Anyone use financing when they pre-ordered?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Crdv5199, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Crdv5199 macrumors newbie

A while back I was approved for Apple financing, so I figured I'd use it to pre-order an iphone 5 32g model. However, I found out later that it takes Apple longer to process financed orders and could affect the final delivery estimate. In my case, I pre-ordered at 12:20ish am pst and received the confirmation e-mail around 3:30 am. The confirmation e-mail still quoted 21/09 delivery, but as of now I'm still in the order processing stage and I'm a bit skeptic that my quote will stay that way.

Anyone else who used financing in the same boat as me/got better luck?

2. nostresshere macrumors 68030

So sad to see people borrow money for a phone.

Sad.

By the way, good luck with your processing.

3. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

you should be completely fine. If you go to apple.com and it says delivery of 9/21 still, I do not think you will get bumped.

4. wongulous macrumors 6502a

You had to know that if there was an opportunity to judge you, the members of this forum would take that opportunity. Sure enough, first reply.

I didn't buy from Apple, rather the Sprint site, but I used Bill Me Later (a PayPal service) so I can pay it off next week at my convenience rather than have a $1000 surprise go through my bank account (it would cover it but I would rather just not have to deal with account transfers etc). That's the whole point of credit cards, leisure cards, and lines of credit.

5. Evgenyy macrumors regular

If you are buying your phone on contract then you are also in fact borrowing money for your new phone and pay monthly on top of whatever your plan would cost you without that phone. Not everyone can buy them off contract at full price from Apple. In the US and Europe pretty much everyone buys their phones this way.

6. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I use Bill Me Later for things like this. I'm a two time victim of identity theft, so I like not having to key in my card details. And no interest on large purchases for several months, which rocks.

I also use PayPal whenever I can, as a more secure way to buy online.

And no, financing shouldn't affect your delivery date at all.

7. groupersandwich macrumors 6502

This is not really accurate in that you pay the same monthly rate whether you buy on contract or outright. Unless you are a service jumper it just seems plain stupid to buy a phone outright and pay an additional minimum $450 premium on top of what you pay monthly. The system is set up to financially penalize those who buy outright.

8. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

We are all in "order processing" so you are still good to go. I still hate anyone finance their phone but I bet more than half here used a credit card which if not paid at the end of the month is the same thing.

9. Sgt93 macrumors 6502

Sgt93

It is indeed, wow.

10. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

I hear that using services like Bill Me Later can/will actually be looked at negatively on your credit report.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not in the US. My bill is the same whether I buy a subsidized or unsubsidized phone.

12. bogatyr macrumors 65816

At 0% the money is better spent in your bank than in Apple's.

13. applefan022 macrumors 6502

You have to use the credit card within 30 days for the no interest financing hope you meant sooner than that, when you said a "while" back

14. og3og macrumors member

og3og

The 1st reply is why I hate these forums sometimes. The OP asked a simple question about delivery of his iPhone, I don't remember reading him asking to be judged on how he chose to pay for it. They are too many miserable losers on here that just can't wait to rip on people for stuff like that and for asking a question that may have already been asked. Get a life. If I didn't like all the rumor talk and actual good content on here, I'd stay far away. It's like high school sometimes

15. bogatyr macrumors 65816

You can call them and get 0% again. I did this for my rMBP.

16. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

Like high school?

You are forgetting the average age of these forum members. People who are talking about camping out in front of the store must not have jobs and be supporting a family, but it is sad as some do! I remember being more intense about such things but responsibility ruined it!

17. billnye97 macrumors regular

Pretty sure every purchase from Apple with their credit card (Barclay) goes through at 0% for a certain amount of time. It's making other purchases with that card that will kill you.

18. leenak macrumors 68020

Too many short term credit uses can be looked at negatively. I've never used bill me later personally. I rather just use my credit cards which give me cash back(I get $500-$700 back every year from credit cards)

19. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Well, the OP is actually making a more sound financial decision than either of you apparently would...

20. chrislaw macrumors 6502a

chrislaw

So sad to see people take the smallest of opportunities to judge people.

21. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

Do you really think US carriers subsidize your phone because you are a nice guy? They get their money back + more eventually. Come on!

22. ehz1 macrumors member

ehz1

I paid with my Bill Me Later account. 2% cash back and no interest fo 6 months. I could pay for it today but I see no reason to shell out all my cash up front when it can sit and collect a small amount of interest for 6 months.

I do agree if you can't afford it, don't buy it.

My order was placed at 6am est and I am expecting delivery October 5. Good luck with your order and hope you get to enjoy your phone next Friday. #Jealous ;)

23. groupersandwich macrumors 6502

But if you pay full price they get their money back + more + $450 ADDITIONAL cash up front. With the way the US providers are set up, paying full price is just plain stupid.

24. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

In Europe, if you pay full price for the iPhone your monthly bill will be greatly reduced because you can chose an un-subsidised SIM only contract (starting from around £10/$16 per month). Taking out finance with a low interest rate to pay off your handset could actually work out cheaper than signing up to a subsidised contract with a reduced cost (or free) handset.