Anyone try the Scythe Musashi with their 4870 card?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by brycerocky, Aug 1, 2010.

1. brycerocky macrumors newbie

I'm receiving a Radeon 4870 card for my Mac Pro 1,1 this week. I was wondering if anyone has tried the Scythe Musashi cooler with their card? It seems there are notches on the bottom of the card that may prevent it from fitting in the bottom slot. Since I am not using any of the other expansion slots, could I just move the card up? If this won't work, can someone suggest a better cooler? I want this card to be near silent. Thanks!

2. Spacedust macrumors 6502a

I was using it on HD4830 in my PC in the old days. Worked great ;)

3. cured.not.dried macrumors member

only the bottom slot on a 1,1 is a 16x lane. you'll want that to be where your graphics card goes. there's a utility someplace that'll tell you what slot is what speed, i've completely forgotten what it's called though, something like expansion slot utility.

you can control fan speeds in windows using rivatuner. it's easy to do too, just set a max temp of like 80, and the fans will adjust accordingly. google the instructions for it, they're on some forum someplace.

i don't think the same would be possible for os X, but then again, you can't overclock in os x, so it'll be running at its stock 600 Mhz clock, 850Mhz ram. those reduced clock speeds give off less heat, so i don't think a cooling device would be necessary.