Anyone regret they bought a 17" instead of a 15 mbp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lukester, Jun 13, 2010.

1. lukester macrumors 6502

I went for the 17 for the higher res screen and more output options.
    I have not received it yet so I don't know. I hope I made the right decision.
    I do have a 30" acd so maybe I didn't need the extra size. However it only cost me $50 more for the 17 over the 15. Hi res i7

just wondering if anyone has not like the 17 based on the size factor?

2. One6 macrumors newbie

My friend let me use his 17inch for a few days. Its nice and big and obviously heavier then the 15 inch. I find it harder to carry around because of the weight. I had it in my Timbuk2 bag, it was alright for a few mins but i started to feel the weight. If you don't plan to lug it around a lot the 17 inch is a great size.

3. Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

hi. i see a lot of threads where people have taken back their 17 inchers for a 15 incher. i don't understand the 17 inch hate. i got one a month ago and i love love love the size! i came from a toshiba x200 (great computer, btw) which is hulking beast of a laptop, so this MPB moves around really easy for me. i'm not a big guy either. it's only an inch wider in every dimension (except height) and a pound heavier. so unless you're working on a thumbtack or you're an anemic asthamtic who eats only straw, the dimensions, at least to me aren't that big of an issue!

i had a buddy who i took the "mac plunge" with who got a 15, and it wasn't that much smaller than my 17. he has however taken it back because he hated OSX.

edit: oops, i forgot to mention i'm a university student who takes his laptop with him to class every day!

4. lukester thread starter macrumors 6502

I have a number of windows open so the wider hi res should make viewing better. I only take it out on vaca and a few other rimes anyways

5. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

I am debating this right now.

The cost difference for the two setups I have chosen is only 200 bones but I do not want to get stuck lugging around a beast. I wish there were an apple store by me so I could try them both out.

Configuration

* 2.66GHz Intel Core i7
    * 8GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2X4GB
    * 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm
    * SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    * MacBook Pro 17-inch Hi-Resolution Antiglare Widescreen Display
    * Backlit Keyboard (English) & User's Guide
    * Accessory kit

Or

* 2.66GHz Intel Core i7
    * 8GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
    * 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm
    * SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    * MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display
    * Backlit Keyboard (English) & User's Guide
    * Accessory kit

6. 2high2aim macrumors 6502

honestly everyone is going to tell you their opinion but in the end its YOUR OPINION that matters. I got the 15" because its big enough and I use it everyday and take notes in most of my classes. Plus the 15" fits perfectly in my backpack and if I had the 17 it would probably hit the zipper or something. I love my 15" but ppl can argue that the 17 gives more screen real estate but honestly do you need more real estate than what the 15 gives you and also what are you going to be using this laptop for? 13" is great to take places, 15" is ok but gives the performance, 17" is "too big" *(for me) to take everywhere and has on pair performance. There if you are going to be using it a bunch of different places a smaller form factor might be a good thing. GL and Im sure which ever one you do decide on will be great.

BTW 8GB? wow thats a lot...Im happy with my 4gb (want to get an SSD when third gen of Intel SSDs come out with great space and smaller price my aims is for something above 256 and the least but ideally want around 500 or more)

7. psingh01 macrumors 65816

I've had one for 3 years. I've only regtted it when I travelled or was at a conference. Taking it in and out of it's case was a pain in places with limited space. It mostly sits on my desk and I love it.

8. deus ex machina macrumors regular

5.6 pounds vs. 6.6 pounds, I am not all that certain that is enough to call weight a serious issue. There are other ergonomic issues. Go to an Apple store, sit in front of each and start typing. The extended wrist rest can be uncomfortable for some.

As for 17" advantages, it has 3 usb ports and the 34 express card slot for adding a number of other i/o's

The 8GB of RAM might not be all that necessary.

I have a 15", but would have picked up a 17" if I had the extra monies available.

9. mwchris macrumors regular

Surprised no one else has said this . . .

Depending on how you are going to use it (pack it around everywhere, or only on occasion), I would say get the 15'' and then take the money saved and buy a monitor for your desk, say 20-30''???

10. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

I am adding the 8GB so I can give 4GB to a Windows 7/Windows 2008 Server/Cisco CUCM Virtual machines. Whether I like it or not, I need to virtualize since my companies core business is Windows and RedHat Server.

11. sadcamper macrumors regular

I just got my 17" i7 AG and don't regret it at all. Frankly, I had a harder time deciding between the display options than the size. As far as ergonomics go, I find the 17" more comfortable to type on personally.

12. The Final Cut macrumors 6502

I regret buying it over the 13" (or a new macbook air if they had been updated in time) mostly a cost issue. however I was not that impressed with their speed, still has the same problems I had with my core 2 machines.

13. Hexero macrumors regular

(MBP in sig) The resolution on this thing is fantastic. The screen is fantastic. The whole computer is bigger, and perfect. But, if your gonna use it on school, get a 13 or a 15". I've noticed that the 17" is a bit too much, but I'm ok with it. As a desktop computer its awesome.

14. Lokrado macrumors regular

whats the point in a notebook as a desktop computer?
    if you want to use it as a desktop computer why not just get a iMac or Mac Pro and get a whole lot more bang for your buck! + you can add any extra screen you like.

as for weight goes i own the MBP 17", by now I have gotten used to carrying it around on my back, and quite frankly, if I cant feel the little extra weight I find myself checking to see if someone stole it!

15. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Even on my 13" I wish I had 8GB of RAM. I do alot on the macbook pro (basically use it as a desktop most of the time with alot of spaces and apps running) so 8GB of RAM would be ideal for me.

