Anyone Purchase the iPhone5, use it and return to their 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by braddick, Oct 31, 2012.

1. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Not meant to be a iPhone5 bashing thread but rather a 4S positive thread (kind of).
    Anyone purchase the iPhone5 on or close to launch day and use it for a couple of weeks, plus or minus- and switch back to the iPhone4S?

If so, why?
    (I ask, as I am thinking of doing so myself.)

2. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I see this as a very positive thread. We are here to share experiences.

I happen to find the 4S, an excellent iPhone. Yet I always upgrade without fail at each new model.

Bought the iPhone 5. It came out of the box with major scratches, returned it for another. This one had smaller scratches, chalked it up as normal since my MBPr also came with scratches.

Used the iPhone 5 for a few weeks, but was nonplussed.

Uninteresting, to sum it up in a word.

Worse... Apple Maps... oops.. nice try, but horribly unfinished, inaccurate and useless.

Narrow (same width) display just like the 4S... what's the advantage? Another row of icons vertically... not for me.

iOS6... same, needs work.

I have every confidence that Apple will fix these issues, but I'm not going to be a free beta tester.

Shelved the iPhone 5, returned to my _Best Yet iPhone 4S_

Google Maps!
    Scratch Resistant!
    Better Build Quality!
    More Compact!

That's my story :)

3. Beeplance, Oct 31, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012

Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

I know some people who tried the iPhone 5 at the store, didn't like it, and went ahead with a new 4S instead. If I'm not wrong, forumer Sedrick is one of them. He bought a new 4S after the 5 came out, and lucky for him, the 4S was on iOS 5.1.1.

I heard he quoting superior build quality as the reason he went for the 4S. But, then again different people have different taste and preferences, so it's up to the individual. The 4S is still a very capable phone, nothing wrong with getting it now. Here's what he said:

4. cababah macrumors 68000

Hahaha @ better build quality argument for the 4S. I went through 5 or so 4Ss to get one that didn't have a build quality issue. My 5 was perfect out of the box.

5. SurferPup macrumors member

SurferPup

Slow Wi-Fi Speed On iPhone 5

Everything is good about the iPhone 5 except for the slow iPhone 5 Wi-Fi speed. I have the iPhone 4S and tested side by side in various Wi-Fi zones and found the 5 speed always much slower. I have called Apple support and they suggested that I make various router reconfigurations - that won't solve the problem and why should I if all of my other 20+ Wi-Fi devices are functioning fully? I have been to a physical Apple Store and they said a future iOS 6 software update will fix the problem which is acceptable, I only hope it is not a hardware issue with the wireless Qualcomm chip. Otherwise the iPhone 5 is noticeably slimmer, lighter, the screen a little smoother on the eyes and like the new lightning dock.

6. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

And just like your 5, my 4S was perfect out of the box, and STILL looks perfect. My swapped 4S was perfect out of the box, too.

It seems that A LOT of people got a damaged/scratched iPhone 5 out of the box. So you're acting like the quality control isn't an issue whatsoever. I remember last year when the 4S came out, there weren't many "MY IPHONE IS SCRATCHED OUT OF THE BOX" topics. In general, the 4S had less hardware complaints than the 5.

The build quality for the 4S does seem superior, in the long run. If you took a 2 year old 4S and put it next to a 2 year old 5, the 4S would probably look newer. Sure the 4S has a glass back, and it can shatter. But replacing that back is so cheap that it really doesn't even matter.