Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MagicThief83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
NYC
So this is it! October is finally here, and we shall see if it delivers the supposed and elusive 2012 iMac. Anyone here still waiting? Or got tired and just picked a rMBP? If you picked up a rMBP, what made you decide getting a rMBP over waiting for the new iMac? Are there any regrets you feel you may have if the new iMacs are released soon? The wait is killing me and I really don't know if I can hold off much longer. We are supposedly nearing an iMac refresh, yet, all rumors have died down and there hasn't been anything new or any leaks. This is worrisome, and I am starting to give up hope on a new iMac release soon. Part of me feels like I should've just ordered the rMBP as my first mac from the beginning. What do you guys think? I am strongly considering a rMBP because it can handle my computing/gaming needs, but I'd prefer a "true" desktop, hence my absurd wait for the new iMac, which appears may never see the light of day.

boto

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2012
I've waited long enough for the iMac 2012 and if a GTX 680m or desktop graphics card is not configured in the highest end model than I'm going to be utterly disappointed. Why does it take about 4-7 months since the release of the new Ivy bridge chips and Nvidia GTX 680m to release a spec bump? I hope everything will be satisfying and worthwhile in the coming days.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
Might as well wait a little longer if you have stuck it out for this long.

ilikepear

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2012
I would say be patient and wait a while longer. If you are looking for a desktop replacement, iMac is still the way to go, even the 2011 version is worth it.

Things to know about rMBP.

1. It heats up alot if you are doing intense processing.. that includes gaming.
2. Its loud compared to iMac under load.. even if they say the fan is supposedly silent.
3. Non upgradable ram hdd.
4. $$ .. if you ever wish to work on a bigger screen .. u would need to spend extra to get keyboard/mouse/ATD .. etc etc

Mr MM

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2011
I've waited long enough for the iMac 2012 and if a GTX 680m or desktop graphics card is not configured in the highest end model than I'm going to be utterly disappointed. Why does it take about 4-7 months since the release of the new Ivy bridge chips and Nvidia GTX 680m to release a spec bump? I hope everything will be satisfying and worthwhile in the coming days.

Im not giving any excuse here, fair warning!

Did you know that only at the end of last month that nvidia started supporting their kepler mobile cards? yes that was the first official driver that they released since the launch of the cards

there is something mighty slow going on this year

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
Thank you! I am waiting for the new refreshed 27" iMac too.

I would say be patient and wait a while longer. If you are looking for a desktop replacement, iMac is still the way to go, even the 2011 version is worth it.

2. Its loud compared to iMac under load.. even if they say the fan is supposedly silent.
4. $$ .. if you ever wish to work on a bigger screen .. u would need to spend extra to get keyboard/mouse/ATD .. etc etc

Thank you! I am waiting for the new refreshed 27" iMac for sure, my new (French) MacBook Pro from Best Buy, late 2011 (anti-glare) / 2.5Ghz i7 / 16GB w/OWC Mercury Electra MAX 3G 960 GB 2.5-inch SSD. I used it's 750GB 7200rpm for time capsule. BLAZZZZINGGGG FAST / efficient / silent mofo! So easy on the eyes and touch. I am in love all over again. I will give :apple: direct business once they release a refreshed 17" MacBook Pro, until then I with no spend a dime on their site. I returned my 17" refurb and maxed out retina macbook.

Couldn't be happier!

MagicThief83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
NYC

For my uses, I believe the rMBP will be just fine. If I paid close to 3 grand for a machine, you best believe I will be putting it under very heavy usage. With that said, I think the rMBP is a worthy desktop replacement as it carries enough ommphhh to jostle its way ahead of the current iMacs, which I'm starting to believe will not be refreshed soon. Fan noise and heat won't bother me because that's what comes along with using a computer...any computer. I have a 4TB external thunderbolt drive, so HDD capacity isn't a concern. Also, a rMBP configured with 16GB of RAM is plenty and more than enough for my usage...hell, even 8GB will do. The scaling of resolutions help to compensate for the smaller screen size, so in essence, you still get plenty of screen real estate for work. I already own a gaming keyboard and mouse, so all I would need is an external monitor...if I really wanted to use one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.