Anyone who has the 2011 model gonna sell it to get the 2012 refresh?

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
2,128
601
I typically buy the latest iPhone and iPad as soon as the refresh hits since the upgrade cost typically isn't that bad (sold my iPad 2 for $450 two months ago and bought the new one for $500). I thought about getting into the habit of doing it with my MacBook Air but I really can't foresee the next refresh being that much better. Sure it will be faster and include USB 3.0 (maybe) but unlike the past refresh which added a Core i5, Thunderbolt, and a backlit keyboard, I just can't see the next one being worth the hassle of selling and upgrading.

What are your thoughts? I'd like to hear opinions from people who plan on holding onto their 2011 model and those who plan on upgrading.
 

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
2,622
6
Toronto
I probably won't.
I probably will keep it as it fits my needs fine.
I will get a new iPod probably.
I do see your logic though.
 

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
2,164
188
Depends on what is in the refresh. If it's just incrementally faster processor and maybe USB 3.0, then no. Something like a new form factor or better displays then probably yes.
 

atMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
328
0
Maybe, I may upgrade to a i7, if it also has UBS3, a SATA3 SSD and 6GB of RAM or more.

Other wise it's not really to much worth an upgrade for me.
 

tech324

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2010
274
0
I may upgrade if they come out with a 15 inch macbook air. I have the 13 inch macbook air (2011) and i love it but a 15 inch would be kick ass. Especially if they up the ram. i think the processor is fine unless they can make it more efficient.
 

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
2,722
760
I tried selling my 11" a few weeks ago and was getting offers left and right but I backed off because I wasn't sure I could handle losing it. But after thinking it through I tried listing it again last week and NOBODY wants it. I guess the new iPad soured the ultra portable market.
 

arctic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2008
632
1
I actually have my eyes open on what the new 13" Pro will be like. If it indeed will have a thinner form factor and a better resolution than what the 13" Air has now, I might jump on that. The biggest factor will be a GPU better than the HD4000 for the Pro because I'm sure the upcoming Air would be limited to just the HD4000. Also the fact that the Air update would be a bit later than the Ivy Bridge Pro and I need to quench my 'new Mac thirst' asap.
 

harleymhs

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2009
468
25
I longer lasting battery would make me sell my 11" i5 .. other than that I Love my 11" air!!
 

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
1,343
119
England
I typically buy the latest iPhone and iPad as soon as the refresh hits since the upgrade cost typically isn't that bad (sold my iPad 2 for $450 two months ago and bought the new one for $500). I thought about getting into the habit of doing it with my MacBook Air but I really can't foresee the next refresh being that much better. Sure it will be faster and include USB 3.0 (maybe) but unlike the past refresh which added a Core i5, Thunderbolt, and a backlit keyboard, I just can't see the next one being worth the hassle of selling and upgrading.

What are your thoughts? I'd like to hear opinions from people who plan on holding onto their 2011 model and those who plan on upgrading.
No I wont. I upgrade my iDevices yearly but not my macs. I actually use my macs for serious stuff other than messing about so dont need the hassle. I will be getting the new imac in 2012 when that launches. But I am completely happy with my 2011 air. I use it more than anything else.
 

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
1,127
1
I want to switch my personal late 2011 MBP 13" for a MBA 13" so I'll probably do it during the refresh later this year. My work MBA is quite nice and I dread pulling out my personal MBP due to the size now.
 

DDustiNN

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2011
1,993
814
If:
  • Higher (retina?) resolution
  • 8 GB RAM
  • USB 3.0
  • i7 1.8 or more
Then:
  • Yes
Else:
  • No
 

WMuntean

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2007
178
0
I'm looking to upgrade my 2010 MBA. Hope I can get $800 (w/ a year Apple Care left) for the base 13" model--I'm trying to stay hopeful.

I like working on the MBA, but I'm finding myself needing more power and ram. If the new MBA won't offer 8GB I might have to go to a 13" pro. Blah. I hope to upgrade my MBA this year and wait another year (or two) to upgrade my 17".
 

normwood

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2008
654
16
In a house...duh!
I just bought my 11" about 3 weeks ago....so nope.

I use it for sofa surfing and it rides along in my Timbuk2 messenger bag for those impromptu surfing sessions while about and about. Works perfectly for my needs.

Steve
 

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
1,688
196
Relative wants my 2011 13in, so probably going to spring for a 2012 once they hit. Not sure if I'm going to go 11in or 13in, but we'll see. Once I get it, I'll probably keep it for 2-3 years.

I'm hoping for 2 things, aside from Ivy Bridge which is a given - Vastly increased battery life (especially on the 11) and HD FaceTime camera. With all the news about retina displays, that'd be cool too though.

My one true dream is for the 11in to squeeze in a 12.5in or 13in screen, while keeping the same dimensions. It wouldn't be too hard if they moved the camera a little higher and the Macbook Air logo a little lower. They might need some type of thinner LCD, but I think it's doable. But I don't think we'll see it happen.
 

scottrichardson

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2007
496
4
Ulladulla, NSW Australia
I don't own the 2011 model personally, I have the 2010 one, so I am definitely looking to upgrade. This model has been an awesome bit of kit - the SSD makes up for the Core2Duo IMHO. I really would like 8GB RAM and a faster SSD next time. A HiDPI screen wouldn't go astray!
 

axu539

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2010
929
0
My biggest desire right now is a higher resolution screen. Everything else in the current Airs is quite amazing already. If those come to fruition, I will sell my 11" MBA (currently my only machine) and buy a new 13" for my only machine. If that doesn't happen, I'll probably just pick up a 15" Pro at the next refresh and stick with my dual-machine setup.
 

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
1,582
21
No, I maxed out my 13" and I'm very happy with it. If a 15" arrives I might consider upgrading next time around, but I usually hold on to laptops for a bit longer.