Anyone waiting for iPad 2 on Amazon to save on sales tax?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by aluren, Mar 1, 2011.

1. aluren macrumors 65816

Being in CA, sales tax is about 9%, which means an additional $70 on my iPad Wifi 64GB last year. Did anyone know when the iPad 1 was available on Amazon? If it's only a month or two after release, I might wait it out.

2. Davichi macrumors 6502

Amazon is not really an authorized retailer for iPad. You will see private sellers who wants to sell iPad for 200-300 dollars more, but you won't see them cheaper. iPad competes heavily with their kindle products.

You are better off looking at somewhere else.

3. aluren thread starter macrumors 65816

I see. I'd asked because they are selling them cheaper than Apple and it was eligible for Amazon prime shipping and no sales tax. I understand there are many third-party sellers there, but Amazon is selling the iPad as well as those new MacBook Pros that just came out.

4. esaleris macrumors 6502

5. '73-B macrumors regular

It appears that several of the ipad options on Amazon are eligible for Amazon Prime. I would imagine though that it would be a long wait for those retailers selling on Amazon to have ipad 2 offerings that are on par price-wise with official Apple authorized resellers. I'm a bit disappointed in this seeing that I have about $200 worth of Amazon gift cards - perhaps I'll use them for a case and some other accessories.

6. '73-B macrumors regular

Another thought on this - the last time I ordered something on Amazon to be shipped to a relative in CA I was charged CA sales tax. I believe that Amazon is now collecting sales tax when goods are shipped to several states.

7. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

I kept an eye on Amazon With iPad 1 to try and save on sales tax and it wasn't until about 4 months after release that the prices on Amazon with prime shipping (these are mostly 3rd party sellers...just fulfilled by amazon) started to match retail prices. Even at that point, they would be available and then 10 minutes later they would be sold out at that price point and the next available would be at 200+ over retail.

It really just depends on how lucky you are...I am sure there were sellers selling it for retail before the first time I saw it but they go quick.

8. chitown23 macrumors newbie

just bought a receiver in Chicago which has 10.25% sales tax, it was tax free. Technically though you are supposed to claim this on your State taxes and are charged at least 6.25% - regardless, amazon is not charging sales tax if it doesn't come from a 3rd party seller and they are the ones to sell.

To the OP - I read somewhere that the ipad would not be available outside of apple stores for almost 5-6 months - but that, again, is rumor.

9. '73-B macrumors regular

Good catch - I think the item was sold by Target - but Amazon is indeed charging sales tax on orders from Amazon.com, LLC to certain states:

10. aluren thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks guys for the info. That's exactly what I was looking for. Hopefully the iPad 2 becomes available sooner this time around and the supply constraints are less than that of the iPad 1.

11. Jcoz macrumors 6502

No but I will wait until I can get it through BB and 18 mo no interest....

12. Syk macrumors 6502a

If Amazon is incorporated in your state they will charge sales tax. I think TN is getting a distribution center soon or I think that's what I read which will mean sales tax :(

13. nvcplus macrumors regular

What are you talking about? How much was the receiver?