Anyone try Bose AE2i?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KevinRightWing, Mar 25, 2012.

1. KevinRightWing macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted

I ordered a pair and was curious as to the general consensus on whether they were liked or disliked.

2. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

They're good, but I do have two gripes, and they are both about the cord. First, it's non-removable. Headphones of this price/caliber should come with a removable cord IMO. Your cord goes bad, gets chewed by your dog, or whatever mishaps may happen, you either have to pay for a spendy repair, or replace the whole set. Also, the cord is not braided. A big let down, since a non braided cord tends to get destroyed faster during cable management (wrapped around something tightly, etc.) The lack of braiding also contributes to the noise you hear as it rubs against your body and clothing during movement. Granted you likely will not be using these while running, but it is something that could certainly see improvement with a better cord. Most people tend to use these only on airplanes for some reason (I don't see many on public transport like the bus, for example). For airplane use they are fantastic. You likely won't have cordage issues if you are using them lightly. If you are a heavy user, I would invest in something with a removable cord, or at least a braided one (preferably both!)

3. KevinRightWing thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted

Thanks for the info. Mine come in on Wednesday and I am quite excited to see what they are like.

4. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

I have the Bose AE2i. They have a detachable cable. While they're not cheap, you can definitely replace the cable with the inline mic/remote via Bose or third seller via Amazon. With that being said, I've had the AE2is for the past year, and the idea that I might ruin the cable has not never occurred to me. While the cable fits sturdily into the earcup, a tough tug will detach the cable from the earcup. This is convenient for when it gets snagged on things.

When I stow away my headphones in a bag or luggage, I always detach the cable, put it in the pouch that comes with the headphones, then place the headphones into said pouch. I never tightly wrap the cable around anything. Ever. I just place the cable in the pouch without winding it or anything. The cable isn't super long and it hardly ever gets tangled. If it does, it's child's play to fix it.

As for sound coming from the cable rubbing against things, it happens. However, I usually use these headphones while sitting down at a computer or doing work at a desk, so to me it's a non-issue. While these headphones do a good job isolating sound, I wouldn't wear them while walking around because I like to hear what's around me (passerbys, cars, etc.).

The sound quality is decent. If you're liking for a hardcore audiophile experience, you've gotten the wrong set. However, sound is clear and crisp. Phone calls over the iPhone come in clear and people say I sound clear on the other end. The weird thing about wearing these headphones while making phone calls is that you can't really hear yourself talking. For me, it's kinda uncomfortable talking like that, but to each their own.

Honestly, I really, really, like these headphones. I have some Audio Technicas that I adore for when I'm listening to music or watching movies. However, if you're looking for decent sound, decent noise isolation, comfort, and portability, you've definitely chosen a good headset. The AE2is are light and fold up easy, so they're easy to throw into a bag or backpack when you're on the go. They're light and soft around the ears, and you'll easily forget they're there until someone taps you on the shoulder. The inline mic/remote that works on my iPhone and my MBP is a plus.

My only gripe is the overall durability of the headset. The band is fairly thin, so if you have a big head and are stretching it out to the max, I'd question how long it'd last. Aside from that, just take care of your headset (like all your electronics) and I think you'll really like the pair.

5. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I have the original Bose and am not impressed by it. So I don't anticipate trying Bose's latest version. Or maybe, you can convince me when you do a review. Thanks.

6. Padraig macrumors 6502a

Given that they're Buy Other Sound Equipment I can't imagine the consensus being great. Bose along with the likes of Monster, Beats are brands that I find are all about marketing and not about a quality product.

7. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

I'm currently looking at these so I look forward to your review :)

At the moment i have a pair of B&O but they don't have the mic. I'm amazed by the quality but people seem to have an issue with B&O like they do Bose so all i'm interested in are the good points and let the music snobs worry about the bad points. :D

8. WhoAmI2, Mar 26, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2012

WhoAmI2 macrumors member

So your post was to simply repeat his signature? Wow.

I have these and they do have a removeable cord. I like them enough but don't use them often as when on the go I use the freedoms by jaybird.

9. KevinRightWing thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted

I received them and am very happy with them. Build quality is great and they look great. Bass could be a little higher, but the eq fixes that easily.

10. SurferMan macrumors 65816

Their ok, problem is with Bose and Beats etc your paying mostly for the name, if they were half price they'd be great for the money. I listed to the AE2i and went with Klipsch S4i's which sounded better for much cheaper.

11. takeshi74 macrumors 601

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1...eid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=ae2i+site:macrumors.com

...and try the Accessories subforum.

Consensus doesn't matter on subjective topics like sound. What does matter is if you like them or not. Random opinions don't mean much. If you want opinions then you need to ensure that they come from people with preferences identical to your own on the topic at hand. Take a look at the responses in this thread as an example.