Anyone use Google voice for texts?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacChinoNyc, Sep 17, 2012.

1. MacChinoNyc macrumors 6502

How good or bad does it work as far as delay in sending/receiving texts and notifications? Coming from android I'm not expecting it to be the same but hopefully not unusable on ios6. I hardly make calls with it btw.

2. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

It works pretty good.

I use it for buying and selling on craigslist because I don't want to put my real number on the internet. If anyone decides to be a Jacka$$ and spam your number you can easily change it.

The notifications seem to come in pretty fast.

3. outphase macrumors 65816

No delays. You can set up Google Voice to either forward the text to your real number or as a push to the app.

4. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

I do.

Google's Voice app works fine but if you jailbreak you can download an extension called "SMS GV" which will integrate your GV SMS into the iPhone's native Messages app. Works well.

5. Globug macrumors 6502

Globug

You can do that without jailbreaking too. It does it natively.

6. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

I don't think you and me are talking about the same thing. :cool:

7. MacChinoNyc thread starter macrumors 6502

This sounds like good news. I been using gv for texts forever and I remember gv didn't work or no app for it back when I used the iPhone.

8. MacChinoNyc thread starter macrumors 6502

Another question i have, how does it work for calls? Does it use the google number to make outside calls? In other words your actual carrier number doesnt show up on the other persons caller id but your google number does instead?

9. supervelous macrumors 6502

I think you're thinking about setting up Google Voice to forward to your cell...which isn't the same thing, because it still uses texts from your texts plan.

I also have the SMS GV extension, and the messages come into your texts app but do not count towards your messages on your text plan. So you can pretty much have no SMS and still text with people, just give them your GV number.

10. Globug macrumors 6502

Globug

Thats waht i meant. Sorry for the confusion. I thought it was the same. Opps.

11. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

does anybody know if this is or will be compatible with iOS 6, whenever that jailbreak comes out?

12. robotphood macrumors 6502a

I have been using google voice since the launch of the iPhone 4. Right now I'm using the official google voice app because its fairly clean and push notifications are stable. There are a couple AppStore apps for free texting where you can forward google voice texts to and it works pretty well but I haven't used any of them in at least a year. Until there is an iphone 5 jailbreak and I can use gv SMS/phone extension (true integration) I'll stick with the official app. Decent alternatives I've tried are gv mobile+, gv connect, and think messenger/dialer. Haven't paid for SMS for 2 years and don't plan on doing so in the near future!

13. Che Castro macrumors 603