Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iamartimus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 13, 2010
I saw that they have the white version for the mini on a Facebook ad and it looks pretty nice. I went to browse at Best Buy today and saw both white and black versions for $99. Looked at the box and it shows :)and says that it has a shoulder strap included in the box. Looked like a pretty solid way to carry the mini, hands free. Did anyone get this and how do you like it? Thinking about getting it but want to hear some comments first, plus my wife bought me a very nice Tumi case.:D

studmule

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2010
I bought it over the weekend. Seems pretty solid. The fit is very tight. It's pretty difficult to get the thing back apart to take the mini out of it. Unfortunately, there was a very noticable gap between the screen cover and the screen. Don't know if it was just mine or if they all do that. I'm probably going to exchange it and see.

vmaniqui

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
California
I bought it over the weekend. Seems pretty solid. The fit is very tight. It's pretty difficult to get the thing back apart to take the mini out of it. Unfortunately, there was a very noticable gap between the screen cover and the screen. Don't know if it was just mine or if they all do that. I'm probably going to exchange it and see.

i think this case is the same for an iphone lifeproof. i bought one last week to try it and didn't like the plastic cover. it looks cheap (to think that i bought it for $79.99). it's hard to use with the cheap plastic. didn't like it at all and i returned it. there's so many reasons why it has not so good reviews on Amazon.

Haesslich

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012
i think this case is the same for an iphone lifeproof. i bought one last week to try it and didn't like the plastic cover. it looks cheap (to think that i bought it for $79.99). it's hard to use with the cheap plastic. didn't like it at all and i returned it. there's so many reasons why it has not so good reviews on Amazon.

I don't see any reviews for the Fre for iPad Mini on Amazon mi will note that iLounge had issues with the sleep/wake button. The gap does appear to be a normal feature though - I'm more worried about how bulky it is. The Nuud is bulky, but less so than the Otterbox Defender was, while being more splash proof.

Between that and no date for the Smart Cover type accessory shown in one photo non their official site, I'm kind of leery about it, unlike the Nuud.

studmule

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2010
I don't see any reviews for the Fre for iPad Mini on Amazon mi will note that iLounge had issues with the sleep/wake button. The gap does appear to be a normal feature though - I'm more worried about how bulky it is. The Nuud is bulky, but less so than the Otterbox Defender was, while being more splash proof.

Between that and no date for the Smart Cover type accessory shown in one photo non their official site, I'm kind of leery about it, unlike the Nuud.

I don't find it to be that bulky at all. If the screen cover sat flush on the screen, like on my iphone 5 lifeproof. then I would love this case. As for the sleep button, it's not super easy to push, but I certainly wouldn't call that a deal breaker either.

Haesslich

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012
I don't find it to be that bulky at all. If the screen cover sat flush on the screen, like on my iphone 5 lifeproof. then I would love this case. As for the sleep button, it's not super easy to push, but I certainly wouldn't call that a deal breaker either.

The screen membrane sounds like a deal-breaker for me. The iLounge review mentioned the "marshmallow" thing with the cover gap as well, and I've seen some bad ones. I might as well go Liquipel and take my chances with a less waterproof cover, if that's the case. I've gotten too used to bare screens with my iPad and iPod.

iamartimus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 13, 2010
Thanks for the replies gang. My mini will never be taken down to the ocean or anything like that, but I do want good protection and to have at least some sort of water resistance.

I have seen the Otterbox Defender in the box, but never seen one in person. Hows the screen protection on this one? Any pillow or rainbow effects? Hows the sensitivity of the screen protector?

Haesslich

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012
Thanks for the replies gang. My mini will never be taken down to the ocean or anything like that, but I do want good protection and to have at least some sort of water resistance.

I have seen the Otterbox Defender in the box, but never seen one in person. Hows the screen protection on this one? Any pillow or rainbow effects? Hows the sensitivity of the screen protector?

Sensitivity isn't an issue except around the edges. It pillows a bit, and it has a bit of rainbow. I immediately handed it back to the salesperson after trying it out. I only spent a few minutes with it, so take my words with that in mind.

Biff...

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2010
Sherman Oaks, CA.
I bought it to try out, but was not impressed, unlike the nuud it feels very cheap, yet comes very close in price. I'm going to return it and buy its cheaper cousin otterbox defender.

gully319

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2013
I purchased this case yesterday and am having a difficult time installing the case. I can't get the front and back to snap together. Has anyone else encountered this or can someone let me know what I might be doing wrong.

Update! Finally got it on. It was very difficult.

Last edited:

studmule

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2010
I purchased this case yesterday and am having a difficult time installing the case. I can't get the front and back to snap together. Has anyone else encountered this or can someone let me know what I might be doing wrong.

Update! Finally got it on. It was very difficult.

You aren't doing anything wrong. it's a very tight fight. Make sure you have the two pieces lined up right, and squeeze hard.

gully319

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2013
Thanks, Studmule, for the reinforcement. I appreciate it.

I am glad I persevered with the struggle because I like this case. The only issue I have with the case is that the screen protector does not fit close enough against the iPad screen, thus creating that pillowy effect that's been mentioned in the reviews I've read. However, even with this fault, the sensory touch to the iPad screen is not affected.

Now, I am working on how to attach the strap! :p

Last edited:

studmule

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2010
Thanks, Studmule, for the reinforcement. I appreciate it.

I am glad I persevered with the struggle because I like this case. The only issue I have with the case is that the screen protector does not fit close enough against the iPad screen, thus creating that pillowy effect that's been mentioned in the reviews I've read. However, even with this fault, the sensory touch to the iPad screen is not affected.

Now, I am working on how to attach the strap! :p

Ha. I never got to the strap. The pillow effect was a deal killer for me and I returned it. If the screen protector had laid flat against the screen like my iphone 5 lifeproof fre, I would have definitely kept it. But as for the strap, I bought the life jacket for my lifeproof, and used a paperclip and bent a real small hook on the end of it to fish the lanyard through the holes on the life jacket.

gully319

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2013
The pillow effect was a deal killer for me and I returned it. If the screen protector had laid flat against the screen like my iphone 5 lifeproof fre, I would have definitely kept it.

I just called Lifeproof customer support to ask if there was a way to fix that pillow effect on the screen protector. I was told to open the charge port and press down on the screen protector; thus pushing the air out of the case. OMG.... it worked! What a difference..... no more pillow effect!

(Can't believe I didn't think of that.)

iamartimus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 13, 2010
I just called Lifeproof customer support to ask if there was a way to fix that pillow effect on the screen protector. I was told to open the charge port and press down on the screen protector; thus pushing the air out of the case. OMG.... it worked! What a difference..... no more pillow effect!

(Can't believe I didn't think of that.)

That's some good info right there! :)

Haesslich

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012
Incidentally, is there any creakiness by where the volume buttons are? The nuud feels a bit weak there, and I'm wondering if the fre feels the same.

With the pillowing thing solved by just pushing the air out, it's starting to look better to me, especially if the Smart Cover accessory is out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.