Anyone use their iPad as their only computer for an extended period of time?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Yr Blues, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

Since iOS5 is totally PC-free now, I'm seriously considering this option. This idea intrigues me, but I have my doubts. All I need it for is to keep my resume updated (Pages), watch movies/TV (NetFlix), and browse the internet.

2. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

This summer, when I went on vacation I left my MBP at home and only took my iPad. I figured since I was on vacation and I'd be otherwise preoccupied, I could just use my iPad for my browsing sessions. Although I really liked the setup, I found myself really missing my MBP from time to time. This would be times when I was doing quite a bit of typing (such as chatting with my gf over Facebook/Skype or posting on MacRumours lol) or when I wanted to manage my vacation photos and edit them in Photoshop (the Photoshop Express app doesn't cut it). However that was just my experience. Some people may be able to survive with the iPad as their only "computer", but I can't do it.

3. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

It's not technically my only computer, but since my 5-month-old baby was born, I can easily go days without touching my desktop or laptop. I still prefer to do work on them but I *can* do most tasks on my iPad if I need to. It's just annoying to not be able to look at multiple documents side by side, etc.

4. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

I did when the first ipad came out until the 11" MBA came out! :D Now I'm back with a tablet, but it's a touchpad. I'm gonna try if I can make it thru with my usage.:cool:

5. bshef macrumors member

I use my iPad daily for browsing and note-oriented tasks because I am a student. It goes just about everywhere I go in regards to class, library, etc...

That being said, I still use my MB for tasks that require a physical keyboard..(papers, research, quizzes and tests)

As far as browsing and entertainment I have almost switched entirely to the iPad.. but there are some limitations.

I guess my point is I will use the iPad first, and for the tasks that are better suited on my MB I will make the switch.

6. bri1212 macrumors 6502

I regularly take my ipad2 on business trips and not my mac book pro.
    Only if I know i will have to process images, do i take my MBP. I have not found a good enough App to process images on the Ipad, as yet. I don't mind the onscreen keyboard, and I use it for most everything. I do have a bluetooth keyboard for those times when I am going to be typing for an extended period, or number of pages. The Ipad, seems to do everything else I need, quite nicely, including work with my companies ERP software perfectly.
    The only thing my ipad doesn't do, other than Photoshop, is World of Warcraft. As soon as they get that going on the Ipad, I can pretty much drop my mac book pro too.

7. APlotdevice, Oct 31, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2011

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

I use my iPad almost exclusively at the moment. My PC is only boot up on occasion to run Photoshop or transfer files.

8. palpatine macrumors 68040

my ipad does it all. i power up the mbp a few times a week, but only for a few tasks that the ipad can't do or does poorly. for example, when i need to scan receipts, or do optical character recognition on a pdf file, i use the mbp. but, for the vast majority of my stuff, the ipad does a wonderful job.

of course, your mileage will vary, depending what you do with it. the ipad is undoubtedly less flexible and more limited than a full-fledged computer, but for certain workflows, it is enough to make it a viable alternative. it is quite nice going on a work-related trip with nothing but a man purse and a change of clothes.

9. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

The longest I have gone without my laptop was a 7 day vacation with just my iPad. This was back in June so it was before iOS 5 and iCloud. It worked very well but I missed flash. Normally flash isn't an issue for me but I do like to watch Hulu and South Park. South Park worked (barely) on Skyfire but no Hulu.

I think if my laptop were to suddenly break, which could happen any day now, I would be perfectly fine with just my iPad for a few weeks. I would have to borrow a computer to print things though.

10. palpatine macrumors 68040

i was using the ipad without a computer back in june on business trips. iswifter worked great for flash. hulu app worked fine for hulu.

11. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Im doing it right now, just moved into a house, fibre doesn't get setup for another week. Haven't bothered to even unpack computer and been good for a couple weeks now.

Granted i still have my workstation at the office, but at home and for personal... Im set, tethered off the iPhone. Though pandora is chewing up my 4 gb.

12. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

I would love this to be my main computer, and feel like it is getting close.

All I need is for Apple to make Aperture for iPad and some way to sync my camera to storage. Perhaps a new Time Capsule where you can plug your USB devices into but manage everything from your iPad?

I'm tempted to get a Bluetooth keyboard for longer typing sessions, but all in all, this thing is almost completely causing me to nearly never use a pc (Mac or windows based).

13. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

I used an iPad as my only device for awhile. Sold my MBP. It didn't work out :/ Too many limitations. There are a lot of random problems you wouldn't expect to run into, that you will run into. For example, using a website that isn't tablet based. Or the lack of a file system.

14. TheGenerous macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

My girlfriend and I use it daily for grad school

15. Yr Blues thread starter macrumors 68020

Just to give me an idea, what websites won't work well on iPad, other than sites based on flash?

16. codencis macrumors newbie

When I spilt water all over my MacBook Pro, I used my iPad as my only device for about 5 weeks

:)

17. Yr Blues thread starter macrumors 68020

And how was the experience? I'm dying to hear it.

18. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Ticketmaster.com is one example. I was trying to buy tickets for a football game last night and it turns out that Ticketmaster has this new system which displays a map of the stadium and allows you to see real-time availability of seats. It's really designed for a navigating by a mouse, so it works horribly using the iPad. When I went to checkout, I couldn't even see certain parts of the checkout page so I had to finish on my iMac.

A number of NFL and college team sites also have heavy Flash components to them, not just for video but for simple web navigation. A little annoying to run into these issues on my iPad. I can get around them if I have to by using Puffin browser or iSwifter, but it's definitely a big extra step.

In the work context, I'm seeing more and more people with iPads but not as the primary device. What's really going to put it over the top is if we can get software that's fully compatible with MS Office. There are still too many compromises in Pages, Numbers, Docs To Go, Quick Office, etc., for the iPad to be a standalone device.

19. Yr Blues thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks. Sounds logical. I hope Apple gets the idea from Amazon and enables server-side flash rendering. iPad really needs flash. Heck, I use flash on my MacBook all the time and it's a mobile device.

I'm sure Apple will upgrade the business apps slowly, so I'm not too worried.

20. palpatine macrumors 68040

flash isn't really the problem. it's lots and lots of little things.

for example, i view sites in various languages, and sometimes the sites appear in gibberish because safari doesn't recognize the encryption (the site makers' fault really). so, i have to switch to icab mobile so that i can go to general settings and change the encryption. doable, but a pain in the butt.

or, when i want to upload a file for my students on blackboard. i can't do it with the ipad (there are workarounds with html links to files hosted with my own resources like dropbox, but that is a pain for everyone). i can't even upload a screenshot to macrumors!

in the case of apps, little features are missing or don't work quite right, so i can't do what i need for work. sometimes i can, but it takes so much longer that i prefer to open up the mbp and get it done.

most of the time the ipad is all i need, especially with the bluetooth keyboard. but, it is good to have the computer around for certain occasions. practically speaking, i am pretty much computer free each day, so i think a netbook + the ipad is more than sufficient.

21. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

22. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

The idea of using a tablet as ones only computer is ideal for those with light usage requirements.

For others like myself it's a complete farce. I require a computer.

Don't get me wrong, I bought the original iPad, followed by a purchase of four iPad 2 models for the family. We really enjoy them.

But they are best at content consumption, beyond which they are limited. If one tries to do any serious content creation, you'll soon tire of it's limitations.

23. henry2 macrumors regular

henry2

You bring a very good point on the simple usage reguirements for a person and here is some of my basic reason why i will keep my ipad as my only computer device i use ...

I have loaded the Amazon shopping app and a few other company app's to the ipad to use as i need for shopping & web browsing on the ipad along with front camera for face time vist with the family and friends .I use Wifi model to surf and answer emails and send emails along with useing the keyboard to do long entry's of data into the ipad or long email's as it need

Plus beening my main go to device for listening to music and playing a few game's that i have downloaded onto the unit to kill time here and there or listen to music when i'm at work .

Plus i have lighten my travel items by doing away with the Mp3 player and it other items and a laptop with it travel accessories item need and it much easlyer to go through a TSA checkpoint's when flying for work with a ipad and it accessories items than it was the laptop and it accessories for personal useage . .

I'm down to a simple netbook case with a outside pocket for the power cord and headphones in a storage case and screen cleaning cloth in own carrying bag inside the outside pocket on the netbook computer case .Then the netbook case is thrown into the daypack i use now for work & travel and it goes every where with me when i'm out of the house for any reason ..

I do most of my work on a desktop anyway at the office and it nice not to have to worry about lugging around all the items need for a laptop as the basic internet device now because of the ipad doing everything i need it to do. plus given the basic fact that i spend alot of time in hotel rooms i like the fact that i can carry it anywhere with me and not worry about it beening stolen if i leave it at the hotel room or motel that i'm staying at

24. palpatine macrumors 68040

Untrue. The iPad is actually a powerful tool for content creation. I know others have written about music. I can't speak to that, but I can speak to its ability to produce text.

I am writing my dissertation on the iPad now. I'd call that content creation :)

I also produce presentations with it (I've given two using the iPad since I upgraded to the iPad 2), write a blog, mark up and grade student essays, annotate PDFs for my research, create PDFs of handouts and educational material, produce a seemingly endless number of research notes using Evernote, and take handwritten notes on everything from lectures to meetings with my doctor.

I really cannot recommend it enough for content creation. If you are really into using the iPad in this way, I suggest getting a stylus and a bluetooth keyboard.

There are limitations, as you said, but I have found it possible to adapt my workflow. There are also benefits you cannot get with a traditional laptop, particularly for reading electronic material (I've gone paperless) and taking notes by hand.

25. seong macrumors 65816

seong

I've been on my iPad 2 since the day I got it, which was like 5 days ago. I don't know if this will continue, but I see my iPad as my secondary computer, just like MacBook airs. The only times I would use my laptop nowadays would be converting movies to iPad format, downloading stuff like zip files or use pixelmator for photo editing. Other than that, I use my iPad more than my MacBook pro.
    I haven't even bothered to use my MacBook pro to type this. That's how much I love using the iPad!