Anyone used the moshi mini-video plug for a screen: I have a 2008-late UMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by OverSpun, Sep 3, 2010.

1. OverSpun macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

I ordered it, and I didn't read all the info, and I've heard it won't work for sound?

The biggest issue is this: I can't get 1080p video?

I didn't open it, but maybe I could get a dvi plug from apple to use a dvi-> hdmi?

Anyone have any ideas? I have a dvi/hdmi 24" monitor screen.

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Only the newest generation MBP's have sound over their display port, so you won't be getting sound on your 24'' screen whatever you do. As for the rest of your post, I'm not sure I understand your question.

If you're asking if dvi-hdmi will carry sound, the answer is no, DVI does video only.

3. OverSpun thread starter macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

Well mean.. I'm mostly interested for 1080p from the moshi. Is that possible?

I know the dvi doesn't carry audio.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

I don't see why 1080p would be a problem unless the monitor isn't using that resolution.

5. OverSpun thread starter macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

My screen handles 1080p HD, that's why

6. ctyhntr macrumors 6502

ctyhntr

I have a 3rd party copy from Amazon that was only $10 complete with 6 foot HDMI cable, and it works fine with my 25" 1080p monitor. You're not going to get sound on the mini display port, that feature came out with the 2010 macbook pros.

When you plug the adapter into your macbook pro, does the screen turn blue for a second? It may not be recognizing the monitor. I that problem with my 22" Westinghouse. I simply unplug the cable and re-insert it a few times. Or may have to run the Detect Display utility in System Preferences, Display. The Detect Display utility will tell you your monitor model and name.