Anyone try AirDrop for transfering Canon photos from iPhone to iPad?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by LincolnsiPod, Sep 13, 2013.

1. LincolnsiPod macrumors 6502

For anyone beta testers playing with Airdrop, have you had a chance to see how straightforward it is to transfer photos from the iPhone to the iPad?

Here's how my workflow would look: I take pictures on my Canon camera, which is automatically uploaded via wifi to my iPhone. Because of the limitations of the Canon app I can't transfer to my iPhone AND my iPad, so I can only choose one or the other. In order to see the same photos on my iPad where I do more extensive photo editing I have to rely on Photostream, and the time delay can be annoying (especially when there's no wifi hotspot around for me to use). I'm currently using Dropbox to get around the limitations of Photostream, but I'm wondering if Airdrop might prove to be an even better solution. Has anyone had a chance to play around with it?

2. Curun macrumors 6502

Curun

Try an app called PhotoSync if AirDrop doesn't work out.

Works great for me.

3. LincolnsiPod thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh nice, it didn't even occur to me that there might be a better third party app than Dropbox for that purpose. Thanks for the heads up! :D

4. polygoo macrumors member

I just tried it from ipad and iPhone 5 vice versa, works great and is fast, but that's for the regular 8mp photos, not sure about huge ones

5. LincolnsiPod thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't use RAW, so my photos are about the same size as well. Might use RAW just for kicks to see if those transfers work just as well, but it's not essential for my needs.

6. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Doesn't photostream reduce the quality of the photo?

Also, iPhoto can "beam" between devices running iPhoto. Probably similar to what airdrop does but works on more devices.

7. LincolnsiPod thread starter macrumors 6502

Not sure, oddly enough to this day I've never really pulled a photo directly from photostream for usage. SHARED photostreams though has been much more useful for me.

I've tried the beaming within iPhoto, it works but it's a bit clunky to use. The advantage I potentially see with Airdrop over iPhoto and PhotoSync is that there's no need for a pre-existing wireless network, as it would create its own. That can be very useful when I'm out in the field.

8. LincolnsiPod thread starter macrumors 6502

I overlooked the bluetooth fallback option for both iPhoto/PhotoSync. I'm testing that out with good results.

The advantage PhotoSync has so far is the autotransfer feature that can be done in the background using preset locations. So far this ability to do automated transfers in the background using random location pings is something I've only seen with IFTTT and Dropbox.

9. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I think you'll be pleased with Airdrop. Transferring 100 photos happened in 30 seconds. You do have to start the process manually.

10. LincolnsiPod thread starter macrumors 6502

NICE. Manual transfers wont be be a big deal when the transfers are that fast. :D