anyone speak german?

zimv20

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
i need help with a single phrase: New World Monkeys

where New World should be read as referring to the U.S. The babelfish translation seems incorrect.

danke!

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
In German, two nouns together are compounded into a single noun. So, the phrase "New World Monkeys" (adjective, noun, noun) is translated into "Neue Weltaffen" (adjective, compound noun). "Welt" is "World", and "Affen" is "Monkeys", so "World Monkeys" becomes "Weltaffen". The kicker is that "New World" is, in idiomatic English, a single entity; Babelfish doesn't get that.

I think what you're looking for is either "Amerikanische Affen" ("American Monkeys"), or "Neue Welt Affen" ("New World Monkeys"). I just don't know the German adjectival equivalent to "New World".

zimv20

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
clayjohanson said:
The kicker is that "New World" is, in idiomatic English, a single entity; Babelfish doesn't get that.
exactly.

it's going to be the title of a theater show and i know the director won't want Amerikanische. right now, i'm thinking "Neuwelte Affen", pending comments from native german speakers.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
zimv20 said:
exactly.

it's going to be the title of a theater show and i know the director won't want Amerikanische. right now, i'm thinking "Neuwelte Affen", pending comments from native german speakers.
Well, "Neuwelte" is not a proper German word, so you might get some resistance there.

Why not try "Affen der neuen Welt" ("Monkeys of the New World")?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
zimv20 said:
Neue Weltaffen

as in (New) (World Monkeys)
well for what purpose do you need this title? a project?

for all purposes your own translation is fine, after all it is the name of a place/thing for which the rules are a bit more bendable, as in the name of a company and whatnot.....

Pittsax

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
clayjohanson said:
Well, "Neuwelte" is not a proper German word, so you might get some resistance there.

Why not try "Affen der neuen Welt" ("Monkeys of the New World")?
You beat me to it. I think the most correct way to go about it is to use the Genitive case, like you did. Although for a title it could be a little clunky...

zimv20

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
PlaceofDis said:
well for what purpose do you need this title? a project?
a theater show, yes. based on Dada.

it is the name of a place/thing for which the rules are a bit more bendable
indeed. as you can see from this page, most of the time we've got the accent over the wrong 'e' in Soiree.

kettle

macrumors 65816
Abstract said:
Funny, I've never tried babelfish. I've tried others, though, and they never work.

Nein. :(
I wanted to do that. :(
never mind.
If I'd have done it I would have managed a couple of ss exclamation marks for bad taste.
maybe next year when someone else asks an innocent "can anyone speak German?" question.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I got all my knowledge of the German language from the original Wolfenstein. :D

Achtung! - I think that means "Crap, here comes that luny American with the big guns" but I could be wrong... ;)

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
takao said:
another vote for "Affen der neuen Welt"

sounds the best

you guys are shockingly clueless.

its Neuwelt-Affen (Plathyrrhini) as opposed to Afrikan. Affen (Cercopithecidae).

at least that's the scientific term.

andi

you have to group new world together and translate it. putting world and ape together and translate it is just plain nonsense.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
andiwm2003 said:
you guys are shockingly clueless.

its Neuwelt-Affen (Plathyrrhini) as opposed to Afrikan. Affen (Cercopithecidae).

at least that's the scientific term.

andi

you have to group new world together and translate it. putting world and ape together and translate it is just plain nonsense.
well i'm not a monkey expert ;)
but from the language "Affen der neuen Welt" is identical do "Neuwelt-Affen"

i still think it sounds better for theater show ...

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
AmigoMac said:
Affen der neuen Welt.

Edit: ohh it was posted... na ja!
I was gonna say this too, but this:

Milan said:
"Neuweltaffen" is the correct translation.
Here´s the article for the German Wiki site:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuweltaffen
sounds worse but might be the better translation if in fact he was looking for the zoological term and not an abstract term.

So what were you looking for zim?

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
clayjohanson said:
Isn't it spelled "Österreicher", with an "e", not an "a"?
Man schreibt auch Österraich und Doitschland wenn man Dialekt schreibn will... I hab in ÖSTERRAICH gewohnt ... ;)

See my location... :)

I dunno what your saying ... :D

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
takao said:
well i'm not a monkey expert ;)
but from the language "Affen der neuen Welt" is identical do "Neuwelt-Affen"

i still think it sounds better for theater show ...

well, here at work i feel like a monkey surrounded by monkeys. that makes me an expert. ;)

for a theater i also would recommend "Affen der neuen Welt" over "Neuwelt-Affen" (with or without the dash). unless you want to scare people with "Plathyrrhini".

andi