Anyone think this will damage the iPhone 5 or dock adapter?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zorinlynx, Oct 23, 2012.

1. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Picture attached. You can wobble it gently front and back without breaking the connection. But I worry about torsion on the connector and socket.

Opinions?

Attached Files:

2. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

Personally, I would be concern by an inadvertent bump to the phone and potentially damaging the connection within the phone.

3. GrandPhrase macrumors 6502

Not sure if it would cause damage, but I personally wouldn't do that.

Would feel uneasy about the instability and the existing probability of some sort of break or damage. Could potentially break the Lightning connector over a long period of time and harm the internal port.

For now, try to pile up some small blocks of some sort behind that iPhone to prop it up so there's no force going backwards, only downwards.

Also, like the previous post said, I would be afraid of an inadvertent bump possibly from trying to grab the phone off the dock.

4. zorinlynx thread starter macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I tried to find something I can put back there to support the phone, but nothing seems to work well. At this point I'm thinking of talking to the folks at work who have a MakerBot to see if I can model and print something that has just the right angle to support the phone well.

Aside from fear of bumping it, nothing suggests the connector isn't strong enough... but you never know. Connectors can be fairly tough, but stress over a long period of time is another thing.

5. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

6. trozau macrumors regular

trozau

I recommend returning the 30 pin to lightning adapter and exchanging it for a 30 pin to lightning cable adapter. Note though that the cable is only .2 meters long and is kinda stiff (you may need something to lay your phone on close to the docking clock).

7. zorinlynx thread starter macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I actually own both adapters. I used the cable one but this one "looks nicer" and is closer to what the original intended use of the iHome dock was.

I'm using the cable one in the car, where it's necessary because the car mount I have blocks the wider adapter.

Getting more annoyed at the switch to Lightning every day. We shouldn't have to deal with this crap!