Anyone still using their iPhone 3G as a daily driver?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by braddick, Aug 3, 2013.

1. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

I found my white iPhone 3G (16GB) this morning and it did bring back good memories.
    I remember thinking it was a pretty decent upgrade over the original iPhone, back in 2008. 3G vs EDGE! What a relief for faster service.

Not that it's laughable now, but am curious if anyone still uses their iPhone3G for everyday use. If so, how is it holding up? Do you need features that 4.2.1 don't provide but are will to accept as a compromise?

2. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

My first iPhone was the 4S, and I thought it was amazing. I have a 5 now, and it's even better! LTE vs. 3G. Big difference!

3. smotania macrumors member

smotania

The OP meant iPhone 3g as a phone/model not as a connection speed. :)

4. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

I have a white iPhone 3G that is still in very good working condition & on iPhone OS 3.1.3. Wouldn't use it as a daily driver unless I'm really desperate in need of a phone. Safari is very slow & every part of the operating system lags essentially.

Just what you'll expect from a 5 years old smartphone. It'll be interesting to see people still using it as their daily driver though.

5. stormchaser macrumors 6502

stormchaser

My 3G got smashed recently so I got the 3GS instead and now have upgraded to a 5 :)
    It was a great phone on 3.1.3.

6. braddick thread starter macrumors 68040

braddick

I agree.
    If anyone is still using their 3G I'd recommend a fresh restore- set up as new and jailbreak (Using redsn0w).

Install iCleaner Pro and follow the directions carefully to speed up your iP3G.

Afterward use iLEX Rat and delete your jailbreak (keeping Cydia on the your device).

Your iPhone will run quicker, albeit nowhere near as the 4S, but closer to the 3GS.

7. CEmajr macrumors 601

iPhone 3G was my first smartphone and it was the only one that I actually kept for the full 2 years. Had to go ahead and give it up back in 2010 when iOS 4 slowed it down and plus the iPhone 4 just looked so beautiful that I had to have it.

Couldn't imagine using one today. It's so slow now. Even the 3GS is pretty laggy.

8. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

My 3Gs is unlocked and is my travel phone. I go places where grab and run thieves love iPhones but my old faithful has never been a target. Thieves don't want it. #

9. MLAM macrumors regular

I know of a girl who has one as her daily phone, she has no complaints with it but for me even I find the iPhone 4 to be quite slow so I can't imagine what the original 3G would be like :D

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I have a 3GS. My sister gave it to me as a Christmas present two years ago when she upgraded. I can't use it as my main phone because I'm on Sprint. But I DID use it to become familiar with iOS because at the time she gave it to me I was preparing to get the iPhone 5. Sprint came out with the 4 and 4S first so I had to wait, but I did have the 3GS set up with Talkatone and iMessage. So, while on WiFi I was able to use it as a phone and still be able to SMS/MMS and iMessage as well as email.

By the time I got my iPhone 5 I was already proficient with iOS so going from my HTC Touch Pro (my daily driver then) to my i5 wasn't as big a leap and adjustment as it could have been.

For awhile there though my 3GS served as a secondary phone (using Google Voice) and it handled that role very, very well. Being able to iMessage my friends in the UK and Australia without incurring text fees was gratifying!

I use it now at home as a media device and for the kids to play iOS games on. It's jailbroken too. Did it on iOS 5 and iOS 6.

11. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I still remember my iPhone 3G. Best damn iPhone I have ever owned. The 4 and 5 have both given me issues, the 3G was solid as a rock. Wish I never sold it..

12. Nolander07 macrumors 6502a

My father-in-law still uses his 3G (8GB) with pride. A few months ago when I got a new iPhone 5 I was showing him and mentioned that I thought he was overdue to update to a newer phone. His response was "Why? It still works fine, does everything I need it for and I still have 5 GB of memory left. I'll upgrade when/if it ever breaks". He does use it for internet, email, texts, photo sharing, reading books, etc., so it's not like he is under utilizing it really.

13. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

These are actually all reasons he should upgrade. Lol

14. dextr3k macrumors 6502

Gave the 3G to my mom. She is still using it strong, and she is the envy of her friends because she has an iPhone. :D

15. dirtclod macrumors member

I still have mine and use it as my alarm and ipod. The only reason I stopped using it as a phone was that I was really sick of AT&T and the dropped calls. I stopped about 18 months ago and switched to Verizon and a Motorola.

I expect to switch back to an iPhone when I'm eligible, which ironically, is in 3 days.... :D

Actually, I will probably wait until the new phones are announced before I do anything. The Motorola Droid Razr is soldiering on and is not in desperate need of replacement.

I would not have switched away from the 3G if I hadn't had so many issues with AT&T. The other thing that really annoyed me were the software updates which killed performance. Performance was fine when it was new and suffered immensely with the software 'upgrades', most of which seem to be downgrades designed to kill performance, forcing users to buy new phones.

I should have waited for the 3GS when I bought mine.

I still use it for playing games and for the ipod function.

16. kunai macrumors regular

I AM!!!

I will never ever ever ever never let go of my 3G. Ever.

17. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I don't use it anymore but my 3G is sitting on a shelf right here. I've sold every one of my iPhones since that one, but I never could bring myself to sell my first. That's my baby :D