anyone ride triathlon bike on hilly/curvy roads?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iOrlando, Dec 14, 2009.

1. iOrlando macrumors 68000

did you find triathlon bikes were able to handle sharp turns and some hills? I know they are not meant for it, but I am torn between going with that bike or sticking with a road bike.

2. hmmfe macrumors regular

I've never owned a tri/tt bike but I've ridden them. Unless you are serious about the sport, I'd recommend a good road bike. You can always get some bars to replace the drops and you can get in a decent aero position with those. I good road bike can pretty much do it all. The only reason I could see going to a tri/tt bike is if you compete in triathalons or time trials.

Of course this is just one person's opinion. I'm sure you'll get answers all across the board.

3. iOrlando thread starter macrumors 68000

thats pretty much what i heard from those i ask. I am not a professional and am looking to do a few trialthlons from time to time, but i would bike more or less every weekend...so i guess i am leaning towards a road bike but i just wanted to get more reviews.

4. hmmfe macrumors regular

Yeah, in that case I don't think you'd like the riding position much for general riding. Again, you can rig a standard road bike for such duty if you like. A decent set of aero wheels and some tri bars will get you most of the way there for occasional use. Of course, you'll get the Tri snobs that will snicker at you but on the few 1/2 Tris I've done you see a good number of re-purposed road bikes out there. I might be biased, but a good road frame can do it all with the addition of some parts here and there. You'd have to be really good to see any advantage from a specialty bike. I've seen a professional cyclist on a bmx bike blow the doors off some club-level road bikers that thought it was funny he was riding a bmx bike.