Anyone run out and buy the latest Airport Extreme?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Mr Dobey, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Mr Dobey macrumors 6502

Having the newest toy is great, but do you think there is really going to be a speed difference with the new Airport Extreme? I mean they didn't even really advertise it??

Right now if I do a speed test with speedtest.net I get the exact same +/- 25Mbps using a direct Ethernet connection to my MacBook Pro as using an previous generation Airport Extreme. Logically there would be no need to upgrade right?

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

No, not much of an upgrade to consider getting one.

3. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I probably will if the 50% increase is real. Plus, we have the 100mbps version and it'd be nice to have the gbps version. You know, for all that Blu-ray goodness. :D

4. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

I've been posting this on some other threads ... not sure if this applies to you or not, but it could be important for others that are considering upgrading.

The new Airport Extremes require OS X 10.5.7 or WinXP SP3 or Vista for setting up. So if you're still running Tiger or XP SP2, you need to upgrade. I found this out after returning my 4 day old AEBS for the new AEBS. I had to upgrade my PC laptop to SP3 (took about an hour).

5. Mr Dobey thread starter macrumors 6502

6. N10248 macrumors 6502a

N10248

I've got one ordered, I already have an earlier N model, but my iMac rarely connects at a speed any higher than a G one and as soon as I use my ipod or xbox or other computer on it slows the speed down to 54mbs and 11mbs if my old iBook is in use.

I want to have a backup disk on it so hopefully it will be fast enough now to make it useful plus having dual band means it will never knock my iMacs speed down when a non N device is connected too.