Anyone using a 2015 MBP/Ret with 30" ACD via Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tfosorcim, May 22, 2015.

1. Tfosorcim, May 22, 2015
    Last edited: May 22, 2015

Tfosorcim macrumors newbie

I'm planning on purchasing the latest 2015 MBP (w/Intel Iris Pro Graphics). Likely the 13" model. From what I understand, in order to output to my 6yr old 30" ACD, I'll need to purchase the Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter.

Many of the reviews I've read about this adapter complain of problems with flickering, waking from sleep, screen artifacts, or no image at all etc. -- though many of the reviews are years old.

So my question is: Does anyone here have an identical setup (late model MBP without discreet graphics) and a 30" ACD connected via this adapter? Are you pleased with the performance, or has it been a nightmare as others have found? Is it sluggish at all?

thank in advance.

2. sarthak, May 22, 2015
    Last edited: May 22, 2015

sarthak macrumors 6502

You should not have any issues with the Iris Pro running the ACD 30".

Careful! You'll need an Apple Mini Display Port to Dual-Link DVI adapter which normally runs around $100 (or around $135 in Canada).

There were certainly some flickering, blank screen or sleep wake issues with the old 1.01-1.02 firmware on the adapters.

I bought one about two years ago from BestBuy. It was a pain to find in the first place as I had to go to several different stores since many of them simply had phantom stock levels. However, the location I did end up buying from had the original box quite dusty and sitting for many years. It was indeed old firmware so I had to return it.

However, there is an Apple replacement program (not technically official) but, you should be able to get the adapter swapped with a newer one that has 1.03 firmware preloaded if you can an old stock one from a third-party. If you do order from Apple directly, it most certainly has 1.03 firmware.

There really isn't any issues I've encountered with the adapter so it should just run your display. Other concerns you may want to take note of is that the rMBP may run a bit hotter if the Iris Pro clocks up to power the external display especially if you want to run it with the lid closed.

On older machines such as the rMBP 15" 2012 that has Intel HD4000 graphics there will be low frame rates in the UI or very annoying lag with the MacBook Air 13" 2011 with HD3000. This has since been improved upon with newer machines so you should not notice too much of a performance drop in the UI. I would still strongly recommend the dGPU model (GT750M refurbished to save a few dollars or go for absolute performance with the new R9 M370X version) if you're planning on using it as a desktop-replacement such as running pro apps on the larger display.

I was planning on replacing my Mac Pro Xeon 8 Core tower with the rMBP 15" (Mid 2014 with the GT750M) however, ended up sticking in an original Apple 5870 in it so I don't have long term experience running the Iris Pro (had the rMBP 2013 Iris Pro base model previously) with the ACD 30" or my newer rMBP GT750M machine.

3. JTToft macrumors 68040

Question: Does the ACD have a proper female input, or is it a male DVI cable like the later monitors' male mDP?

A much cheaper solution than the Apple adapter might be the following:

rMBP -> mDP to HDMI adapter -> HDMI to Dual-Link DVI adapter/cable (female or male depending on the ACD's input type).

4. Tfosorcim thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much for the info guys. Enormously helpful. I didn't think Apple would continue selling the DL DVI adapter if it was such garbage (as many of the reviews on their own website imply), but needed to make sure. And, JJToft, I'll definitely check out alternative adapter such as you mentioned if, for some reason, the Apple adapter gives me trouble. Though I'm confident I'll get the latest firmware if I buy straight from Apple.

Though I may actually save up a little bit more and splurge on the 15" model with discreet graphics if the dedicated video card's performance can buy me another yr or two out of the Mac. I'm presently on a early 2008 MBP and Mac Pro and rarely thought of upgrading until I witnessed the solid state speed of my friend's new MBP (I'm still hampered by 1.5gbps SATA).

thanks again.