Anyone reluctant to buy an iPhone 4 because you're afraid it'll crack?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cathyy, Jul 20, 2010.

1. cathyy macrumors 6502a

So yeah, I've been wanting to get an iPhone for almost a year now, and I held out for the iPhone 4. However now that it has been announced and going to be released in my country in another 10 days, I'm a bit reluctant because I'm honestly afraid I'll drop it and it'll crack.

Presently I own a Sony Ericsson W910i and an iPod Touch. I have dropped my W910i at least 2 dozen times, and it's slightly dented on the corners with the paint all chipped, but it still runs fine and the screen is still perfect. (tough little guy)

For my iPod Touch, I've only dropped it twice so far from a short height and it's still fine.

However it seems like the iPhone 4 is really vulnerable to breaking, and I'm the type of person who hates using covers. I'm really afraid of getting one because I'm quite sure I'll drop it and it just might have a really bad crack. Anyone else in the same boat as me? :(

2. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

Afraid? Get a case. Done. Now enjoy the worlds best phone. The bumper (free) will protect it from drops on concrete up to 6 feet. Enjoy. Not comfortable? Get Square Trade.

3. headcheese macrumors regular

4. cathyy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just mentioned that I hate using casings and covers. It adds so much bulk to it. Furthermore, people who use casings will never dare to remove it once they put it on. They will never be able to enjoy how good the phone feels in their hands.

5. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

6. -MRB macrumors 6502

It's the same with many phones. You drop them, they break.

But i've dropped my iP4 many times (Drunk) With a bumper, and it hasnt even touched it :)

7. headcheese macrumors regular

Not true at all. I have a bumper, and a Switcheasy Colors case, both of which come off easily. When I'm in a safe spot with carpet (ie my home and office) I rock it naked. Any other time I slap on an incredibly easy to remove case.

Live a little OP. How are YOU going to "be able to enjoy how good the phone feels in their hands" when you're too scared to even BUY it. :rolleyes:

8. skiltrip macrumors 68030

If you drop stuff a lot, and you wanna rock it naked, you might as well not buy it. Unless you're going to treat it like an infant. But if really are prone to drop stuff, you still might drop it. I wouldn't rock it naked if you are a butterfingers.

I too have had some reservations due to what looks like it's fragility. I had a Nextel for a number of years, and that thing was bulletproof. You could seriously throw it across a parking lot and then go get it, and all you'd have is some scratches on it. Even my cheapo Virgin Mobile phones can take some good falls, and nothing but a few scuffs happen.

All that said, when I get my iPhone, it will be cased when I'm out in the big bad world.

But the best thing you can do, like someone said above, is seriously stop dropping stuff. Be careful, mindful. Accidents happen though, and for that, there are cases. Get over the sexy nakedness of the naked phone (which is weird anyway, it's a phone), and put a case on it.

9. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

The iPhone 4 us not for the gravity challenged without a big fat case.

10. frosse macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't say reluctant to buy but surely very nervous that I will drop it...because I will :) I don't want a case though, ruins the whole design, so I'll go with an extra insurance :cool:

11. mrblack927 macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

I'm always worried about cracking the glass on my iPhone. However, I have replaced an iPhone screen for a friend before. I got a replacement screen on eBay for the very moderate price of $50 and installation was quick and easy. As far as I know, he's had no problems with the phone since. So I'm not super-paranoid about it since I know I can fix it.

12. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Totally happened to me the other day, i was afraid to buy eggs because ei was afraid that they could break, or maybe be bad inside:confused:. /s (just in case)

Please! Go get your phone if you want it and enjoy iy

13. SophiaLee macrumors 6502a

SophiaLee

My back glass is already shattered. And apparently I'm the only person in the universe that Apple did not give a free replacement to.

14. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

The iP4 needs a case, period. You are talking about a glass phone! This phone is not for you. Accept it.

15. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Honestly, so do I. I put a case on it anyways. Not worth the risk and on top of that, would you rather have not have a good phone/computer thingy and not have to have a case, or suck up having a case and it doesn't look too snazzy but you get a phone that you really enjoy using?

16. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

Don't live your life in fear of something, you may end up dying young! Enjoy iPhone 4

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I got a iFrogz luxe case for my iPhone. It doesn't add much bulk to the phone. But if you don't want to get a case, then you better be careful because of all of the glass.

18. BadMoon macrumors 6502

Totally scared! Buyers beware!

Posted from my iPhone 4

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It was and is a concern, since my wife has an illustrious history of dropping her phone. Her 3G weathered the drops admirably but I'm not quite as confident the IP4 will.

I'll be in search of a case for her, but because the phone is still relatively new, the selection and volume of cases available is limited.

20. Polo5 macrumors regular

I personally think the iPhone 4 is the most slippery phone that apple has created to date (even more than the original iPhone 2G). If you plan to buy it and use it naked, you REALLY got to be careful with it. If you are like me that just treats the phone as another gadget and tends to be careless sometimes, then a bumper/case is highly recommended.

21. Mac7 macrumors 6502a

Mac7

22. L.C.W. macrumors regular

L.C.W.

3GS was WAY slipperier.... seems they dialed down the oleophobic coating on the iP4...

23. Bonds79 macrumors 6502

No but there was a thread here that said the back glass was cracking due to certain cases.................:(