Anyone say, 'heck with it, i'm leaving my carrier early for the 4S'?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by maladjusted, Nov 14, 2011.

1. maladjusted macrumors newbie

I'm a T-mobile customer who has waited patiently the past couple years for T-Mo to get the iPhone. I even was enthusiastic about the MyTouch 4G when I got it, but once it got to the 1-year mark (and just out of warranty) things started not working on it and at times it seems possessed, because it'll turn itself on and off, even with a full charge. Add that to how the iPhone just works better with apple computers and how I've recently had problems with T-Mo reception in my area that I hadn't had before, and I'm at the point where i'm willing to pay the couple hundred bucks penalty to have an iphone 4S, the phone i want, now, and not next fall.

I wonder if there are others who couldn't deal with the wait any longer whether they were with T-Mobile or a smaller carrier, and went to either of the three carriers who have the iPhone, before their contract was up.

Did it hurt much to have to pay to leave, were you able to get a deal from the new carrier because you were leaving before the end of your contract, and do you feel good about your decision?

2. aneftp macrumors 601

Most people on family plans won't leave earlier if at all.

Out of the numberous people I know with iPhones. Most are just sticking out their 3GS or iPhone 4 contract and than leaving.

For those on single lines it may be easier to leave.

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I did. Four phones. Switched from Verizon to AT&T. Paid ETF on two of them (two I had never upgraded).

It is what it is. I want what I want. Life is too short to be stuck with a phone or a carrier I don't want. Sold the old phones on eBay to pay some of the cost. Life is good.

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Verizon to AT&T? Nice. You don't hear that too often.

5. TwinCitiesJHawk macrumors 6502

TwinCitiesJHawk

I left sprint bc of service issues and evo was getting way to slow, paid $200 etf and got the 4s on at&t

6. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Not yet. But unless AT&T changes their unlock policies when the first Verizon iPhone capable of simultaneous data/voice comes out, my husband and I will be switching. My unlocked 4S and his 4 will be going on craigslist or ebay, and that will pay for the ETF and our new phones on Verizon.

7. zelaya macrumors 6502

I know some carriers, can't peak for T-Mobile but they will charge you $5.00 for each month remaining. Don't know if this apply to new smartphones but I remembered 2 years ago Verizon gave me that option and only pay them $60.00 to get out of the contract early. If you explain to them that you're having major issues with signal and the phone and you rather move to another carrier but don't mention you're moving because of the new iPhone. Good luck what ever decision you make.

8. Andrew.s macrumors regular

Andrew.s

Left T-Mobile and went back to AT&T. We had Nexus One's and they just weren't cutting it anymore. Contract was up in February but the phone's were getting that bad. Calling this week to find out the damage in $$$.

Plus side is we'll be getting corprate discount through the wife's work.

9. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

I left T-Mobile for the iPhone 4s on AT&T. I liked my T-Mobile plan and service but I hated their selection of Android phones and I had so many phones from them with defects. Really upset I signed a contract with them this past June for the HTC Sensation 4G, but you live and learn. I'm just relieved I have a good reliable phone now.

10. Andrew.s macrumors regular

Andrew.s

That's my case as well. I had the iPhone 3G almost 2 years ago and then wound up on T-Mobile with an Android phone. Really nice to have a quality, reliable phone again.

11. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

I don't care what anyone says, all of their phones are complete crap.

BlackBerry Bold 9780 - CRAP (Went through 6 of them)
    myTouch 4G - CRAP (Went through 3 of them)
    Samsung Galaxy S 4G - CRAP
    HTC Sensation 4G -BEYOND CRAP, TOUCH THE PHONE WRONG AND THE WIFI SIGNAL IS GONE (Went through 3 of them)

iPhone 4s - AWESOMENESS ;) not one issue :D

12. TheiPhoneChick macrumors 6502

TheiPhoneChick

I waited until Sprint got the iPhone. Used android phone until they got the iPhone. Love the service so there was no need to leave just for a specific phone, for me any way! :)

13. hwnstyle21 macrumors newbie

Left Sprint a little after a year with the EVO to jump back to ATT.

