Anyone want to give me some advice?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by iznAdiznam, Mar 4, 2004.

  1. iznAdiznam macrumors newbie


    Apr 27, 2001
    Hey everyone. I was all set on waiting for the revision B G5's, but Apple is offering a great deal right now. I can get the 1.6 G5, with 2GB of RAM, and a combo drive for $2,000 after tax (with education discount). This offer sounds quite amazing, but who knows what is right around the corner. Either way, I don't think I'd be able to get that much RAM for that cheap. ITs saving me over $300 on Apple RAM. Even through third party RAM its not that cheap.

    So, what do you think? Wait for revision B and hope for an upgraded entry level G5 maybe dual for the same price or cheaper? Or go for the 2GB of RAM on the 1.6?


  2. bpd115 macrumors 6502a


    Feb 4, 2003
    At the very least I would get the single 1.8 with 512 for 1800 at the special deals section and then just add in 2 512 chips from cruical for 200.00.

    If you don't mind refurbished, get a dual. I got a dual 2.0 for 2399 and it was like brand new.
  3. flyfish29 macrumors 68020


    Feb 4, 2003
    New HAMpshire
    There is ALWAYS something right around the corner...whether it is a few weeks out or a few months...think to yourself is there anything this G5 won't do that the next one will...maybe save you a few seconds here and there, but what about the seconds you need to wait to get it. Upgrade your life NOW and get the thing and have fun. Of course to muddy up the water, what if the next revision comes out and this one is dropped $400 or more.

    I tend to wait til a revision comes out then decide within the week to get the new one or the old one for the reduced price or better yet refurbished. I did that with my iMac 1Ghz which was retailing for $1749 I think when I was debating, then the next rev. came out and I picked up the same computer for $1299 refurb off That was a real deal! I decided at the time that USB 2.0 and the few other upgrades would not really make my life $500+ better and I could use that extra cash to upgrade the memory, upgrade to iLife 4 and Panther soon and still have money for beer while surfing the mac world! :D :cool:
  4. agreenster macrumors 68000


    Dec 6, 2001
    Walt Disney Animation Studios
    Everything Ive read says to not waste your time with the 1.6 model. Serious performance problems. I wouldnt get anything less than a dual 1.8. I think you'll regret it if you do.

Share This Page