Anyone using Google Chrome and can confirm if pages reload on 6S/6S+?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jim165, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Jim165 macrumors member

All of the comments I'm reading state that Safari doesn't reload on the new S models, but no comment on other browsers such as Chrome, Opera, etc. I much prefer Chrome as I'm using mostly Google services on my Macbook Pro and 6+. Very frustrating that I'm constantly having crashes in Chrome on the 6+. Does the 2 gigs of RAM make it worthwhile to upgrade for a Google user?

2. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

Well, I just opened 20 different webpages in 20 different tabs and was able to switch between them with out it re-loading. So it seems to operate the same way safari does with the additional RAM.

3. Jim165 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for checking that Cuniac. How long did you surf within a page while leaving the other pages open in the background? I think the true test is to have those pages open and surf on a page for like 10+ minutes and then go to another page. When i do this on my 6+ the browser force closes. Seems like Chrome leaches memory or something...probably not as efficient as Safari...

4. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

It's a 6+ problem. Chrome reloads no more and no less than Safari. Get a 6S+ and you'll be amazed when faced with *zero* reloads of apps or browser tabs.

5. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

I would ask why bother with the Google Browsing Tracker that is Chrome? No Thank You!

6. fanta88 macrumors 6502

I switch between chrome and safari. Right now I have 18 tabs open in chrome, having worked in all of them at some point or another. There is no refresh when I jump from tab to tab, which is a distinct improvement from my 6. The 6 could only handle around 5.

7. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

It's worth noting that the two browsers handle tabs very differently. Safari creates a new process for each tab. As memory gets low, older tabs will unload, while newer tabs should remain. Chrome on the other hand uses a single process for all tabs. If the OS decides it needs the memory, it will unload the entire Chrome browser, forcing every tab to reload the next time you open it.

8. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Trust this guy. He is the most critical (and I don't mean this as an insult) person in regards to the 6 plus (followed closely by me). The six plus was a piece of ****. I know that now more than ever. The 6s plus is actually worth your money.

9. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Clearly the OP and people trying to help the OP don't mind. This question is neither helpful nor is it even really on topic. But I guess there's always gotta be that one guy.

10. Jim165 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the responses, especially lordofthereef, gordon1234, and sunking101. I'm a new iPhone user and I'm pretty deeply invested in Google services. My 6+runs all google apps perfectly with the exception of Chrome. I think I'll try to hold out for the 7S+ but I had to get to a more stable platform over the Android offerings. Loving my "underpowered" 6+ so far!