Anyone want the iPhone's screen to stay the size it is now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PerplexShyt, Mar 22, 2012.

1. PerplexShyt macrumors 6502

I for one love the size of the iPhone's screen, it is perfect to me. Anything larger isn't necessary, and I think it would make the phone more prone to accidents (cracks, etc).

I see other phones boasting with larger screens, but I think the screen size of the iPhone is great. Just what I need in regards to a cell phone.

I have an iPad if I need a bigger screen, so Please next iPhone stay the same size!
    If the screen became more flush to the sides, I can live with that I guess. I still would have concerns about the strength of the screen when dropping or sitting on it.

This is my opinion of course. What are your thoughts?

2. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

You asked for our thoughts, so keep that in mind.

I think this is a ridiculous debate that will only be settled once the next iPhone is announced. I, for one, would love to have a larger screen. Not necessarily the 4.6" monster that was rumored yesterday (which I would bet the farm isn't happening). But 4" would work just fine for me.

BTW, just because the screen is larger doesn't mean it's more prone to cracking. I've also got a GSII (4.3" screen) and I've never had an issue or thought to myself that it was more prone to breaking.

While I'll admit the GSII (the actual form factor) FOR ME starts to feel too big sometimes, there's also a lot of wasted space on the iPhone. I don't see why Apple couldn't make the form factor ever so slightly bigger (a tiny bit) and then put a 4" screen in it. It seems doable to me, but what do I know?

If we're voting, I'm voting for the larger screen (without going overboard).

3. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

I like the screen exactly as it is. And going off of Apple's pattern of making things thinner, smaller, lighter, etc...I doubt we'll ever see an iPhone screen bigger than 3.5. In fact, I imagine at this time next year...Android phones will be receding back to the 3.5-4 inch range...rather than the 4.3+ thats happening now.

4. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    My first thought is that it's a darned good thing that the first iPhone didn't come with a 2.5" display and a clickwheel UI, like they originally worked on.

Millions of people would've protested any change to a larger display or touchscreen.

Seriously, I think much of the worry is due to not having enough choice, as Apple only puts out one new model a year.

5. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

iOS works perfectly on 3.5", which is not surprising because it was basically designed around this screen size. I can't think of a single reason why I would want a bigger screen and phone.

6. chrisbetty macrumors 6502

3.5" is perfect,Although i could acclimate to 4" but after that it gets to be a little too much.

7. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I don't want the phone to get bigger, but I won't complain if they make the screen edge to edge. There is a little bit of unused space around the screen.

8. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

9. groupersandwich macrumors 6502

I just ditched my Droid X (4.3") for an IP4 and I can tell you that so far I'm not at all thrilled with the smaller screen. iOS is superior to Android in most areas from what I can tell. Although there are some things in Android that blow away it's counterpart in iOS. However, the small screen on the iPhone really cheapens the experience for me. It's sort of like drinking Dom Perignon (iOS) out of a styrofoam cup (iphone hardware). But, that's just my opinion after comparing use of the two side by side. Others, especially those who have not owned a phone with a larger screen, may not agree. Oh, and the one handed operation argument? I have found my X to much more conducive to one handed use than my iPhone thus far, although that could be a function of having swype on the X and no such option on the iPhone. I haven't had to "type" anything on a phone in 2 years so I'm a little rusty.

10. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

[​IMG]

11. iMacC2D, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  12. b24pgg macrumors 65816

13. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Screen 3.5 or 3.7 or 4 inch would I ever accept. Anything larger and its a no go for me. Really dislike the large 4.3 and larger cell phones. ;) Returned the Galaxy S 2 a few months back because it was too big for me. However, I understand that some individuals like them large for gaming. But I don't see a cell phone for gaming, too small

14. ahfu25 macrumors 6502a

I would be happy with the device staying the same size and thickness with an edge to edge screen.

15. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

Yes, but if they'd use that, iPhones would start to look like the cheap plastic linux running stuff Samsung keeps cranking out.

16. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

this, i dont mind if it is still 3.5, its the fact that there is too much besel on the iPhone now. I would like it edge to edge too.

17. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Give me a 4 incher!! I think I would be ok with the size up to a max of 4.3" but nothing larger. But I think apple should/will go with 4" for two reasons. A) Any larger and it would begin to be large for people with smaller hands (females, children, some males) and B) I think that's the largest size they could go and conceivably keep the "retina" claim. And there is no way they are going to double the pixel density again....

18. sueperdave macrumors newbie

This is one place that they will make some size increase...they have not maximized the potential here...yet.
    I would like a 4" for sure.

19. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

20. MrKennedy macrumors member

Wirelessly posted

I'd love an increased screen size. If an LTE iPhone requires a larger battery, the phone would probably need to be a bit bigger which would give Apple the perfect excuse to introduce a 3.7-4 inch screen.

21. PerplexShyt thread starter macrumors 6502

the new title of this thread is called "what kind of asian wang do you prefer"

22. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I couldn't have said it any better than this! I've been waiting for a larger screen, since it came out.

23. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

The Nexus S and the iPhone 4/4S form factors are almost exactly the same. The Nexus S is larger in form by slightly.

4" on the current or slightly larger iPhone form factor is absolutely doable.

24. jmgregory1 macrumors 65816

jmgregory1

Chicago and a few other places around the world
    I don't want a bigger phone. If Apple can increase screen size without increasing the overall phone size (reduction in bezel size), that's fine, but I for one don't want to be carrying around a mini iPad in my pocket. If it needs to grow in size, I'm fine with increasing the thickness, but keep the length and width the same - that's what she said...