Anyone preorder from Walmart? Anyone with experience from past product launches?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cscottrun, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Cscottrun macrumors 6502

Just left Walmart. I was first on the list. Anyone else preorder there? Or have in past experiences? Kinda seemed liked they had no idea what was going on. I pulled up the internal document from 9to5mac and was basically telling them what to do.

2. protobiont macrumors 6502a

I did. I posted a similar thread, but got no replies.

They were also clueless at mine; I got there at 7:55 and no one had a clue, came back at noon and was 2nd on the list.

What capacity are you hoping for? I want a 32, but they didn't seem to know anything about storage sizes. I'll be leaving my Oct 5 apple order in the system until I know they have a 32 (or 64) for me.

3. Cscottrun thread starter macrumors 6502

Im looking to get a 16 gb, I had them make note on the order sheet as it was not specified on the card.

4. Jnyce macrumors regular

5. protobiont macrumors 6502a

I'm sure you'll be fine then. Last year they only had 16's at launch. I'm really hoping that changed this year!!

----------

I'm sure a few do, but I hear ya.

6. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

Just heard that Apple is only sending out like 1 phone per store because they attempted to presage early and are on punishment now. Wanted to see if this was true. They seemed pretty clueless and no one had an idea where the hell the preorder vouchers were, even at different locations.

7. Cscottrun thread starter macrumors 6502

Where did you hear this?

8. protobiont macrumors 6502a

Doubtful. Not saying they will have a glut of phones, but 1 per store sounds absurd.

9. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

Heard from a Target employee so it isn't exactly the best source, but it does kind of answer why they were advertising for presale a day early, but had no vouchers to back it up.

10. protobiont macrumors 6502a

I just think they don't educate their employees well. Apparently a 3rd party (vudu?) came in mid morning and set the display up for them.

11. AznTakumi macrumors regular

Sorry to burst your bubble but this is what it saids on walmart website.

"** iPhone in-Store Preorder

We're excited to offer the new iPhone 5 16GB in both White and Black at a low price of $189.97.
    For the first time, you will be able to pre-order the new iPhone 5 at your local Walmart starting at 8 a.m. local time September 14th.

Preorder Process:
    Pick up a reservation card in the wireless and/or connection center at your local Walmart.
    Pay a $25.00 deposit toward the purchase of the iPhone 5.
    On September 21, bring your reservation card and receipt to the store where you originally paid your deposit.
    You will receive a $4.99 VUDU movie credit toward the purchase of any movie of your choice.

** iPhone inventory limited to stock on hand, Carriers and available products may vary by store and location, Price is with new 2-year contract or qualifying upgrade. "

I also talked to their employees and that informed me that they will only be getting the 16gb phone

12. protobiont macrumors 6502a

No worries. I was pretty much expecting this. It was worth a try, and I'll just use the card towards some accessories. I guess it's October 5 for me. Thanks.

13. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

this is how it was last year. Most stores got 2 phones tops, and it was first come first serve. I would imagine they will get a low supply and it will be first come first serve among those that "pre registered"

14. leenak macrumors 68020

Depends, they are different beasts but the rMBPs were released in a similar fashion. Some stores had none at release, some had 1-2 and that included Apple stores. I think iPhones will be better stocked in stores but I can't imagine Walmart being high on the list.

15. protobiont macrumors 6502a

Wouldn't they at least get 1 of each color and per carrier? Seems like bad PR for Walmart to announce "pre-orders" and then the first guy comes in and can't get a phone cause they only have the ATt version...

16. leenak macrumors 68020

Walmart has no clue what they will get until the box is opened up and they find out. I've read that multiple times from various launches. Walmart just knows they are on the list to get iPhones.

And I'm guessing if you go in on the 21st and there is no phone, they will tell you to come back tomorrow.

17. protobiont macrumors 6502a

Glad I kept my order with Apple then!!

18. AznTakumi macrumors regular

You can always return the pre-order. I was able to return mine because I was 16th on the list a walmart located in my town and I found out that another walmart only has 2 on the list. I returned my pre-order and signed up at the other walmart to be third. =3

19. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

This is so ghetto.. This walmart I went to didn't even say whether I was 1st or 2nd or what.. they just said they JUST got it.

What's going on?

20. protobiont macrumors 6502a

That is odd. Did they mean they just got the phones in stock?

21. DravenGSX macrumors 6502a

Walmart, Best Buy and Radio Shack have all been absolute disasters in the past.

I wouldn't waste my time with any of them.

Good luck.

22. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

Yes, so I got the reservation card at walmart but they had no idea what I was talking about. I called back and demanded that I get some kind of confirmation. They told me to call back on thursday ... I also spoke to the manager before I left the make sure I get my money back if I don't get my phone on friday.. Yes, this could be huge waste of time.(they did admit that, they are not entirely sure if phone will be there on friday).

I might have to hit the apple store.. which I was trying to avoid.. I might also try verizon store.

23. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

no.. I meant they just got the reservation card.

24. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

SO pissed off! :mad: I just called Walmart and they're stopping all iPhone 5 preorders in 10 minutes! And no one else has even preordered one at this store yet! The lady said that they just got the memo. Of course it's a 30 minute drive there, so looks like I missed that opportunity... I can either preorder at Radioshack and be 4th (or later if more people preorder before I get there) or risk it by calling up AT&T and Walmart launch day, but be unable to get there until 4PM. I have an Apple preorder secured either way but that's delayed to October 5th.

25. xFierce macrumors newbie

So I just got my iPhone 5 pre-order in. But since I don't have an early upgrade do you think I'll still be qualified for the semi-discount early upgrade from AT&T where I pay $449 for the 16 gb rather than $199 with a 2-year contract?