Anyone switching to Verizon before unlimited goes away?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jp700p, Jun 25, 2011.

1. jp700p macrumors regular

With about 2 weeks to go until D Day (7/7) I am still deciding whether or not to go to Verizon for the unlimited data. I missed the boat for the AT&T unlimited data and don't want to miss again. Sure theirs always a chance Sprint might carry the iPhone but who knows when that might happen or if they will even have unlimited data forever...

I read some stuff online whether to switch or not

http://www.beatweek.com/news/8670-v...-data-backdoor-with-vphone-4-risky-rewarding/

http://www.appleownz.com/2011/06/25/should-you-go-to-verizon-for-unlimited-data-before-its-too-late/

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30686_3-2...for-iphone-5-or-take-verizons-unlimited-data/

So anyone switching to Verizon to lock in the unlimited data plan?

2. dtjay7 macrumors regular

I did just yesterday. I even had the unlimited with AT&T but I didn't get good service from AT&T but I just kind accepted it and was lazy and stuck with AT&T. The change of unlimited from Verizon forced me to choose now. Of course, I haven't used more than 1 GB in a very long time.

3. jp700p thread starter macrumors regular

What town are you from and what speeds are you getting?

I heard Verizon 3G is a bit slower.

4. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I already have Verizon, but not an iPhone or a smartphone. I bought the Palm Pixi for 58 bucks and will be activating the unlimited data plan when it gets here on Monday.

5. SR71, Jun 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2011

SR71 macrumors 68000

I've been on Verizon my whole life and although AT&T's 3G is faster than Verizon's, Verizon's is by no means slow. To be honest, when browsing on an AT&T iPhone 4 and a Verizon iPhone 4, the difference between how long it takes to load a webpage will probably be 1-3 seconds slower on Verizon. That is a very negligible difference that most people won't even notice, hell I don't even notice it. Everything else is about the same. HOWEVER, Verizon also has much better 3G coverage than AT&T, so for one you'll have a more consistent and reliable 3G signal with Verizon, while with AT&T the 3G signal will be much less reliable, can slow down a lot depending where you are.

In the end, I think Verizon is the better deal even though it's slower because I never have to worry about losing 3G signal while on AT&T, you never know when you might lose 3G signal.

It's your call though, but hopefully what I said can help you decide, but I say go for Verizon.

(For the record, I've never gone anywhere where the wasn't 3G signal and I've taken long drives from Massachusetts all the way straight to Florida and haven't lost 3G signal, although it did drop to 1 bar of 3G, but nevertheless it never dropped, while my cousins on AT&T are always complaining that their iPhone's are always losing 3G signal.)

Hope this helps! :)

6. jp700p thread starter macrumors regular

Wow great feedback, thanks

7. xcrunner macrumors regular

I would switch, but I'd want the iPhone 5 so wouldn't want to use my upgrade. Guess I'm stuck with AT&T and my unlimited for now...

8. SR71 macrumors 68000

Yeah haha, I've got family on AT&T with their iPhones and family on Verizon with their iPhone's and since I'm the most techy person in my family everyone's always asking "why do I always lose service when you don't..." bla bla bla lol.

But yeah, in all seriousness, you'll be very happy with Verizon if you decide to switch now.

9. Samuriajackon macrumors 6502

Samuriajackon

I moved to Verizon on DROID phone after dumping ATT's crappy service. I just got an iPhone 4 with the unlimited plan...so hopefully I'll be grandfathered in.

10. SR71 macrumors 68000

You definitely will be grandfathered in.

11. FX4568 macrumors 6502

im going to lock unlimited with a palm pixi and going to use it until sept :D

12. jp700p thread starter macrumors regular

Very nice. I was thinking about getting the Thunderbolt instead until September and then sell it. Might as well use some 4G to see how it is.

13. truciet macrumors 6502

surprising a lot of people are lol.

a few of my friends got the samsung charge to get the unlimited plan now and sell when its time for the iphone 5.

