Anyone who switched from Android: talk me through it.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Saroyan, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Saroyan, Feb 6, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2012

Saroyan macrumors newbie

I've been a Mac user since 2003 but have a family plan with T-Mobile, so my phone the last year and a half has been the T-Mobile G2 by HTC. I've been very happy with the phone and with the Android operating system, but I'm dissatisfied with the signal and will join my fiance's Verizon plan shortly.

The question is, then, which phone do I get? Like I said, my G2 has been fantastic and I've no complaints about it. But that phone runs "clean" Android, with negligible bloatware and no interface changes; to get that on Verizon I'd need to pay $299 for the Nexus, versus $199 for the 16GB iPhone 4S (I really don't need the $299 32G). I could get whatever Android is the next step down and root it, but I'm profoundly uninterested.

So iPhone it is, then? I'd miss the homescreen widgets; the iPhone interface sort of bores me. This is unbearably stupid, but I'd miss the indie/outsider cred of not having what all the cool kids have. Other than that I'm really not sure what's holding me back.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has made the switch from Android to iOS, especially if your reasons for doing so were unrelated to dissatisfaction with the system. I've had no trouble with Android and would hold on to my G2 longer if the screen weren't broken.

I'm obviously conflicted about this decision, so your comments are most appreciated. Let's keep it civil and invective-free: I'm not interested in a battle to the death. I just need a new phone.

I'm also curious if the 4S is a significant enough upgrade to warrant not getting the 4 for $99 through Verizon, and if it's an idiotic move to get the 4S now when the next upgrade may or may not come out later this year.

2. cynics macrumors G3

I'm pro android but use a work provided 4s. What I would do is jot down everything you do and see if the iPhone can do that stuff.

Even little things like widgets and such. If you aren't sure we can let you know.

I've noticed light/casual users make the switch really easy. Same with people that are generally uninterested with phone tech who just want to call and text with very light web browsing.

A hardcore geek will have more difficulty since iOS is a bit locked up.

3. Stanjara macrumors member

Hmmm

Well i didn't have android, but i will give you the advice. Buy the phone that your close friends have...or people around you. That way you can discuss apps...find out witch are free, or on the discount, or simply cool. On apple there is facetime and imessage...game center. Maybe someone can gift you an app...or a case for some occasion.

Android and ipones are pretty equal in speed and specs. But iphone 4s is better than a 4. If the 4s is more expensive for you then ip4 is way to go...it is excellent. If the price difference is minimal then 4s.

All those widgets and dorky stuff are irrelevant.

4. cynics macrumors G3

Oh another thing is 3G on Verizon network is pretty bad. Coverage is great but the majority of time I get less then .25mbs down.

What I do now is use my LTE tablet set to wifi hotspot and use that since I drive all day.

You can't talk + data with an iPhone on Verizon's network either so the mobile hotspot helps there too.

5. Saroyan thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm a geek in other parts of life -- web development, statistical programming, GIS -- but it does not extend to my phone. I call, text, go online, and use a handful of apps that I'm fairly sure have iOS counterparts (PocketCasts, Wunderlist, Spotify, and so on). I don't run in particularly tech-savvy circles, so I'd trust blogs and forums for app recommendations more than I'd trust friends... but Facetime and iMessage do seem like potentially useful features.

Evidence so far indicates my iPhone aversion has no rational basis, but arises from some internal need to never do the cool and popular thing. An appropriate response would be to get over myself.

6. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

It sounds like you already talked yourself into the iPhone 4S. You literally know all of your options for staying with a stock Android experience but don't want that. There is nothing wrong with that by the way, but I just don't see what is left for discussion.

In terms of the 4 versus the 4S, if you are going to keep it a full two years I say go with the 4s. That said, $99 seems to be what's keeping you from the GNex (or at least that was the only real reservation you mentioned). The iPhone 4 is likely to be supported for another two years, based on how long the 3GS has been supported. The support will be there, but you will also likely experience slowdown. I can definately feel slowdown with the 3GS and it is also noticeable between the 4 and 4S. Today, it may not be a $99 slow down. A year into your contract it will be. It really depends on how big a deal $99 is to you honestly. I don't buy a whole lot of electronics and petty items, so when it comes to a phone I buy what I want, regardless of price, within reason.

Depending on what you want to spend, you can get a used 4 for around $300, then you will have an upgrade ready for the next iPhone, which will likely be a huge leap forward. Just another option on the table for you.

----------

If everyone you know is on iOS, they are great. If not, I see no point. If you text, you will still need a text plan. If you Skype, you can do that on other phones. Neither is a reason to go with iOS IMO.

7. cynics macrumors G3

The function of FaceTime and iMessage are things android can do with different google apps. The are not bound to ios users nor do you have to be on a wifi network like FaceTime.

While I agree there are reason to get an iPhone FaceTime and iMessage are not them.

8. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Agree with everything said here, however with jailbreak out now, I have everything I wanted with Android, minus the widgets (but I am pretty happy with iOS widgets addons in cydia tbh). There is a bit more of an investment with iOS though. Seems all the useful features on Cydia now cost $. Some as high as $10 (though it was worth it for Intelliscreen X IMO). OP did mention he doesn't want to root the android phone, so JB may be out as well, though.

