Anyone struggling to make room for use of their iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by adamtj11, Jul 12, 2011.

1. adamtj11 macrumors 6502

I got an iPad a couple of months ago, but i really find it hard to fit into everyday use. I use my Mac Mini at my desk, Macbook Pro doing work away from my desk and iPhone 4 on the go, I really love my iPad just I always find myself limited to when I will get away without a full computer, any one else find this?

2. taipan61 macrumors 6502

find lots of uses for it that i would otherwise be locked to the desk for, still use the MBP for heavy editing and writing and such but use the iPad for all the usual mundane daily tasks on the go (have a hard time reading on my phone screen...)

3. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

No not at all, for basic stuff its liberated me from having to use a full computer. The form factor, the fact its always on, battery life and multitude of useful apps have helped it become more a "life-aid" than a traditional computer for me

for example, i can use it as an electronic recipe book while cooking and have a podcast playing etc. I just find it more "convienient" than using a laptop for some things.

4. poloponies macrumors 68030

The iPad is not for everyone. It's not intended to replace your home computer when you're at home or a notebook for when you need to work. It's a convenience device. I would never consider using any of my notebooks in a car or on my train commute and that's where the iPad wins hands down. It's also handy in meetings where it's less bulky than my notebook. And it's a fantastic device for use on vacations. But it's definitely not a convenience for every user.

5. Kirjava444 macrumors member

No problems at all. When I first bought it, I wasn't sure if I would use it, but as it turns out I use it all the time - mostly at home, where it's replaced my computers for a lot of my browsing since it's so nice and easy to carry it everywhere.

6. adamtj11 thread starter macrumors 6502

Guess I'll have to give it another go, as I say I love using it just squeezing time in to use it is the trouble! I did bring it recently to Italy and it was great for keeping up to date with news at home etc (Ireland) !

7. MassacrMan macrumors member

I recently got back from vacation, but since I cannot bring my entire desktop with me. My iPad was the obvious choice, during the evenings when we would chill out before dinner I would surf the web and read the news. In fact, we had one groggy rainy day where going to the beach was a no go. So, I bought a couple books on iBooks store and read away to pass the time.

8. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

Nope, I use iPad for surfing Internet, Watching Films/TV Shows etc then the MBP only gets used for University Work and the odd time when I need to transfer some stuff onto the iPad.

9. darngooddesign macrumors G3

10. MassacrMan macrumors member

I'm with this guy.

You already own so many devices that an iPad is just not worth it for you. Sell your iPad and hold on to the money for later, maybe you will want / find a need for it later and grab the new iPad HD that might be coming.

11. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

Inclined to agree here, i love mine to bits but if you are struggling to find use for it its a little pointless. You could sell it and put the money towards getting more life out of your current MBP or towards an iPhone 5? As you obviously use your phone and laptop alot

12. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

I get good use of it when I'm off work, just perfect checking out the Internet downstairs just relaxing without having to go up stairs

13. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

Nope, not here. Then again I'm a college sudent so I'll be carrying my just-purchased iPad 2 with me everywhere. The past couple years I've been a MacBook and notebook guy. The iPad is a wonderful replacement. I'm actually kinda wanting to sell my MacBook because I have my new custom Sandy Bridge build (soon-to-be Hackintosh), iPhone 4, and now iPad 2. I just don't see where my MacBook fits in now.

14. adamtj11 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm a student aswell i study Computer Science I'm going into my last couple of years so its pretty intense right now, i've been doing a lot of developing for iOS and OS X, The iPad is great for carrying but i need to be working on Xcode on the go most days in college, i sat and used it for the last couple of hours, defo gonna try and fit in in one more time and if not i can give it to my sister or my Nan.

One thing it is definitely brilliant at is for my books i downloaded in pdf in iBooks!

Thanks for the reply's!! :D

15. darngooddesign, Jul 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2011

darngooddesign macrumors G3

There is your reason.

However, you could sell it and get an iPad 1.

16. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Unless I need processing power at a clients office/home (which I rarely do anymore), the iPad is what I take for local client visits...I used to take my 11" MacBook Air but for most of my needs my iPad2 works just fine for accessing files or troubleshooting/researching support documents...