Anyone tried the razr?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jredecop, Dec 9, 2011.

1. jredecop macrumors 6502a

This phone is really tempting me. Has anyone tried it here coming from a 4S? Talk me out of it!! I have really wanted a bigger screen and the razr has it and seems to have great reviews, but figured maybe someone here could help me out.

2. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

At the end of the day, it's what YOU want. If you like the phone more than the 4S then get it. I think it looks hideous compared to the 4S IMHO...

3. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

I was playing with one last week at our local store for about half an hour. The phone is nice until I noticed that hideous bump at the top where it houses the camera etc. I don't know why motorola had to make it ugly at the top simply to brag about the rest of the phone to be thin. IMO they should have just kept a uniform thickness and placed a bigger size battery inside to truly make it a beast in terms of battery life. Forget being thin and big and blah blah blah, just make the phone last longer and don't ruin the OS on it and make it optimized and it would sell better.

It is stupid things like these that usually turn me off from most of these phones. Unfortunately most OEMs use these and flashy specs as selling point for their phones which really makes one think what will happen if one day they decide they don't need the OS. It is like they barely even care about android running on the handsets at all.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I owned the DroidX for the very reason it had a bigger screen. All other things about android put aside. I found the larger screen size to be a tad ungainly in my hand when trying to use it on the subway. That is when I commuted I had difficulty using it in one hand.

It was a little large in my pants pocket but not enough to make it uncomfortable.

Now size aside, you need to consider how immeshed you are in the apple ecosystem. Apps/music/videos/etc You'll need to get apps that replace your existing ones and/or apps that do what apple does automatically.

I may at some point go back to android but I'll never buy a motorola phone again. Maybe this will change when Google absorbs them but I found that they were extremely slow in providing updates to the OS and when they did, they often had bugs which meant you had to wait even longer for a stable update.

Just my $.02 Personally I'd get a Nexus phone that google provides the updates directly. Again maybe this will change once google takes over moto but as of right now,I'd not touch motorola.

5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

^ This. Not sure why people don't seem to understand. Threads like this always fail to include what the OP is looking for.

OP -- what are you looking for in a device? Is a big screen the only requirement? Clarify and specify your needs/wants if you want meaningful feedback. Don't assume that your priorities are the same as everyone else's. If that was the case then we'd all use the same device and there would be little point to the various options out there. Again, it's all about finding what suits you best.

6. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Need a man purse to carry it in.

But it's got that kool knife filled commercial ..... which is nice.

7. macinnv macrumors regular

If you are coming from an iPhone, I wouldnt recommend it. IMHO, I would say only stick with Nexus's if you are curious about android.

8. GregE macrumors 6502

We have 4 people at work using them. They seem to like them a lot but 3 of them didn't have a choice since the 4th one was the president and picked them out. Fortunately for me, I'm a co-owner and got to choose.

I was torn between it with it's 4G and larger screen and the iPhone with the OS I like, already have some apps, and the ability to use my clock radio with the 30 pin connector. I ended up going for the iPhone and have had it since Monday and love it. When I looked at them at the store the screen size was a moot point since my 50 year old eyes needed my readers for both. :eek:

Good luck

9. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Here's an interesting outlook/discussion on that idea.

"How CDMA Is Killing the Galaxy Nexus Idea" By Sascha Seagan
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2397377,00.asp

10. jredecop thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just needed some input from someone that had been on both sides. Of course bigger screen is not the only requirement because there are 5" screens out there that I could go after then.

When watching reviews it seems to be pretty fluid between switching pages/apps. But is that really how it is with every day use?? So honestly, it really wasn't needs/wants I was going for, just is it a good solid phone with a good os?? The bigger screen did catch my thoughts though.

I have decided to stick with my iPhone!! Too much involved in the apple ecosystem to switch. I guess I may have been just a little bored as well and wanting to try something else. But I feel I'll regret it. Thanks for your help guys and hopefully this thread will help someone else.

11. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I think the only advantage it has over the iPhone is the bigger screen. I think it's dumb that they go on about how thin it is but then it has a big hump at the top. Only phone with Android I would give a try is the galaxy nexus.

12. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Aesthetically speaking, Motorola phones are seriously ugly.

13. Mr.C macrumors 601

All phones are ugly when compared to the iPhone.

14. NewYork88 macrumors member

NewYork88

Owned one

A few weeks ago I tried a HTC Rezound,didn't make it a day and between battery and signal I returned it. Last week I tried a Razr,made it 2 days.Much better signal than a the Rezound,better than the iPhone4 and on par with the iPhone4s.Battery life better than the HTC but not even close to a iPhone4 or 4S.The Screen didn't seem as bad as some have said,HTC is better.The Razr is a nice Phone,screen is huge,phone is tough.I've had many Androids in the last 2yrs (Eris,Droid2,Incredible,Fascinate and Droid X) I'm not a Fanboy,I loved My Droid X before My iPhone4 but as bad as I want a larger screen ........ I just can't go back to the hassle and aggravation of the Android system . I'd love a 4" iPhone with a little more customization but I'm not willing to go to a pocket monster 4.65'+ screen with a agitating OS. Quickness and Smoothness has improved but a long way to go for Me....

15. thenerdal, Dec 9, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2011

thenerdal macrumors 65816

Not all phones

[​IMG]

Watch these videos though OP:

16. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

17. NewYork88 macrumors member

NewYork88

I'd buy that Nokia in a Windows phone to try.......

18. jordbaer macrumors newbie

only iphone

i only buy iphone.

iphone always work and you will never be disapointet

19. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

I have a 4S (that I love), but I have to agree - that Nokia looks really cool . . .

20. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

Yup. Another +1 for the lumia 800!

However, we will have to wait a long while to get it in North America while Europe and rest of the world enjoys it months in advance. That is a shame.

21. bgtrack macrumors regular

bgtrack

Someone able to post the background from the rzr video...the one the rzr has...I want it for my iPhone background.

22. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

I know, and that seems really odd to me; can't help but wonder what the marketing strategy of this is.

23. alejovh1 macrumors regular

I own both, they are both great phones but different purposes. try it out and find out if is the phone for you. 4GLTE speeds are amazing but the iPhone is a very polished OS.
    I personally like them both equally

24. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

The Razr has it's issues. Data drops, black spots on the screen, random reboots, unresponsive screen. These will more than likely take 6 months if ever to be fixed by Moto. I will never by a Moto product again after having a Droid X and Droid 2 Global. The software is horrible. With Gingerbread each phone had at least 5 huge bugs that Moto will not even address, even though there are thousands of posts on their forum-all with the same issue. If you don't mind bugs and never having Moto fix them, go for it.

25. SR45, Dec 10, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2011

SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

I'd suggest you go and read up on the 85 pages + of complaints on just the Outgoing calls issues or the other long thread on iPhone static, than tell us the iPhone always work and that never disappoint comment. :mad:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/16967438#16967438