Anyone think the 4S should have been 21Mbps for AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MattMJB0188, Apr 18, 2012.

1. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

I don't know why but this has been on my mind a lot. I can't complain about AT&T's data speeds. I'm pulling nearly 8Mbps down but when every new Android has radios with theoretical speeds of 21mbps, so it made me wonder why Apple didn't do this for the 4S? The one thing to come to mind is that they didn't want the phone to be flying fast on GSM networks and on CDMA be super slow?

I'm hoping the next iPhone sports either a 21Mbps HSPA+ radio or 42mbp radio like T-Mobile's HTC Amaze/GSII.

2. aneftp macrumors 601

I'd worry more about ping times than overall speed.

Real time tmobile speeds in most areas and I live in Orlando gives u around 8-10mpbs on my friends tmobile Galaxy S2.

Fastest speed I've gotten on my AT&T iPhone 4S is around 6.5mpbs.

But the iPhone 4s supports up to 14.4. It is what it is. Mainly do the the Qualcomm CDMA/HSPA plus chip available at time of production.

Wait til u get LTE. My lumia 900 LTE speeds ping times are as low as 60 and LTE speeds greater than 20mpbs consistently.

3. MattMJB0188 thread starter macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Yeah my ping speeds are usually 70-90 out here with AT&T and I'd say I average at least 4Mbps. I ran a speedtest comparison with my friend who has the Samsung Skyrocket and he got 7Mbps when my 4s got 3 down on the same tower. He had LTE turned off on his SR.

T-Mobile definitely has the best GSM network where they have coverage of course. Guess AT&T is slower because everyone and their mother has an iPhone on it.

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Even if it was, it's not like you'd ever see those speeds.
    IMO, you won't really notice anything after a few Mbps. Even Verizon is comparable with a much slower connection.

So no, I don't really care enough.

5. dasmb macrumors 6502

6. MattMJB0188 thread starter macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Of course not, but the advantage to the higher radio would be higher speeds. Just seems to be the minimum radio in the GSM handsets nowadays. Like I said, hopefully the next iPhone will have this or a 42mb radio plus LTE.