Anyone That Already Gotten MBP 13 Thinking They should of went with 15 instead??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alekssss, Aug 24, 2009.

1. alekssss macrumors newbie

i really wonder, i cant decide between these two..15 for the movies, 13for the portability as i am a college student

so, anyone regretting getting mbp 13 cuz it's too small for movies etc or you satisfied? : )

2. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

Nope! I love my 13 uMBP, it's sleek, powerful, and portable, it's an all around great machine, I wouldn't trade it for a 15 even if they were the same price.

3. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

having owned both, i have learned to really appreciate the weight and portability of the 13 inch. i would not go back to the 15

4. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

I somewhat regret getting the 15"

Let me put it this way, if I did it again, I would have taken a closer look at the 13", but by all means am happy with my choice

5. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

My 13" is perfect for what i need it for which is mostly uni related stuff or internet/msn.

Occasionally i watch movies on it. I have a rule for watching movies regarding screen size: If its too small sit closer. Works every time :D

6. DivineEvil macrumors regular

I wanted to get the 15" with dedicated graphics... but due to financial issues I got the 13" base model and upgraded the HDD.

I don't regret it! It's light, portable, powerful for modern games (I play Assassin's Creed on decent settings), the resolution of the screen is the same as a 15" Acer laptop I have at home, so I have the same real estate as some other laptops. Don't forget it's also cheaper...

7. Swiss Apple macrumors member

Swiss Apple

Another satisfied 13" MBP owner, for me 13" is the sweetspot between usability and portability.

8. 2056 macrumors 6502

13" is big enough to view a movie when you're sitting right in front of it.
    it's not big enough to view a movie from across the room when you're tired and want to leave your computer on the desk. when i had a 13" mb there was no doubt i was going to be purchasing a monitor. if you have enough money to spring for a 15" mbp, maybe you could look into external monitors to go with a 13".

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm in the camp that I'm pretty happy with my 15" but if I did have it all to do over again, I probably would have gotten the 13"

I bought my MBP last October, so the 13" MB had an inferior screen to the 15" and lacked FW ports. The GPU was a concern as well, but after using the 9400 on my MBP and hardly switching over to the 9600, I can safely say that concern was unfounded.

Like I said, I'm not regretting it because at the time, it did make the most sense but since apple upgraded the display panel and re-added FW, 13" would be the choice next time

10. alekssss thread starter macrumors newbie

so, is it okay for movies too? : ) thanks for the answers so far, i appreciate it

11. kai920 macrumors member

No regrets at all getting the 13". I use mine for work hooked up to a 24" (1200 x 1920) :)

12. Z06jerry macrumors regular

x2:D

13. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Other way around. Offed a 15" uMBP for the 13". Except for the glass, an excellent machine.

14. Jezter macrumors newbie

I got the uMBP back in October 2008 thinking I needed the 9600 graphics for gaming with a Windows Bootcamp setup. I guess it is almost a year now, but I have yet to play a video game on the MBP. Maybe when a more attractive game comes up for me, I will say my investment was worth it.

I rather pay more upfront knowing that I may get more out of the notebook or its longevity will be longer, than to find out later I need it but can't upgrade. Of course the downside is upfront cost...

15. Cybbe macrumors 6502

I don't need the extra power of the 15" (to get a marked improvement, you need to go with the upgraded GPU), and financially, couldn't justify the extra cost (and afford it right now). When it comes to screen real estate, I'm happy with 13", but to be fair, I came from a small 12" iBook screen. The portability is nice, but without having used the 15" I'm not sure how much difference it makes (I figure a bit).

I've got plans to buy a larger 24" screen for use at home.

No regrets here, in other words. But if you need the added juice, don't care about the extra size and weight, need the larger screen and above all, can afford it, go with the 15".

16. Mustafa macrumors regular

Verbs

I don't think having a 15" screen instead of a 13" one will improve your exam results.

However, knowing that it is "should have" and not "should of" probably will.

17. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

x3

See my sig.

18. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

My advice, do not be swayed by peoples biased opinions who could not finance a 15 incher.

19. belvdr macrumors 603

Right, because you obviously know everyone's financial situation. I could have bought the 17" but bought a 13" refurb after I seen the 13" in person. It's a perfect fit for what it is used for.

20. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

If the 15" with the same specs as my 13" were the same price, I still would have bought the 13"

21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

ZOMG it worked! :eek:

I have an old white 13" MacBook, and am thinking of buying a 15" MBP. The 13" MB is the largest laptop I have ever had, so I'll tell you what I think when I buy the 15" MBP. :eek:

Actually, this thread has convinced me that I only need the 13" MBP, so now I'm not sure what I'll do. I guess I'd get the 15" MBP for the matte screen option.

22. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

But they're not the same, hence the premium price difference and larger screen estate. I therefore stand by what I said, no one should be swayed from the better laptop due to others financial restrictions.

23. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

24. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I like my 15 incher and plan to get the 17 inch with my next upgrade. The 13 inch is way too small for me--its harder to multi-task on such a small screen. However, I take my laptop outside my home about 3 times a year--so portability isn't a first concern for me. If it were, then I'd reconsider.

25. AnotherFanBoy macrumors regular

Ive had my 2.53 13" since Friday night. It was my first Mac and Im so pleased with it, its everything I expected and more..

I did plan to get the 15" but i decided that this was the best choice for me due to the portability.