Anyone tried/owns a Swimman waterproofed iPod? Please share your experiences.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mgpg89, Jan 7, 2009.

1. mgpg89 macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

Does anyone have one of these?
    link

I'm really interested in purchasing one of these. Has anyone used one of these before? Are you satisfied with it?

And as for the waterproof headphones ... I was thinking about these ones instead of Swimman's own headphones:

h2o Surge headphones
    link

2. aquadude macrumors newbie

Swimman iPod Satisfied Customer

I've used the Swimman waterproofed iPod Shuffle and their waterproof headset for about 2 years now and have been very satisfied with it. I've also tried various cases and the H2O Surge headset and found them not to perform very well. Cases tend to interfere with swimming and the Surge phones don't stay in my ears. For additional comments by others you might want to see the US Masters Swim Forum http://www.usms.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11217&page=3

I've copied the last two comments on that forum for you below: basically the consensus seems to be that the Swimman is the best waterproof digital audio player and headset available.

SuperFlyGal

I got a Swimman for Christmas....yay? At first it kept on turning off and I would have to use the "2-thumbs technique" to get it restarted. It's really hard to push when it is new. I didn't get the headset that Swimman sells. Instead I opted for the H2O Audio Surge headphones. What a bad decision that was! I couldn't get them wedged into my ear no matter what size earbud I tried. I have a feeling that the headphones were the trouble with the Ipod shutting down; something about pressure changes causing the iPod to turn off. Forget about flipturns with these headphones, that's when my ears would fill with water and the music would mute. When I swam fly, I always lost at least one of them. I kept pulling my cap down over my ears, but it would eventually creep over my ears. My coach seemed annoyed and I was ashamed. I just ordered the Swimman headphones and I hope to have something better to say about them.

In the past I borrowed a teammates Finnis SwiMP3, but was hoping to have better sound from the Swimman, so I have my fingers crossed that this is going to work with the proper headphones. I found the Finnis to lack base, and at times it seemed overpowered by the sound of the water.

**Update: I got my Swimman headphones and they work great! The music sounds just like I am listening to it on land. They are a bit tricky to get the seal just right, but as some people have recommended if you lightly coat them with Neosporin before inserting they are easier to get in place and will maintain a good seal. The Neo also helps prevent ear infections if you ever have that problem. The only time I have trouble is during speed sets, but the rest of the time no troubles at all! Love them.

triathlete23

Re: Experience with MP3 Players
    I've had experience with a number of the brands that have been mentioned in this forum. Concerning Rick's question as to whether the Swimman earphones will stay in the ears with flipturns and the various IM strokes, I've had no problems with it. For casual swims, I clip the Swimman waterproof iPod Shuffle onto my suit and run the cord up the center of my back. The headset clips onto your swim goggles so there is no tug on the earbuds no matter how hard you swim. When doing sprints and aggressive flipturns, I clip the Shuffle onto the back of the goggle strap and wind the cord around the strap so that there is no loose cord. In this setup, there is no way for the cord to ever get in the way no matter how aggressive your laps might be. I have encountered various problems with other units mentioned in this forum however. I find that the finis bone conduction units produce a wavering sound as they come in and out of the water. Further, other people in the pool can hear my music as the bone conduction transducers send signals through the water as well as through bone! On occasion, others in the pool would get annoyed with the sound (and possibly my choice of music). As for the H2O models, I have never had any luck with their earbuds staying in my ears. Further, the barbs on their earbuds are rather stiff making them painful to use on a regular basis (I even got swimmers ear from those hard earbuds). Same goes for the FreeStyle earbuds -- real ear canal wreckers. To top it off, my Natalie Coughlin H2O model developed condensation (or leakage?) inside and killed my shuffle. I found that H2O doesn't cover such damage! Really annoying. While the Swimman does cost more, it appears that you get what you pay for in this instance. If you want to enjoy your workouts (and I find that it really helps) without having to deal with big floppy cases or clunky units and earbuds that hurt and keep coming out of your ears, then just get the Swimman and don't go through the learning curve and expense that I had to go through.

3. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89