9. Vikingobsessed macrumors newbie

I had a Droid X

on Verizon for about a year (before Verizon got the iPhone) and liked it perfectly well enough...camera was crap for taking pics in low light, tho, even at 5MP. I had tons of apps on it and I had modded it enough to keep it interesting for me. I would say I liked it 92%....then I was available for an upgrade and got the 4...loved, loved, loved it! Some things just seem to work smoother on it for me. iOS5 took care of the little Android things I was missing and then when the 4S came out I used one of our other upgrades for it and am happy with that, also. The ease of having my music in all places at once, Airplay to my ATV2, OTA syncing, etc make it a better user value for me.

I did kind of miss the ability to mod the icons and screens but followed the directions from another website and jb this weekend. I am a 48 yr old grandma and was able to do this (and it's totally reversible if it's not for you).

Since it doesn't seem like cost is much of a factor, I say go for it with the 4S, see how you like it, and if you don't, other things are always available to you. Also, Siri is kind of cool My son has the droid version (iris) on his Incredible and it is AWFUL. Granted he hasn't trained it much, but for out of the box usability, it sucks.

10. Saroyan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, all. Money is realistically not an issue, just feeling greedy next to my more frugal fiance (who got a free Samsung "dumb" phone with the last contract renewal, and could easily afford to upgrade but has no particular desire to do so).

I suppose I'm curious if there is anything else that I might be overlooking, any drawbacks or features someone might miss besides inability to run custom ROMs (etc). Otherwise the barriers are all psychological, and turn out to look rather silly written down.

11. koigirl macrumors 6502a

koigirl

Here's an idea. Try to buy a used 4S off Craigslist and activate your Verizon account with it. Then when new version iPhone comes out later this year (prolly fall), you will be able to sell the 4S for good money and use this to cover purchase of new model at fully subsidized price and enjoy benefits of 4G/LTE. Of course, this plan assumes next iPhone will be 4G/LTE. I have a 4S on AT&T and will be moving to Verizon only when the LTE iPhone is released.

12. cynics macrumors G3

You'll be surprised how many things you think are silly now until you don't have them.

Give it a couple days and pay attention to what you do. There are a lot of things that are a pita simply due to the lack of widgets. Checking mail, whether, sports, news etc etc. Some reason apple thinks its better instead of glancing at the phone to start menu diving thru apps to get the info you are looking for.

The notification system is very similar to android just not thought out. Since the back button is on the top in apps a notification will cover it up. So you are stuck waiting for it to time out.

On the same note there are things that are better.

Good news is if you don't like it they maintain there retail very well.

13. ctbear macrumors 6502a

Go to a Verizon store, pick up an iPhone and see if you are comfortable doing your everyday tasks with it. Pay attention to the differences between iPhone and Android phones like screen size, camera, apps that actually matter, etc.
    If you like iOS, I would suggest you go with 4S since it is noticeably faster than 4, and does not have antennagate. If you decide to stick with Android go with the Galaxy Nexus, there is really nothing else worthy to get.

14. daddyd302 macrumors member

daddyd302

I currently have both the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon and Iphone 4S on sprint. This is my first Iphone since November 2009. Looking over the both, the G. Nexus is just as smooth as the Iphone. There really isn't any huge difference between the two. You can expect both to be almost the same.

You can't use widgets on the Iphone without JBing it. Since I don't have JB on my Iphone I can't comment on it. The last time I JB my Iphone was back in 2009.

I would suggest you check craigslist or ebay and buy a cheap android phone until the Iphone 5 comes out if that is what you really want. The android phones will be cheaper then a use Iphone. If you need a phone right now and want android, then get the Galaxy Nexus. Just make sure you shop around for it. Check amazon, wirefly, Walmart, ect, ect. Don't buy it from Verizon, they charge full price.

15. Saroyan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again for the input. Turned out my local repair place can patch up my G2 for under $100, so I'll hold on to it until my contract expires in October. If the iPhone 5 is available then, I'll likely get it; otherwise I'll go for the Nexus. Appreciate your comments!

16. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

This is known as hipsterism. Hopefully you can overcome this terrible illness

17. Saroyan thread starter macrumors newbie

Or having been uncool as a kid and convincing yourself that's how you like it. Point taken, though!

18. cynics macrumors G3

Nothing wrong with challenging the norm and finding a product that suits your needs better.

While the iPhone is a great product it does have its downsides.

I think not being a power user the only things you'd miss would be toggles like wifi, Bluetooth, etc since apps can't access the settings of the phone. This is rumored to be changed in the next iOS update I believe.

Widgets, I learn to love them. I love being able to see a segment of a new email to give me that "is it important enough to check now". And of course weather, sports scores, etc

And 'set default'. You might find this surprising but you can't change the default browser or default video player. So you are stuck with links opening in safari if you click an external link.

Keyboards, if you like quick keys or Swype or whatever. To bad you only get a normal keyboard.

Cheaper apps. Most apps in the app store are about 1 dollar more expensive then there android marketplace counterpart. Like angry birds actually cost .99 in the app store lol. There is no trial run refund period either. So a lot more research is required before you find out you wasted your money. Lol

Then there are some technical things but only heavier users would miss them.

iPhone has a brilliant camera. Fairly stable. Good reception. Very easy to use for the most part. Apps are more likely to work so you don't need the trial run period for a none functioning app.

19. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Not necessarily. I expect my phone to work as an appliance. I spend enough of my time troubleshooting other systems. It's all about subjective preference. Speaking of which, the OP needs to focus on the OP's preferences rather than those of other people, being "cool" or "cred".

Again, subjective. That means you need to provide a lot more information on yourself and your specific needs/wants if you want feedback. If it was a universal matter then we'd all have either the 4 or the 4s.

Your call. Aversion to "cool and popular" is really just the same thing in my book.