14. djuzi05 macrumors regular

I too was excited when the MyTouch 4g came out. But I quickly realized it was junk... actually once I rooted it a few months ago running CM7 it was actually decent.

Still, I had sworn off Android by then. Luckily, my wife got the MyTouch for me off contract (what a waste of $500 lol) and I've switched to AT&T for the 4s and haven't looked back :cool:

15. Jordan9 macrumors member

Jordan9

I went from Verizon to AT&T last summer for an iPhone 4 after having an original Droid 8 months. I sold the Droid in June thinking a new Droid would be coming out soon and the next iPhone coming out. Turns out both happened and I got a good/fair amount of money for my Droid and accessories on eBay. I had to pay the ETF which ended up being 130 or so. And I bought my iPhone 4 in August when they came in stock on the AT&T premier website, after the debacle that was Best Buy pre-ordering of the iPhone 4(won't make that mistake again). All in all the switch was worth it. Verizon and AT&T have about equal service in my area so that wasn't a problem. But after the switch my phone bill was only $75 after my school discount, and was about $125 on Verizon. My family and GF are all on AT&T so the lower phone plan was a no brainer.

16. powerbuddy macrumors 6502

Waited for a long time for the iPhone to come on T-Mobile. Couldn't wait any longer, since I was already on a non-contract plan, i jumped ship to VZW. Had some issues in the beginning, but things sorted out eventually. Plus 3G speeds are a welcome change.

17. maladjusted thread starter macrumors newbie

Lucky you -- I could get a considerable discount on AT&T service through my employer, but the phone reception is so bad in this part of the country that I'll have to go with Verizon -- great service but higher prices -- instead.

18. ptruong31 macrumors member

I'm actually considering doing that right now, although I only have about 2 months left till my contract expires so my ETF is only about $50. Either way, I'm cheap and I can wait haha. Unless the carrier offers to waive my activation fee if I take the jump early, then I might consider it lol.

I'm considering jumping from T-Mobile to Sprint for the Iphone4s. T-Mobile's ETF's are prorated so there is a chance you dont have to pay the full 200. I forgot what the prorated prices are, but you can search that up on google. It should only be about 100 if you around over a year into your contract.

19. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

AT&T has gained countless Verizon customers coming from non-iPhones. True you don't hear about many Verizon iPhone users switching to AT&T but of course by definition a Verizon iPhone user would have to pay ETF, the iPhone's only been there for less than a year.

20. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Of course. I didn't. It's generally not best practice to switch carriers just for a device. Carrier should always be selected first based on coverage where you need it most.

It's very easy to find the ETF for your carrier.

Why would they? They're already subsidizing your device. The only carrier I know of that offers to offset ETF's is CREDO and they don't have the iPhone (and they're really just an MVNO).

21. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

In the process of doing the exact same thing. My evo is so laggy now, offered to pay etf to buy iPhone 4S and they told me no. Sprint cs has always been pretty bad but this was the last straw for me. If I offer to pay your etf charge I should be allowed an upgrade especially after so many years of using your service. So as soon as I get my iPhone from Apple its bye bye sprint and back to ATT. I gave you a chance to keep me you chose to let me go.

22. maladjusted thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info -- I didn't realize the EFTs were pro-rated. Makes me feel even better about not jumping right in and getting the 4S as soon as it was released. :)

23. Sean006 macrumors 6502

Yeah I left AT&T. They really have gotten worse and worse in the past 6 months in my area.

I switched to Verizon and could not be happier ! Very solid when connected to calls. No sounds of talking under water like AT&T.

Had alltel back in the day and it was also very dependable. I only went to AT&T for the iPhone. (just like most people)

Verizon rocks !