Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
After receiving mine and finally clean installing all my apps, I couldn't be any happier. "Breakthrough speeds" pretty much sums it up for me. Coming from a 2008 quad Mac Pro (which wasn't exactly a slouch), the speed difference is night and day. I was just wondering if there were any upgraders that weren't happy with their purchase. I'm also curious if the 2012 fully loaded owners feel justified with their upgrades and if performance difference was worth it to them.

sigmadog

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
just west of Idaho
Which configuration nMP did you buy? Just wondering cause when I finally get one I'll be coming from a 2008 dual quad, and I'd like to see some wicked speed improvements as well.

RoastingPig

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
SoCal
im moving from a 2010 12 core and im just really excited to get that behemoth off my desk and enjoy the quietness

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
Which configuration nMP did you buy? Just wondering cause when I finally get one I'll be coming from a 2008 dual quad, and I'd like to see some wicked speed improvements as well.

My new rig is the 6 core/1tb/16gig/d300. Couldn't be a better time for us 2008ers to upgrade. Sick new form factor, TB support, blazing new SSDs, ninja fast processors... I debated on getting this vs the base quad and I'm glad I got the 6 core. I plan on keeping this bad boy for another 6 years if possible so it seems like this config is the most bang for my buck. Congrats on your order man! Which ever CTO rig you pick, you're gonna be more than satisfied.

0x2102

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2014
From 8 core 2008 to 6 core - really impressed.

You have all rights to be impressed. Almost a 100% speed increase with less cores and less power consumption - indeed that is really impressive.

And the best part .... it's silent under 100% CPU load.

Truthfulie

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2013
No CD player.

They could totally fit one, especially cause it's round.

Adding an flat optical drive in a horizontal fashion would interfere with bottom-to-top airflow of the cylinder form factor. They could have put it in towards the bottom somehow without interfering too much with bottom intake if they really wanted to but I imagine that will be very awkward inconvenient way to load the disc.

JQuick

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2014
heckkk no cd's can burn in hell

Sorry to burst your bubble but CD and DVD burners are only designed to operate up to 35C or 95F. Vinyl LPs are similarly unsupported in hell. It's kind of ironic since folks who sell audiophile cables will all end up there, and will have to make do with mp3s. My theology is a bit rusty but my guess is that there will be Zunes:)

I am with you, though. I haven't used a DVD in years.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Sorry to burst your bubble but CD and DVD burners are only designed to operate up to 35C or 95F. Vinyl LPs are similarly unsupported in hell. It's kind of ironic since folks who sell audiophile cables will all end up there, and will have to make do with mp3s. My theology is a bit rusty but my guess is that there will be Zunes:)

HP ProLiant servers have virtual DVD drives - at the BIOS level you enter the URL of the .ISO file....

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*

Having heard mp3's through 250k dollars worth of Bryson/KEF I have to say even with my tinnitus smashed ear holes they sound absolutely dreadful. Lossless recordings I done off my Roksan Xerxes on the other hand were the opposite :D

Satan must have air con to store and play his vinyl!

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
Adding an flat optical drive in a horizontal fashion would interfere with bottom-to-top airflow of the cylinder form factor. They could have put it in towards the bottom somehow without interfering too much with bottom intake if they really wanted to but I imagine that will be very awkward inconvenient way to load the disc.

They could have placed it below the intake.

Larry-K

macrumors 68000
Jun 28, 2011
Having heard mp3's through 250k dollars worth of Bryson/KEF I have to say even with my tinnitus smashed ear holes they sound absolutely dreadful. Lossless recordings I done off my Roksan Xerxes on the other hand were the opposite :D

Satan must have air con to store and play his vinyl!
I thought MP3s were the definition of Hell.

Reno Richter

macrumors member
May 31, 2012
What about a VHS drive? It's great for video...

Apple could of designed the fan to spin at exactly 33.3 rpms and varied the pitch of the blades to control cooling and provided us with a digitally controlled turntable! (freaking slackers).

I cleaned out my home office ahead of my nMP arriving..egads I had stacks and stacks of 1024 floppies stored in boxes in the back of several cabinets. Early Pagemaker when owned by Aldus must have had 10 floppies to shuffle in and out to do an install. How am I supposed to do a clean install of Aldus Pagemaker on my nMP? Major league not happy!:rolleyes:

lemonade-maker

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2009
Apple could of designed the fan to spin at exactly 33.3 rpms and varied the pitch of the blades to control cooling and provided us with a digitally controlled turntable! (freaking slackers).

I cleaned out my home office ahead of my nMP arriving..egads I had stacks and stacks of 1024 floppies stored in boxes in the back of several cabinets. Early Pagemaker when owned by Aldus must have had 10 floppies to shuffle in and out to do an install. How am I supposed to do a clean install of Aldus Pagemaker on my nMP? Major league not happy!:rolleyes:

Dude cut the rope.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
No CD player.

They could totally fit one, especially cause it's round.

I supposed you'd also want of these:

5Flop.JPG

In of these:

Mac_Mini_35536140_35522798_35440708_35522800_02_620x433.jpg

I mean they are similar in size and shape. :p

15583d1301954626t-one-warrior-hacking-media_preview.jpg

iPadPublisher

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
Coffee?

First one to come up with a coffee warmer attachment for the top of the nMP wins! Use all that heat!

WSR

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
6 core/16Gb/1TB/D500

Coming from a late 2006 iMac that maxed out at 3GB of memory, it's very fast. Even Windows 7 under Parallels boots fast.

My only problems have been with Mavericks, but some of that is working itself out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.