Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pinwanger

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2007
my speaker seems to be making crackling sounds, from text message, to ring tone, to some of the songs i play thru speaker, i can hear definitely distortion to it. Just wondering if anyone have similar experiences.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
my speaker seems to be making crackling sounds, from text message, to ring tone, to some of the songs i play thru speaker, i can hear definitely distortion to it. Just wondering if anyone have similar experiences.

I've noticed the distortion on the text message sound (tri-tone) and when I connect it to power.

Thought about taking it in but I know I won't get a replacement because nobody has any in stock. I'll just wait til the hype dies down.

BullittMustang

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2008
I've noticed the distortion on the text message sound (tri-tone) and when I connect it to power.

Thought about taking it in but I know I won't get a replacement because nobody has any in stock. I'll just wait til the hype dies down.

Mine does the same thing, I also have the high pitch sound after a text message. I think most of them have the problem. I don't want to take it back and get another that does the same thing. If I wait until the problem is fixed and then go exchange I'll probable get a refurb, I don't want that either. Maybe we'll get lucky and it will be fixed through an update.

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA

See, that's where you're wrong.

Apple knew the very anal people on Macrumors would find SOMETHING wrong with the phone, so they put new 3GS' in white/black boxes for replacements to our analness. If you go in today, you'll get your white box with (most likely) a new iPhone in it.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
The Genius Bar uses different stock than what the store uses to sell to new customers, so just because a store is "sold out" doesn't mean the Genius Bar can't replace a defective one.

mplewis87

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama
I went in for the exact same problem. SOO annoying. They gave me an iPhone in the little white box (99% sure it's new), and it does the same thing.

Solution is to wait for an update to 3.0 I think... I had a loose vib button on both phones too... That's also annoying.

At least glad everyone else is as anal as me.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Well my phone is perfect otherwise (save an itty bitty light leak in the upper left corner but I reaaaally had to hunt for that) so I'll probably just accept it as a defining characteristic of my phone.

Some kids have annoyingly screechy voices and their parents still love them, don't they?

X in 415

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2009
San Francisco
I have an appointment at the Genius Bar tonight for this very reason. i will report back. The thing is, I am also experiencing voice distortion when I am talking on the phone. The persons voice is overdriving the speaker it seems.

Switz213

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2008
I went today. He said he kind of heard it, but not really. I decided to hold on to it as it is perfect otherwise. I believe it is a software issue more as when I do it through the settings, it isn't distorted at all. AIM noise is really distorted though.
I might go back and just swap it.

Aaleck

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2007
Michigan, USA
Hurray, searched around and found this. I was about to make a new thread. I'm glad to see other people have this problem. I hear it with the text messages I get with Tri-Tone, but if I go into the settings to change the text message sound and click on Tri-Tone, it sounds perfect...

Hopefully it'll be fixed in 3.1, I would hate to replace a perfectly fine iPhone... Knowing my luck, I'll trade one problem for another (which I did for my iPhone 3G)

X in 415

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2009
San Francisco
well, I went in to the genius bar and they heard what i was talking about. I have a receipt for a new 3GS once it comes in (they were out of stock). Im not so sure this is a software problem myself. In 99% of all other speaker distorting situations I have experienced, it was hardware related. This may or may not be the case, but if I get a new iPhone, it should theoretically be free of problems (famous last words). we will see. But I am still experiencing it, not only when I am speaking to someone, but even when I place a call and am listening to the other persons phone ring.

Aaleck

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2007
Michigan, USA
well, I went in to the genius bar and they heard what i was talking about. I have a receipt for a new 3GS once it comes in (they were out of stock). Im not so sure this is a software problem myself. In 99% of all other speaker distorting situations I have experienced, it was hardware related. This may or may not be the case, but if I get a new iPhone, it should theoretically be free of problems (famous last words). we will see. But I am still experiencing it, not only when I am speaking to someone, but even when I place a call and am listening to the other persons phone ring.

Is your problem through the speaker on the bottom or the speaker through the ear piece?

X in 415

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2009
San Francisco
Is your problem through the speaker on the bottom or the speaker through the ear piece?

My problem was through the speaker you listen to when talking on the phone when you are holding the phone to your head. Not sure the technical name, the ear piece speaker?
Anyways, I got a new replacement and its 100% functional and not distorting. So that leads me to believe that it was a hardware issue, not a software issue.

astonecold83

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2009
Bronx NY
I am on my second 3GS and both have had that distortion issue as well.

I am on my 3rd 3GS and still have the issue and both replacement where new but still have that sound distortion. But I have to say that I only notice it when I plug in the phone to be charged. I guess it could be worst :rolleyes:

dagomike

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2007
The ringer/speaker phone on mine has some distortion if it's up all the way. I take it down two ticks and sounds good. Same as described, I notice it on the tri-tone alert. It seems loud, so I don't have a problem lower the volume to perform correctly. I'd rather have it put out too much sound for the speaker than not enough.

jimlyonsie

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2009
its a known issue apple is working on.

I am glad that you have said this, but do you have a link or some proof to substantiate this claim. If it were a known issue, would the Genius employees not know this and reassure the public when returning for such issues. I would expect that Apple could post some sort of bulletin to notify the public on some of the 'known issues' such as the external speaker and yellow screen.

Having moved from a 3G I am reasonable well versed in the iPhone and I trust that this is a software issue that can be rectified in the coming weeks. However if I were a newbie to the product I would think that the hardware has serious defects, and would be very disappointed.

Why no official word on this :apple:

X in 415

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2009
San Francisco
I should clarify. I was also having the distorting tri tone text sound and the replacement iPhone I received still has this. That I believe is a software issue. What I went in for was the other persons voice distorting the ear speaker during a call. This I do not believe to be a software issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.