As for me, I've sold my 17" i7 2.66GHz model because I noticed that I never take it anywhere around, not even around the house!

It always stays on my desk so I thought I'd sell it and buy the 13" mbp connected to my external monitor and used as a desktop would be fast enough for my uses (and it is).

Originally I was settling with the mac mini but when connecting it to my HDTV, the nvidia 9400m couldnt play all my 1080p mkv files smoothly. Any bluray mkv files bigger than 10GB would play with stutter (not even driving the mini on dual screens either) and the framerate takes a big hit in fast moving scenes). Anyway, I bought the 13" macbook pro to test out its nvidia 320m and it makes a HUGE difference. I just have it connected to my external display and carry the 13" macbook pro to my hdtv to hook it up to watch a movie. It works like a charm, no more framerates dropping either and runs buttery smooth and everything I throw at it.

I never thought that plex player would matter at all between the 9400m and the 320m but it seems that since my hdtv is 52", driving it requires a better gpu and it sure shows it.

I'm very impressed with my 13" macbook pro that I bought for $999 at microcenter! I know the 2.4GHz is slower than the 17" i7 2.66GHz I sold but in everyday use, I cannot tell the difference at all especially the 320m vs. 330m under OSX. I'm sure it'll be a big difference in gaming but so far imo the 13" mbp gives the best bang for buck!

The Nvidia 320m is impressive, it scores a little under the 9600m gt of last generation macbook pros but under OSX it seems to run everything buttery smooth (just like the dedicated gpu of 330m). But here's the kicker, since the nvidia 320m is still an integrated gpu, it hardly ever gets hot or even really warm! I can now use my 13" macbook pro on my lap without using the iLap AND I'm getting 9 and a half hours of battery life while getting the performance of a nvidia 9600m gt card!

When school starts in the fall, I'll be carrying the 13" macbook pro around (and I have before) and it is ideal to lug around the campus for 7+ hours a day.

I've tried lugging around the 17" macbook pro around the campus last semester and while it is a great workout, it was quite tiresome. But the weight isnt what bothered me the most, it was the form factor. The 17" is large in dimension, so it is not very comfortable to take out of your backpack (I even have the brenthaven 17" pro backpack) to use and put back quickly.

16. jason1466 macrumors newbie

Just got the 2010 i5 MBP 17 this week. I find the 1lb and 1" extra well worth the trade offs. I do not need ANY external monitor + keyboard + mouse with cables hanging all over the place. I do not have to experience my window locations switching every day when I move about my house and/or use it at work then home. I have used it on lap on the sofa with great results. The AC adapter is extremely small and light, and the trackpoint is so good that I honestly don't need anything else to carry with me in the bag, so overall carry weight is comparable to any other-than-MBP15 15" laptop with accessories in bag. I actually picked a 16" Targus PC case for this new baby which fits it perfectly, so maybe that explains it all best.

BTY, I am a sw developer, so for me the choice was easy, but the above points should apply to most users I think.

Hope this helps someone.

17. nickcassell macrumors newbie

The twin speakers flanking the 17 keyboard have been described as "room filling sound!" I desperately want top sound quality. Also, with an eyetv module, the 17 could serve as the only LCD TV of the household. So: Hi-Fi and Big screen TV, alot more to the 17 methinks.

18. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

How come only the 17" has an expresscard slot? How can it be a Macbook "Pro" without one?

19. elmarjazz macrumors member

Had a 17" pre-unibody HR/AG before and never even crossed my mind to go smaller with my new 17" MBP. After having Powerbooks with standard (small) screens for years, the MBP desktop with the 17" is a revelation, just plain fun and much easier to use.

Granted, I use my MBP moving around the house in different locations during the day, and its fine for that. Now if I wanted real portability, and that was a major consideration, a 13" may be the better idea as I don't feel too much difference between the 17" and 15" in actual package size.

20. elmarjazz macrumors member

And yes as mentioned besides the extra real-estate... you get 3 USB ports, the express card slot, and bigger/better sound

21. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

I think laptops make terrible desktops: They're small, get hot, and you have to be careful with the battery maintenance so as to not kill it. Plus, the wiring is more awkward and ugly than if you have a desktop. Setting it on a Rain mStand looks stupid too, with the wires hanging off the sides.. sorry guys but I disagree with ya'll on the "get an external monitor" bit.

Plus, he has a 30" ADC so it doesn't matter.

Point was though, 17" vs 15"? I have a desktop with a 23" and would go for the 17" in a heartbeat. I love high res screens where you can do some serious work without having to feel like a lion in a cage.

It's too bad the 17" macbook pro doesn't offer something over the 15", like 4 memory slots or more gpu memory.. that'd be nice!

*says the dude with a 16.4" laptop*.. s

22. lukester thread starter macrumors 6502

Desktops are so powerful now, who needs two computers?
    I don't want to maintain 2 computers. To me a desktop is a wise choice if you only want 1 computer.

23. sadcamper macrumors regular

In general I would agree with you, but until Apple sorts out all the issues with the iMac displays, some of us had to resort to buying something else (without buying a PC).

24. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

I took the 15" because 17" is too large for me, I need moblity and power, so I decide for the 15", great machine so far...

25. elmarjazz macrumors member

Although I use my MBP mostly as a 'desktop', I can't get along without the moving room to room, table to table or outside the porch. The MBP may not be as powerful as even a iMac, but its portability out weight its limitations for what I use it for by far. And trying to sync two computers in use day to day is a pain.

That being said, a big screen on the MBP makes sense, and if I need to be tethered to a full size screen for a better view for photo editing its a pug-in away and I have two screens that are the same (24" and 17" with the same information size).