Anyone successfully get AT&T MicroCell subsidized?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Radiating, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Radiating macrumors 65816

I'm having some issues with my place where the AT&T signal has been reduced to nothing and service frequently dropping out as trees have grown between my place and the cell tower.

I was looking into getting an AT&T microcell and was wondering if anyone got a credit for buying the Microcell.

The Microcell is only sold in AT&T stores in my area, and costs $99. The store obviously won't give you one for free, but I figured AT&T wouldn't mind crediting $100 to the account.

Anyone care to help?

2. floridasteal macrumors newbie

3. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

They offered me one for $50 today. But they also told me they were about to power on a new tower near my house because of all the complains, so I figured it wasn't worth it.

4. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Tell them you are paying dearly for their service, and it's not right that you can't use it. Don't let them charge you. I got one for free, they can give you one too. With a microcell, you use your Internet connection for the calls instead. So you're still not technically using your cellular service, but they will still charge you like you are.

There's no reason you should be expected to pay for the microcell.

5. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I got one for free a year or so ago. AT&T sent out vouchers I would guess to most customers with iPhones that had plans running out right before Verizon got the iPhones. It was clever marketing on AT&T's part. Keep me with them.

My daughter tried to finagle one out of them when she was considering switching to AT&T. The best they would do for her was to offer a refurbished one for $50.

6. DVDxR macrumors regular

Use the AT&T Mark the Spot app to note when you have no signal or drop a call. I did this at my house and they eventually sent me a voucher. Of course it took about a year for that to happen...

7. stephen1108 macrumors 65816

I reported my bad signal problems to AT&T in the past. They would always tell me my area was one with good reception, but apparently they have new technology now that allows them to have a better idea of the areas with bad reception. NOW they're seeing I have an area with bad signal, and I was told my only option is to get a Microcell. The rep I spoke to credited my account $60, and I told her I would be getting refurbished $75 Microcell. When transferred to sales, they didn't have any refurbs so I got a new one for $75, but really only paid like $15 for it.

I think I got a pretty good deal :) Just set it up, and I had a couple hitches at first with phone calls not going through, but after restarting my phone it cleared up everything! on an iPhone 5 here btw.

8. dborja macrumors 6502a

I did this for about four months then I got my voucher

9. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

I got one free maybe a year ago or so after months of absolutely horrific service (ca 75% of all calls dropped, all of which was documented religiously on the Mark the Spot app. Never got a voucher, though). The first time I went in, the guy said, "Sure, we can give you one...for $99." I asked him why I should be forced to pay $99 more for service that they're already supposed to be providing for me and his only response was a smirk; this was apparently a week or so after they quit distributing them free to people who really needed them, so it's not like my request was completely off the wall. My parents had just gotten one a month or so earlier. Went back a few days later to plead my case again and dealt with someone different who was wonderful; his manager had me set up and out the door in 5 minutes. I have no idea what their policy is now, but good luck!

10. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

Anyone know if you can use it at a location that is not your primary address on the account?

For example, my Mother-in-law is on my account, but she has HORRIBLE reception at her house. I would like to get a Microcell to help alleviate this issue for her.

11. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I'm still angry about this. 0-1 bars at my house so I spent $150 on mine. Then I come to find out they were handing them out free. :mad:

I probably should have called and complained but I didn't hear about the free ones until 6-9 months later and figured it was too late.

Oh well.. I couldn't survive with out this thing. Work from home so having zero cell reception was not an option and Verizon has the same 0-1 bars.

12. gallianp, Oct 4, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2012

gallianp macrumors newbie

Is there a monthly charge for it use --?:apple:

AT&T 3G MicroCell™ Service Agreement/Terms and Conditions

This device is sold for use on AT&T systems and is not compatible with other wireless systems. Broadband Internet access service of at least 1.5 Mbps downstream/256 kbps upstream required. To take advantage of all the benefits and service features, you may need to purchase additional hardware or software, pay monthly access and/or per-use charges. Usage generated by 3G MicroCell counts toward your wireless data usage plan limit and may be subject to applicable charges from your ISP. Normal charges apply for mobility data plans and features when using the AT&T 3G MicroCell.

