Anyone who ordered in store with AT&T... check your bank account

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SIUGRAD99, Jun 12, 2009.

1. SIUGRAD99 macrumors regular

I pre-ordered my phone at the local AT&T store on Tuesday the 9th. The authorization for 317 was put on my account at that time. I went to my bank account today to see if my check had been direct deposited and something didn't look right so I checked my authorizations and AT&T had authorized the 317 again at midnight last night so I had over 630 dollars held for this purchase. I had to call the bank to have the one authorization removed.

I am assuming this means the phones will be shipping possibly Monday or Tuesday since they said they wouldn't charge your card until the phone shipped.

2. yakkonvazn macrumors member

I ordered mine through premier. I still haven't been charged anything.

3. Ekelon macrumors newbie

Yea I got an e-mail saying they won't charge my credit card until the iPhone is delivered.

4. six212 macrumors newbie

I ordered mine from a local AT&T store also and I was charged instantly. I paid by debit though.

5. SIUGRAD99 thread starter macrumors regular

I would still double check your account. 317 dollars is a big surprise if you don't realize it. I am sure the authorization would have fallen off in a few days, but for those who live paycheck to paycheck that would be a problem :)

6. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

I'm glad I paied my cc off 3 days ago, if you applied $600 to my card lasr week the plastic would have melted and Capitol one would be calling me.

7. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

I saw a post either on the att support forums or the apple support forums that att does in fact charge twice but the 2nd falls off. It's some type of reserve. I forget what they called it.

I used my CC and have yet to be charge anything

8. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I just checked my credit card account and I have no charges from AT&T.

I think that Apple charges your card twice, not AT&T.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No charges yet from apple on my order. It's got to come out sooner or later so it doesn't bother me when apple will charge it

10. joro macrumors 68020

joro

As I mentioned on another thread, a merchant has the right to pre-authorize your card for the amount. Meaning if you gave them a card - whether it was run as debit OR credit - and it's linked to your checking account, they will hold that money against the account and it will drop off about 2-3 days later. In saying that, keep in mind most banks will charge you overdraft fees based on those pending holds, so if your account overdraws because of the hold you will get dinged.

They will send through another authorization "when it ships" that will then be marked as final and will post through the account within 2-3 days.

11. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

I honestly don't mean to sound judgmental but comments in these sorts of threads always make it seem like so many people are walking a very fine line with their account balances. A device like an iPhone seems like such a discretionary "toy" above and beyond the need for a mobile phone and not something to be going after if you are living paycheck to paycheck or scraping the ceiling of spending limits.

I'm certainly not saying this applies to all and realize some just like to scrutinize their account balances for security reasons. However, I think some are stretching themselves a bit too much. If you have to orchestrate the timing of a charge for a phone, it should probably be a warning sign.

Sorry. Not to sound like I'm on a high horse, but it's just a bit concerning...

12. dagomike macrumors 65816

You have a point, but if you balance your check book, an extra $300 can throw a wrench in your planning. Obviously people shouldn't be worried about one hold for the phone if your finances are in order.

Anyway, I don't have any activity on my card, but my available credit has been reduced by my order amount. I pre-ordered in store.

13. labman macrumors 604

labman

if you are paying with Debit

which btw is what I do lol AT&T reserves the money to make sure it's there and then charges you when they are ready to ship. For some reason sometimes it will show up as a double hit. if the bank doesn't remove the reserve right away. kind of a hiccup between AT&T and the bank this could also happen with Apple both precharge Debit card holders. Trust me I know! :rolleyes: and both appear to be ready to ship soon of course it depends on your area. for me Cali too Mi. Fedex will also be told not to deliver until the 19th so you might see it on hold in your area on say the 17th. in a few cases Fedex will mess up and predeliver a few before the 19th. Of course I am hoping to be on of them.

14. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

My credit/debit is just showing a pending charge for the iPhone and it has deducted the amount from the balance of my account. Seems like any other transaction.

15. PezRadar macrumors regular

Dont worry

This happened to me and i posted about it yesterday afternoon.

I checked this morning and the first charge from back on the 9th of June when I was in the store dropped off now I just have the one from yesterday.

Mine hasn't shipped yet.

16. TRAG macrumors 6502

TRAG

I just pre-ordered mine over the phone with a close family friend who works for AT&T. She told me I don't have to pay until Friday morning when I show up to get it.

17. BigOrangeSU macrumors regular

Everything is sooo sketchy. I did a direct fullfilment preorder and I was charged plus tax to my debit card but right now its showing as pending. It has still been deducted from my balance.

18. outphase macrumors 65816

I pre-ordered on the 11th. My CC online statement has a reduced remaining credit limit, but it has not appeared in recent activity. I think there's a hold without a charge having fully gone through yet.

19. SIUGRAD99 thread starter macrumors regular

If you read my post I said nothing about it making or breaking my bank account, but the majority of people who follow their accounts would notice 300 dollars just missing from their available account. I guess life up on the high horse affords you the ability to not have to monitor your finances.... hooray for you

20. SIUGRAD99 thread starter macrumors regular

They told me I didn't pay until it shipped so i'm assuming the 2nd charge was the one to stay on my account and that means my phone has/will ship monday or tuesday. As for the pre-authorization, 2-3 days to hold an additional 300 is excessive and to be honest the charge should override the authorization to avoid this, but i'm not the bank. US Bank took care of the confusion for me so all was fine. Hope to see a change in status on my order page Monday.

21. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

+1. This is exactly what is taking place on my Visa.

22. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

like I said already, I ordered at att. this is at the bottom of my confirmation email

Your credit card will not be charged until the order is shipped.

so that explains why it's not in my recent activity

23. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Hey Moneybags if you don't watch your cheeze there will always be a rat to take it away.

I keep an extra account that only has the amount of money I need for whatever in it (debit), so if ATT tells me its going to cost 3xx and I put 400 dollars into that account for that transaction an extra auth on top of that would put me over the edge. Its great that OP (as well as others on other boards) mentioned this to anyone who might use a debit card for this type of transaction. Knowledge is power :D

24. SIUGRAD99 thread starter macrumors regular

Apparently Knowledge is only power for those who live paycheck to paycheck. Moneybags doesn't worry about that though. They say it won't be charged until it ships, so anyone expecting to walk up and pay that morning on a pre-order is mistaken as the $ will be gone before the 19th.

25. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

What I was told when I pre-ordered was that I would see a pending transaction on my debit account and once I picked it up, it would clear. So far, they've told the truth.