Anyone trying to reserve the iphone42 on the Apple site for pick up tomorrow?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bunnyhop, Oct 18, 2011.

1. bunnyhop macrumors newbie

They said the reserving starts at 9pm but the site appears to be down :(

2. b24pgg macrumors 65816

I looked around 9:15 CST but the 16GB White was sold out at all my area stores. I'll try again tomorrow I guess

3. a.y.n macrumors regular

a.y.n

yup, I'm looking for a white 16gb gsm, nothing around here.

4. bunnyhop thread starter macrumors newbie

i kept refreshing and changing locations - and the availability of the phone keeps changing! sometimes they'll have the 64gb, then it'll disappear. then it'll appear again, along with a 32gb. so keep trying!

5. a.y.n macrumors regular

a.y.n

Ya, but those couple of pages don't work very well, it used to work better on the iOS app, but now the store is down and I can't even use the iOS app to reserve iPhones.

6. evilblob macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

The iPhone 42? You'll be lucky to get that in the next 40 years...

7. CandyCane23049 macrumors regular

Well Downtown North Michigan is all sold out, maybe thursday will be good. :(

8. b24pgg macrumors 65816

If you're willing to drive 20 miles, Orland Park appears to have a full stock

9. Colgin macrumors member

I started trying to log into the Apple site at about 8:55 pm EST yesterday. The site initially did not load but I was finlly able to get in around 2 minutes to 9 and reserved a black 64g Verizon IPhone 4s at the apple flagship store on Fifth Ave in NY. At the time they were showing stock of most models, but an hour later about half were listed as unavailable.

10. CandyCane23049 macrumors regular

Ohh... that's a definite yes. :)

11. Colgin macrumors member

Went to pick up my reserved phone at lunch time only to find the Fifth Ave. Store closed until 3 pm for the Steve Jobs memorial (RIP). Went back after work but the line for people with reservations was 1 1/2 to 2 hours long and I had to get home. :mad: Will have to try to reserve again tonight and then go super early tomorrow morning on the way to the office.

12. Gatz, Oct 20, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2011

Gatz macrumors newbie

You're all a bunch of saps.

Apple gets away with this kind of thing because nobody realises or questions why there's a scarcity of its products every time a new one is released. There is no reason why Apple couldn't have sorted its supply chain to have been able to sell an iPhone 4S to everyone who wanted one on 'launch day' or a few days thereafter. The reason it deliberately and constantly under-supplies its products (especially iPhones) is because it knows that an item's perceived scarcity increases its immediate value in the eyes of potential buyers. It's the same when doormen force clubbers to queue outside despite the abundance of space inside the nightclub - it's designed to impress the passerby with false evidence of the club's popularity. Apple didn't take over Exxon as the world's biggest company without a few morally questionable sales techniques.

This is even more crucial for Apple now, given its complete failure to manage expectations after the underwhelming news that the new release was a 4S rather than a redesigned iPhone 5.

Gatz