Anyone Upgrade to a 4S by stealing a Family Members Upgrade

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Wicked1, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I have a friend on VZ who took her mother's early upgrade but told her mom it was her upgrade even though she (the girl) was not eligible for a year.

Was not pretty when her mom found out, especially that her phone broke and now she needs a replacement. :rolleyes:

2. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Glad I'm the primary on my account and make any and all cellular decisions.

3. c0dy macrumors newbie

Yikes. My mom is my my account and her phone has been eligible for about 3 months. My phone was eligible about 2 months ago. My mom didn't want to upgrade and offered me hers - but I wanted to see what new iPhone came out in case I wanted it, so I held off - and ended up using my own upgrade. Which worked out because now she wants to upgrade anyway!

4. dallasfan671 macrumors newbie

I bought the droid bionic on my upgrade about a month ago and I dont like it. So my mother in law said I can use her upgrade to get the new 4s so I did .:)

5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

This is just another reason never to have kids...and if you unfortunately do, make them buy their own stuff.

6. 00trayn macrumors member

I was smart and when I got my Droid 1 on Verizon in May of last year, I paid an extra $40 for the phone to get a one year contract. It appears they won't do that anymore, but that $40 was a lot cheaper than buying it before an upgrade. My line was eligible in May and I was holding out for a new iPhone model on Verizon (had to wait longer than I planned... grr). Anyways, now that I'm locked into a 2 year again, I'll be eying my parents' upgrades next year when the iPhone 5 comes out if I want it. Maybe if I give my little sister my 4S she'll let me have hers, haha.

7. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

If that were my Kid, id take her off my account and make her get her own. All she had to do was maybe ask and she would of got it but since she decided to screw her Mother, ....just not a trust worthy kid and glad she isnt mine.

8. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Nice daughter. Geez.

My dad was going to give me his upgrade but he actually got sick of his RAZR a few months ago. :p Can't say as I blame him for that one. I splintered off of the family plan and got my own line. Problem solved.

9. schuyles macrumors newbie

I used my dad's to pre-order (with his permission) but only because he wants to see if he likes it. If he does, then he'll use my upgrade, which is eligible on Nov. 1, 2011.

I'm 28, and almost out of school....but I just split cost with my parents. Everybody wins! My mom already said I could use her upgrade next summer if the iphone 5 comes out.

Parents are cool, if you ask, they are usually happy to help you out.

10. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

Yep, took my daughters upgrade.

But in reality, all the lines are my upgrade since I pay the bill.

11. Rolvag macrumors regular

Rolvag

Ditto; I have 4 phones on MY account so I ALWAYS get the latest phone. If the kids don't like it they can pay for thier own account. muahahaha

12. 00trayn macrumors member

I'm almost 25 and I'm still on my parents plan. I just had them calculate how much of the plan I was using and I pay it directly to Verizon every month to their account. It works great because right now I pay $55 for unlimited data and text and 700 shared minutes for my Droid. It'll actually go down in price with my new iphone 4S because I'm dropping Verizon insurance in favor of Apple Care +. Can't beat that!!

13. ron808 macrumors regular

ron808

The person who pays the bill will have the majority of the decision making.

And be courteous.

Simple.

14. larock macrumors member

Good to see I'm not the only "Bad Parent".

I do the same thing, I pay the bill so the upgrades are mine. But my kids don't have much to complain about, yes they get a year old phone, but I take great care of them (the phones and the kids).

15. UniPro macrumors regular

UniPro

I'm currently on my parent's plan for all their business phones (they're on there as well). I coordinated with my father, who is the primary account holder for the plan, on which phone number I could used to upgrade. I made sure we wouldn't have to add a data plan to that particular number. In the end there was one line that was upgradeable that had a blackberry plan on it.

So I get the 4S, and the Office Manager gets rid of his falling apart Blackberry for my dad's two month old 3GS.

It's a win all around. :D

16. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

I took a family member's upgrade, but I'm the primary account holder regardless, and I discussed it with my family member first ;-)

17. highertechnology macrumors 6502

I am the primary on a 4 line account and I manage these lines to enable full time upgrade eligibility for me, for any device I want. My wife is also an iphone user and the other 2 lines I supply with dumb phones from ebay to keep this working.

18. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I pay the majority of the line for my girlfriend and I.

But let me try and tell her that I get both upgrades for lines whenever I feel like it. See how long that lasts ;)