Anyone regretting going 16GB over 32?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vito, Sep 20, 2012.

1. vito macrumors 6502a

Wondering if I should have gone for the 32GB over the 16? It's only an additional £71 here in the UK.

I currently have around 9GB spare on mine but don't have any music, I suppose I could have all my content in the cloud.

What do you guys think?

2. Maxumo macrumors newbie

I'm going from 16gb to 32gb purely for the size of the big games/apps that will be avaliable fifa 13 etc

3. Kukulcan macrumors 6502

The extra 16GB cost Apple $10 and they add $100 for it, for me that is anything but "only".

4. Lindsford macrumors 6502a

I went 32GB last go round and most of the space was used by music i never/hardly listen to.

Went 64GB on iPad so went 16gb on the iPhone5

5. braddels macrumors member

braddels

I was thinking about doing this, but i instead chose to add apple care instead as I have my iPad (with hardly any content on it) for the larger games and don't have a massive music collection.

My manager however needs a 64gb because he has 70GB of music. He would have loved a 128GB version but doubt he would have paid for it

6. vito thread starter macrumors 6502a

You've made a good point, I have noticed games are getting bigger in size!

I was referring to the cost for the end user, do you think the additional $100 is worth it in terms of doubling the capacity?

----------

I went for the 32GB iPad and I've only used 40% so far. I suppose it's the concept of buying more than you need actually provides you with a security blanket like feeling :D

7. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

I think 32GB is the ones to go for :) i have a 16GB iPhone 4 that has 32mb free most of the time so im 100% getting a 32GB. I wanted a 64GB but its just to much £!

8. DMHmac macrumors member

That's a ridiculous amount for another 16GB of storage. I am perfectly happy that I got the 16GB Black.

9. nasa25 macrumors 65816

Dude 71 quid is over $100. You guys are getting beaten up on the exchange.

10. Kukulcan macrumors 6502

Only you can decide, I chose 16 because I will only install a handful of games that fit the small screen and short burst of playing. Everything else goes to iPad.

And no movies neither, so it is only Navigon, music (most of it in the cloud), audiobooks and some smaller convenience apps.

11. JesalTV Guest

I went for the 16gb and changed my mind at the last minute to 32.

I've had a 32gb iPhone 4 for 2 years, and that's the perfect size for someone like me - plus I don't have iTunes Match.

I'm a music head.

12. Crotalus_Joe macrumors regular

I have a 32 iPhone4, went with the 16 for the 5. I am second guessing it, might have to do an exchange in a couple weeks.

I dont use the full 32, but i am not sure i can get under 16, a 24 would be perfect for me :)

13. sineplex macrumors 6502

The end user on your phone is you.

I got an ipad2 64 gig last year and filled it 50% trying this and that.after a few months i realise all i do is mainly check the web and email and read.

i sold the ipad2 64Gb and got an ipad 3 16Gb and it's enough, it's plenty.

are you going to fill it will heaps of mp3? i just stream it all at home.

14. EdwardSung, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012

EdwardSung macrumors regular

I do have some qualms about having "only" 16 GB -- which is what I have now on my 4 -- but I think that's based on how I used to use my iPhone/iPod in the past, when I loaded up my device with tons and tons of music/podcasts/audiobooks/video. I find I don't do that anymore. I did have 32 GB on my 3GS, but all I really did with it was hoard media I never listened to or watched.

Now I have iTunes Match, my music is all in the cloud. It's trivial to move media and apps on and off of my phone, so I only need to have on there what I'm actually using at any given time. I'm not that big into iPhone gaming, so I don't have a lot of huge apps taking up space. Storage just isn't as big a deal as it was a few years ago.

If the extra storage were less expensive, I'd probably go for it, but for me it's not offering enough value to justify the cost. I'd rather put that money towards AppleCare, or accessories, or -- as I'm suspecting will be the case -- a bigger data plan. LTE will -- or should, anyway -- make streaming so much faster that it will be nearly indistinguishable from locally stored media.

15. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

As the old saying goes: "You never go full retard."

16. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

I had a 16GB iPhone 4. I went to the Apple store after a week and traded it in for an upgrade to a 32GB model. I've never gone back since.

17. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

16GB is fine for my phone.

My next iPad will be 32GB

18. Jarson macrumors regular

Jarson

There are thousands if not millions threads about capacity...

19. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

My last two iPhones (3GS and 4) were 32GB. Plenty of space for the 3GS but after the 4 rolled around it seems apps started getting prettier and that meant larger. I do keep about 5GB of music on my phone -- no videos. But the biggest consumer of storage is apps. My iPhone 4 has 5GB of free space so I bought the 64.

My perspective is always buy one model more than you need. For $100 it's the best iPhone "accessory" deal going, especially since you can't buy more storage later unless you buy a whole new phone. I don't know how contracts work in the UK, but in the US a two year contract is a long time to be short storage.

20. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

I'm glad I went with 64 GB this time. Having had 32 GB before I it was almost full with all my music.

21. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

I have an 16GB iPhone 4S with around 6GB free. Music and photos seem to take up the most space with over 5GB total between them. However, I'm not sure if that still leaves me enough room for growth as apps potentially get larger to accommodate the larger screen.

I'm going to talk to my rep today and see what he says about the ability to swap for a 32GB on release day (tomorrow).

22. levitynyc macrumors 65816

i used to always go for the largest, but having iTunes Match negates the need for this for me.

23. kazpod macrumors member

If you use your iphone for music and photos, for that reason alone you should go with 32gb.

I have always had a 16gb and with the increasing file sizes and use of the phone, I can't fathom why if you are on the fence about getting a 16 or 32, not doing it over $100....

Yeah you will regret it. If you are even close to 16gb now, realize you are going to have the phone for another 2 years....how much more space will you need within a 2 year time period?

Go with the 32gb if you even have to ask yourself which one to get.

24. donrsd macrumors 6502

donrsd

For the price Apple charges to "move up", Ill pass.

I sold my iPhone 4s for $420 with the intent of buying a 64GB iPhone 5 (which arrives at my door tomorrow)

Instead I bought a 16GB ATT Black iPhone 5 & purchased iTunes Match for $25/year.
    With the extra $$$ from my iPhone 4S sale I bought some new rear shocks for my 2002 Cadillac Deville DTS :)

The resale value on the 32/64GB isnt worth the extra $100/$200 premium.

25. lordhamster macrumors 6502

My wife has a 32GB iPhone 4 that she uses exactly 3.9GB on.

I have a Galaxy nexus (16GB) that I use about 6GB on.

Our 32GB iPad has 10GB used (Mostly movies for my son)

My 16GB work iPad has 4GB used. So yeah, I'm not too worried about the capacity.

For files, I use dropbox.
    For music, I've been using Google Play (like itunes match).

The only real music I listen two on my phone is streaming content anyway or Podcasts. Heck, even for movies I tend to fire up Netflix when I need to keep my son quiet at a restaurant.

IMO the availability of Wifi and fast LTE everywhere negates the need for storage.