Anyone see a difference in the speaker quality on the iPhone 4S vs 1Phone 3GS or 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iRobby, Oct 27, 2011.

1. iRobby macrumors 6502a

iRobby

Coming from a iPhone 3GS to iPhone 4S I see a dramatic improvement in the sound quality of the speaker.

Was there also an improvement coming from the 4 to 4S?

I also found the 3GS was less stereo sound and muffled but the 4S is crystal clear and louder

2. bassjunky macrumors regular

I'm probably one of the few who did upgrade from a 4 to a 4S. I've found the speaker to be a bit louder, as well as the earspeaker (?) to be significantly louder. With the 4, using the phone up to my ear, I usually had the volume at 100% to hear decently. Now with the 4S, I can have it set much lower and still can hear better.

The speaker, whether on speaker phone or playing music, does seem to be louder as well, though I haven't done any side-by-side comparison.

3. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

What do you mean by less stereo sound? The iPhone only ever had one speaker, the other one is a mic.

And yes I gave found the speaker on the 4S to be both louder and a bit bassier than my previous 4.

I also found that the speaker phone on max volume doesn't distort like it did on my 4 (which I had to reduce by a notch to eliminate the distortion).

4. iRobby thread starter macrumors 6502a

iRobby

guess "stereo" was the wrong word to use lol. But I can actually listen to the music without the speakers I docked my 3GS to. It's not as good as the speakers of course but it is so good that if I'm laying in bed playing the music on the phone beside me is more than good enough.

5. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

4 to 4s switcher here. speaker on the 4s is definitely different. clearer and louder.

6. Mattyk182 macrumors member

I'm also coming from a 3gs and there is NO DOUBT that the speaker and sound quality is better. I was amazed at how loud the alerts are. I love it!

7. steph280 macrumors member

+1 on 4 -> 4s improvement. It certainly is louder and clearer. I used to max out the ringer volume on the 4, not anymore with the 4s.

8. drmikey macrumors member

Same boat. I compaired the two quite a bit and love the improved speaker performance over the 3GS.

Using the iPhone as a speakerphone is doable now. My wife wouldn't let me use my 3GS when we would use speakerphone to talk to her folks.

9. Gordonw macrumors member

Also upgraded from a 3GS. I definitely noticed the difference. It's much improved over the 3GS. Can't say if it's louder but its much clearer and more usable. I also notice the call quality is better compared to my 3GS.