Anyone running Dual Momentus XT 750s in Raid 0 in a MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spaceballl, Mar 27, 2012.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I've got a 512GB SSD in my MacBook Pro right now. I could use some more space... Dual SSDs is out of price range. Considering getting dual Momentus XT 750s in Raid 0. I use Time Capsule + Crashplan for backup so i'm not worried about 2x the chance of failure. Has anyone removed their optical drive an popped two of these guys in? I'm thinking that in Raid 0, their performance must get pretty close to SSD level, perhaps better in some cases, but likely not better in most (depends on use-cases).

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

For day to use, I think it would be fine. I have an SSD and then a regular 1TB HDD. I think my combination works for me.

3. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

I would ask this over on Seagate's forum as they have several employees that actually answer questions and inquiries. I remember when the Momentus XT 500 was fist released, Seagate's stance was it was not a good candidate nor was it designed to be implemented in a RAID configuration (their response had something to do with the way the SSD was implemented, although people have done it successfully).

4. allpar macrumors 6502

Followup

Sorry for dredging up this thread but I was interested in the same item. I went to a company that makes an adapter for running dual XTs in a Mac Pro, in a single slot (I suspect heat will be a problem in that setup). Their AJA System Test results for a RAID 0 setup with two Momentus XTs were almost identical to what I'm seeing with a RAID 0 in my Mac Pro, using standard hard drives.

So... a bad idea, I think. Just buy a second hard drive the same specs as your original drive, and do backups often because you're running a RAID 0 ;)

PS> Sweep file sizes, 1920 x 1080 10-bit, disabled file system cache: Write, 199 MB/s; Read, 207 MB/s.