13. Jnardis macrumors 6502a

No monthly charge and mine was free when it first came out.

14. aviddk macrumors regular

Neighbor across the street got a free one due to known reception problems. I went in two months later and asked for a free one. They told us the "free" program was over. I countered with, "the bad reception isn't however." I was told that the signal map showed that my side of the street had acceptable signal. I had them look at my file to review an incident were the local PD was sent to my house because our iPhones weren't ringing. That amongst several other reception complaints that we had filed. After an hour of wrangling and being kicked up to ever higher level customer support people; they finally offered me one at half price. We love how it unfailingly makes outgoing calls although sometimes incoming calls still don't ring.

15. robrob74 macrumors member

I got one for free about 1 1/2 years ago. I lived in an area that constantly got only 1 bar at my house, yet at my job 10 miles away was 5 bars. Well, I walked into an AT&T store one day to have them give me a new SIM card, and the rep asked me how my signal was at home, I told her pretty bad, and she said she could give me a micro cell for free. Got it setup and love it, we can finally make and receive calls all the time... Ya know, like how it's supposed to be! Been with AT&T for over 10 years and I guess I'm lucky because I've always gotten outstanding customer service and most places I've travelled to have had pretty good signal.

16. pure3d2 macrumors 6502

File a complaint with the FCC. If you're paying for service you can't use, that's the provider's fault, not yours.

17. bennettave macrumors member

This isn't necessary. I was shipped a free micro-cell 6 months ago after following directions that I read off the internet. This included using the mark the spot app, calling customer service, troubleshooting and calling some sort of corporate office number where I requested a call back, and got one. Just do a search on Google to find the directions.

18. auero macrumors 65816

Fight them. I didn't get it free but he credited my account $150-200. I can't recall exactly because it was a while ago but it was well worth the money because of the area I was in.

Argue and threaten to leave to get service elsewhere if they aren't willing to work with you.

My problem was unique because I didn't get service to begin with but they started to build a tower down the street from me and were turning it on and off. I was losing service totally even though I had full service. They credited me a month of service and gave me credit as well to buy the micro cell.

19. wenglish macrumors member

I know for sure I have really bad service at my house, despite the coverage map saying I have excellent coverage. I know this because my work phone is AT&T, and even if I stand right next to the windows on the side of the house facing a major suburban freeway about 1/2 a mile away, it often takes 5 tries to get a call to go through.

Despite the above, I am considering switching to AT&T, but I plan on making provision of a MicroCell for $0 an absolute requirement at the time of purchase. I don't know if they'll go for it or not, we'll see.

20. RipeRetina macrumors regular

RipeRetina

Mine was free too. You want mine?

21. TheNorthWaves macrumors 6502

I had the same problem, we temporarily live with zero signal here. I had to spend over an hour on the phone talking calmly to three different people, but I basically convinced them to give me a free one and they did just that. It probably helps that our iphones are both past their contract (ie: month to month now) and I mentioned we were planning on upgrading to the iphone 5 soon :D

22. gobucks08 macrumors newbie

Yes, you can use it at another location. I have horrible service in my house and am not the primary address. I am authorized on the account so I went into an AT&T store and asked for one. They asked for the address it was going to be used at and set it up.

23. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

I got mine for free about 9 months ago. I live in an area that shows on the map to have excellent reception but only got one to no bars.

The difference is like night and day as everyone in the house now has full bars when the walk in the door.

24. Jab00 macrumors regular

Can you link to these directions or at least what you searched?

25. iPhone Addict macrumors 6502

I got mine for free 2 weeks ago. Called and complained that the signal in my area was bad and that I would switch to Verizon instead of staying with AT&T. They credited me $200 for the unit and it cost $200+tax at the store, so I had to pay the $15 or so in tax.

Works great.