Anyone who used to be a hardcore gamer who is now dried up and quitting?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by chrisrosemusic1, Apr 8, 2013.

1. chrisrosemusic1 macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

I have spent 10's of thousands over the last 7 years on Xbox and PS3 (and more recently another £1100 on an Alienware PC) but I've come to the point in life where I just don't care for it anymore. I've sold the PC to a friend, the Xbox went a while ago and I've just put the PS3 super slim (recent addition) on eBay with a couple of brand new games. I'm just not feeling it anymore - I log in, play for half hour and switch off when I used to play for hours on end. Yes, priorities and circumstances have changed over the years (child, fiancé, dog, business etc) but I used to love that feeling of opening and playing a new game.

I've still got a PS4 on pre order atm, but even that's becoming a debatable purchase.

Think I'll just stick to iOS gaming for the future 10mins of fun.

Just wondered whether anyone else is feeling old or has lost interest like this? Almost feel a bit sorry for myself haha.

2. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Was at a videogame store that sells claasic systems and there was a young kid with his Dad buying an Atari 2600 and a bunch of carts.

Some classic games are still cheap and fun, though the prices on the stuff, especially Nintendo, is creeping up....

This whole "gaming on a tiny screen with no real buttons" doesn't work for me....

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Yes, but about 5-6 years ago. Video games are fine when you're a young un, but it's difficult to find the times nowadays.

4. chrisrosemusic1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

Yeah the classics aren't the ones that really got me hooked in all honesty. Yes, had an NES/Mega Drive etc and Commodore's before that but I only REALLY got into it on Xbox 360 onwards. Time and a place in your life for everything I suppose.

I also understand the touch screen gaming predicament, but that's a better option than nothing at all for those small sections of time where I'm craving a bash at something :)

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I was in the same sort of boat; I used to play a lot of games but gradually fewer and fewer. However, for reasons unknown, about a month ago I suddenly got into it again; my Xbox has probably had more use over the past month than it's had for the previous six. I can't think of any specific reason for starting again; it just happened.

6. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

I go through spells, but have been ignoring my Xbox of late. I just finished the last COD which I got for Christmas. It wasn't that it took me that long just I seldom could be bothered. I find I play a lot more iOS games these days as it's more social. Otherwise I'm in a room all alone hogging the big TV. With iOS I can still be interacting with my wife and daughter (and even competing against).

7. TedM macrumors 6502

I feel like in general the game quality has gone down. Sure we expect more each time, but in reality they are giving the consumers what they want.

8. blasto2236 macrumors 6502a

I went through a similar dry spell last year. Sold my PS3 and all the accessories. Now, I wish I hadn't. My Mac is fine for playing games (and even managed Bioshock Infinite pretty well), but I'd rather just have a dedicated console. I'd imagine I'll be picking up a (relatively) cheap PS3 whenever GTA V comes out later this year.

9. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

I play a lot less than I used to, but it's really more a matter of available free time and other priorities. I still enjoy the hell out of it though, and I will certainly buy a PS4 at some point.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I thought that by working in games I'd get to play them. But that's a big fat lie. I played games loads whilst at college and university, but I barely have the time these days. Or if I do have time it gets put into one the games I always play (Team Fortress 2, Pokemon), the mild addictions.

I'm still going to buy all the next gen systems (maybe not the Xbox) and all the big games, but I'll play a quarter of them and one or two to completion.

(I've worked on more games and got my name I their credits than I have completed games in the last 12 months)

11. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

I'm curious: What exactly do you do?

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

No specific job title, I just bounce around games working as a creative director, designer, artist on PC and PS3/PS Vita games.

13. ianwuk, Apr 11, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2013

ianwuk macrumors regular

Yes, the same for me too. I used to be a passionate gamer but the lifen got in the way and I do not have as much time as I used to anymore. This had lead to me switching to portable gaming rather than the main consoles. I feel bad as their are tons of great 360 games I have missed out on.

14. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I have my times when I'm not interested in any game or console and i won't play a game for months then there is occasions where I play constantly, Its a back and fourth thing for me...that's why I keep the Vita around, it scratches the itch I get when I don't want to be bothered with the consoles.

Bless

15. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

I don't think I was ever "hardcore" but I do think that gaming is becoming less appealing. Sure I like the occasional game like Tomb Raider, and so far I'm enjoying Bioshock Infinite. That being said I only play when I'm up to date with my other work/commitments. It's strictly a casual pastime now that competes heavily with other hobbies.

16. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

I personally dip in and out, sometime I will play at least 5 hours a day seven days a week, though I haven't done that since August last year due to my final year at university.

I still keep an eye over the gaming world everyday. Right now, I spend more time talking/reading/watching game stuff on the internet than actually playing games. But that is not through choice.

17. Rychy, Apr 13, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2013

Rychy macrumors 6502

I tend to take long breaks from gaming. In the last year or two I've only played a couple games. Guessing I'll pick up the controller again when 'The Last of Us' comes out. I always keep up with what's going on in the gaming world, just not always playing anything. lol.

18. chilly willy macrumors regular

chilly willy

I was never a true hardcore gamer, but played more in the past. Having kids - especially older ones who need transportation to soccer and basketball games - as well as a career, tends to lessen free time. My wife also does not game.
    That said, certain titles - for me Mass Effect, Bioshock, KOTOR - will grab me. Having older kids now also means I can now share these titles with them when time allows, or at least play around them w/o fear they are traumatized!
    I'm enjoying using Steam and have found myself drifting back to computer games from consoles lately....some due to titles ( I like strategy games) and convenience of laptop gaming.

19. ianwuk macrumors regular

I play games a lot less than I used to and I do not have any of the latest systems so I mainly play older titles and retro PSX games the most. Although saying that, GRID and Hotline Miami on the Mac have got me using my MBP as a gaming machine for the first time ever. I have always been a console person when it comes to gaming.