Anyone switch from 11 inch air to 13 inch rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bmat, Oct 26, 2013.

1. bmat macrumors 6502

Anyone make the switch from an 11 inch air to a 13 inch rMBP. If between a 13 inch air and rMBP i would take the rMBP for my needs. But the 11 inch air has a different level or portability. When I look at them in stores it doesn't seem all that different, particularly since I usually carry and iPad and 11 inch air, and am going to shave weight off with a new iPad. But I wonder how one will feel after a few hours or carrying day to day.

Or does anyone have side by side pics?

2. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

If you wait till tomorrow, I can take a side by side picture. I've been using the 11" 2013 Air since September, and I've just got my 13" rMBP a few days ago. I carried my 11" to University everyday and you can feel the extra pound, but it's not heavy. I honestly love the 11", but I do find that I'm not as productive. (11" is fine for office work, but for video editing or graphics, I can't work on such a small screen).

3. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

I have a 2012 11" (for development) and love the portability. It's the only laptop I can comfortably use in a coach seat (I'm 6'1" 200+)

Here's my upgrade criteria for a retina mbp

:) - Retina screen (I'm perfectly happy with the 13" in it's higher res)
    :) - Slim (the new 13" next to the old one is noticeably thinner IMO)
    :) - >1 thunderbolt port for driving external monitors in the office
    :( - Long battery life (12 hours)

I value portability and battery life while away from my desktop - (planes/coffee shops) and really want both 12 hours in battery life and a retina screen. The new 13" comes close, but without knowing how the 9 hours really pertains to my usage, I feel I rather wait for something that lasts longer. As much as I like the improvements in the 13" retina - I'm going to stick with portability, a need to carry a power cord if I'm out for more than five hours, and only driving one external monitor.

4. ssmed, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2013

ssmed macrumors 6502

ssmed

I have both, 11 inch when I am keen to have work with me, but not going to do hours and hours of work and I can be quite selective about what I take with me. When I am at home this is used in bootcamp! The rest of the time I use the newer 13 inch rMBP as it has so many more ports for all the extra's I plug in. Someone did accuse me of needing my eyes tested in an earlier discussion of the differences as I do think the 11 inch is quite hard work for a long day.

Both fit into hotel safes, small bags and don't weight you down so either choice is equally valid in many circumstances. Interface design is VMB on the rMBP as you can use the scaling to get a good idea how things are going to look on other screens.

I currently use
    Monitor via HDMI
    Ethernet via TB
    FW via TB
    Hard disks via TB
    and the retina gives most flexibility for this.

HTH

5. drxcm macrumors regular

I'm moving from 11" (since 2010 model I've had two) to the 13" rmbp.

I am a little worried about the increased size, as I LOVE my 11", but there are times I really need a bigger screen.

Hope I'm happy!

6. Abbas macrumors member

Same boat as you guys- have the 11" Air (mid 2012) and LOVE the portability but don't like the battery life. I had the 15" rMBP before this one and adored the screen so thinking of switching to the new 13" rMPB but not sure how portability will be affected.

7. majkom macrumors 65816

if there is any switcher form air to new rMBPro 13 - please, do you feel any GUI lag? I do have 2013 air but seriously consider switching to rMBPro 13, but after playing for a while with rMBPro in the store, I am not sure, I felt that graphics is little laggy in comparison to mb air - especially expose/mission control... anyone?

8. radiohead14 macrumors 6502a

i went form an 11" Air to the 13" rMBP. you can definitely feel the weight difference when you carry it on the go constantly, but it's not much and you get used to it right away.

9. KPOM macrumors G5

I don't have any side-by-side pics, but I switched about a year ago. The 13" is noticeably bigger. It weighs about 50% more, and unlike the Air doesn't taper down. I've gotten used to it, but it definitely takes up more room in a bag, and it isn't quite as easy to carry as a second notebook in the inner pocket of a traditional notebook case like the 11".

That said, I really like the screen. Until there is an 11" rMBA, I'll stick with the rMBP.

10. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

I feel no GUI lag at all.