Anyone running FCPX and/or Aperture on new Air 11?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by vrsn, Jul 25, 2011.

1. vrsn macrumors newbie

Would appreciate hearing a report from anyone actually running Final Cut Pro X or Aperture on the new Macbook Air 11".

How is the machine handling tasks? Any bottleneck issues or hickups?

Many thanks.

2. gentlefury macrumors 68030

It actually meets the minimum requirements. I might have to give it a try.

3. vrsn thread starter macrumors newbie

Look forward to reading your results! Not many people chiming in with first hand experience, but I realize it's early in the release timeframe.

4. PeterKG macrumors 6502

Aperture works great on mine. It worked great on my last generation MBA too.

5. webster69 macrumors newbie

I returned the 11 for the 13 - I found the extra screen real estate to be beneficial for aperture, photoshop etc.

I was able to run Aperture fine on the 11 but wasn't something I would be happy with long term as I just found the screen to be too small (I am more satisfied on the 13).

6. KPOM macrumors G5

I just ran Aperture and it processed my library of photos at about 150 per minute. It took about 40 minutes to catalog my library of 6100 photos. I don't have much to gauge it against, but it seems to be considerably faster at that task than my Core 2 Duo-equipped MacBook Air was. The 4 cores stayed around 185 degrees Fahrenheit, and within 2 minutes of stopping had cooled down to about 120 degrees. Activity Monitor showed CPU utilization about 150-170% during the operation.

7. vrsn thread starter macrumors newbie

Good to hear. I love Aperture, but find it very sluggish on my 2009 MacBook Pro and iMac, especially when using brushes/spotting.

I am definitely struggling with the 11 vs 13 issue...the extreme portability is very tempting for all the travel I do. I guess the full screen mode of Lion does not help?

8. vrsn thread starter macrumors newbie

Is this on the i5 or i7 model?

9. KPOM macrumors G5

11" Core i7. Most of my photos are 5mp. Some of my later ones are 8mp, and my earlier ones 3mp. The 150 photos per minute rate held pretty steady throughout the entire operation.

10. vrsn thread starter macrumors newbie

How extensive is the editing you are doing on photos within Aperture? Are you doing much in the way of brushed adjustments? Just curious if there is any lag.