iPhone Anyone thinking of popping their iPhone cherry with the 6/6 Plus?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by MindsEye, Sep 14, 2014.

1. MindsEye macrumors regular

So is there anyone here who's never owned an iPhone now thinking of picking one up for the very first time?

I've been an android user for three years now starting with the Galaxy Nexus and now with the Xperia Z1 and other than OS restrictions & price, the biggest reason i've never been interested in the iPhone was the screen size. Now that Apple has rectified this in a massive way, i've never been more tempted to pick one up.

Was planning on waiting to see what the Xperia Z4 brings but will likely weigh up the purchase against the Nexus 6.

2. p3ntyne macrumors 6502

p3ntyne

No!

Why spend twice as much for a phone with specs the Nexus 4?

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

iPhone cherry? What are we back in high school?:rolleyes:

4. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

The title needs work man. We aren't kids here(well technically, I'm counted as one)

----------

The 6 is nowjre near the same as the Nexus 4.

5. p3ntyne macrumors 6502

p3ntyne

Actually you're right. It has pretty much the exact same technologies and features.

The only real differences are the RAM, wireless charging, much lower price and a release date approximately 2 years earlier.

6. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

No. The CPU and GPU are better. The camera destroys the Nexus 4 and so does the battery life.

Also the iPhone 6 looks better and uses iOS.

7. Fireblade macrumors 65816

Fireblade

I smell ironic...

8. p3ntyne macrumors 6502

p3ntyne

Ok, the CPU, GPU and camera probably are a little better although, how would you know? Anyway, they are likely to still not surpass a newer Android phone. Also, how would battery life be better with what is rumoured to be a 1810mAh in the iP6?

Looks and OS are opinion-based, although I think the iP6 looks quite ugly with those rounded edges and huge bezels and iOS, for me at least, is terrible.

9. thering1975 macrumors regular

thering1975

funny thing is i think the new iphone design is the best yet, but when you can let me slap android on it i will buy one

10. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

You said they are the same. We aren't comparing them to current Android phones.

Also why do you assume it will be only a little better despite the fact that the A7 was pretty much te same as the S800? The A8 will destroy the S4 Pro. No doubt about it.

11. ItHurtsWhenIP, Sep 15, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2014

ItHurtsWhenIP macrumors 6502

Yep, I am.

I've been on Android since the original Moto Droid, but I'll be giving the i6+ a test run when my upgrade comes through in November. If I like it, I'll keep it...if not, I'll return it and pick up the new Moto X.

12. p3ntyne macrumors 6502

p3ntyne

Since when does "pretty much the same" = "the same"?

The Nexus 4 may only beat the iP6 with most and not all of it's feature but there's no doubt the newer generation of Android phones can smash the iP6.

13. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Again. The A7 beat or was the equivalent to the S800. At the time it was comparable to other phones. Why can't you wait till benchmarks of the A8 before using hyperbole?

14. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

Indeed the last three characters in your post is the important dealer breaker for many of us. Its the exact same reason I don't walk into car dealerships and suggest I get a stupid discount because my current cheaper car also drives with a steering wheel. :D

----------

It will depend if the software is power hungry as a bigger battery doesn't always mean better battery life.

15. p3ntyne macrumors 6502

p3ntyne

Yes that's true, although in the past, the simplicity and lack of features in iOS has not been enough for the iPhone to remain charged for longer than its competitors.

As I said, we'll see this Friday.

16. Qwestionable macrumors newbie

When Apple can match 2014 specs, technology, and components, and when they open up iOS, I will be a customer. But the iPhone is way too slow, the display is among the worst in its class, and iOS is not usable.

17. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68030

ugahairydawgs

Well.....at least your name fits.

18. beosound3200 macrumors 6502a

slow? iphone is everything but slow

theres a common misconception here about cpus in our mobile devices...

iphones 5s is twice as fast as the fastest android phone. ask me how do i know that

19. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Damn..beat me to it. Thank goodness I read one more post before clicking the reply button. ;)

20. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

21. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

You aren't exactly the most fair person regarding this matter either.

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

What a big steaming pile of bullcrap.:rolleyes:

23. burgman macrumors 68000

burgman

Some never leave :cool:

24. pickaxe macrumors 6502a

I'll give you the first one and the last one, but the 6's display IS the worst in its price range.

25. ItHurtsWhenIP macrumors 6502

After printing out a template of the 6 Plus, I'm out. It's not that it's too big to use comfortably, but I just don't want to carry around a phone that's that big every day for 2 years. So, no i6+ or Note 4 for me...

I'm going with the 2014 Moto X.