14. FX4568 macrumors 6502

You know ETF for smartphones is 325 dollars right?
    Even if you are lucky and sell it, you will be wasting around 200 bucks. You rather get the palm pixi lol

15. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

I have to agree. I'm a customer of both AT&T and Verizon, and I do have better data coverage with Verizon... especially when I travel. Verizon's 3G is definitely slower in my area, but it's good enough for me email and browsing. However, when it's really slow, streaming really sucks for me. I don't have that issue with AT&T's 3G data. In SoCal we have 4G LTE anyway, so when my mifi connects to Verizon 3G, it doesn't bother me to much. The reason why I won't totally commit to Verizon is because their phone coverage really sucks where I live, and my batteries drains fast because of the poor phone signal. I am a happy with Verizon, so it's not a bad choice. I do recommend going with the carrier that gives you the best service in your location... and not just the perks they offer.

16. DLyman macrumors member

You only have to pay the ETF if you cancel the line, not because you change to a different phone on that line.

17. pyro008 macrumors 6502

True, but he will still lose a couple hundred on the sale/ purchasing outright. I don't see how people can justify losing that much for just 3 months.

18. livspop macrumors regular

A lot of people spend that in a weekend on food and drinks...

19. dialed1 macrumors 6502

dialed1

I have AT&T w/iPhone 4 unlimited and am thinking of getting Verizon unlimited incase AT&T screws people out of it anyone have Amy ideas on AT&T's unlimited?

20. ap3604, Jun 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2011

ap3604 macrumors 68000

I currently have unlimited with Att so nope, don't plan on switching...

Edit: actually I keep looking at Verizon vs Att 3g coverage map and might actually switch after all...

21. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I'm doing something similar. Just ordered a Pixi Plus from newegg for $39.99 and I'm going to go month to month with it on verizon w/unlimited data. Then I'm going to suspend the service without billing for the rest of this year and for the first 6 months of 2012 (verizon will apparently let you suspend service for up to 6 months each calendar year) - that will take me until June or July of 2012 when my contract with AT&T is up. At that point I'll just go with whichever company has the best combination of pricing and coverage that suits my needs (assuming of course that unlimited data will still be an option to me with both companies and that a 4G-capable iphone is out by then).

22. MacJones macrumors 6502

I switched from an unlimited plan on AT&T to an unlimited 4G LTE plan on Verizon. I really wanted to lock in an unlimited 4G plan before they went away for good so I sucked it up and switched from my iPhone 4 to my HTC Thunderbolt thinking I'd go back to the iPhone whenever a 4G model came out. After having this phone for a few days I've fallen in love with the 4.3" screen and everything Android has to offer. I really don't think I'll ever switch back to an iPhone, and this is coming from a huge Apple fanboy. I'm getting 4G speeds of about 21 Mbps which is amazingly fast, I can't even describe how fast web pages load.

The only things I miss from the iPhone are the Retina display (but the 4.3" screen almost makes up for it) and battery life. At first I was getting terrible battery life but I downloaded a 4G on/off app and now it does fine. Android does pretty much everything else better.

23. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I'm on AT&T have to say that's pretty remarkable.
    When traveling like that, I do drop to Edge every now and then.
    It's not really an issue for me since road trips are less likely than traveling in an airplane -and- since I can't say I'll need 3G throughout the whole trip ... but I'm still pretty impressed.

24. topherg macrumors regular

I just switched to a thunderbolt that I bought off of Craigslist for 300 brand new! Athough I miss my iPhone the thunderbolt is not that bad and the battery has lasted me on average 12+ hrs. 4g is awesome BTW

25. utwarreng macrumors 6502

utwarreng

I'm giving it strong thought. On the 700 minute family plan, we would save about $10-15/month over our AT&T plan. We would lose the unlimited calling to any mobile number, and that would hurt, but a lot of our friends have Verizon, so it wouldn't be as painful as initially thought.

We were thinking we'd go the Palm Pixi route more than likely for a few months, though I may pony up the extra bucks and grab a used Thunderbolt just to see what all of the fuss is about.

AT&T coverage is ok in our area, but not great. Verizon on the other hand has outstanding coverage all around us, making it a big attraction.

I would certainly miss the simultaneous voice & data, personally. I use it quite frequently.