Anyone wish they didn’t get a 17" MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mr. Chewbacca, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

I have been reading the posts and it seems like the 15" MBP is the overwhelming favorite. Has anyone gotten a 17" and wish they hadn't?

Just to give a little background, I am 6'8" very large frame with large hands and wrists, even for someone my size. I am thinking the 17" would fit me better and I kinda have my heart set on that big awesome screen but after reading these posts I'm having second thoughts.

If I didn’t like the 17" I guess I could return it. I'm going to keep my desktop but since it’s a PC I have a feeling I will like/use it less and less as I get used to the Mac.

I appreciate everyone's input and advise, whatdoyouthink? Since it will most likely become my primary computer should I go ahead with the 17 or the 15?
    :confused:

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I have the 17" and love it
    So does my GF

Mine is connected to a 23" Apple Cinema Display and sits on an mStand
    When traveling, I just disconnect and go

3. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

I've also gotten the notion that the 15" is the majority favorite, however I purchased the 17" for the full 1080p support, and it's been well worth it. I move around with it everyday, and it's no problem.

4. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

I have a 17" , my wife has a 15".

I prefer mine, except on a plane, its a little tight if you're in coach

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

The 15" is clearly the sweet spot for most folks
    But the 13" and the 17" are great for those who want them

It is your own personal preference

6. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

7. mark28, Dec 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2010

mark28 macrumors 68000

When I look at my 15' MBP, i think it's small to be honest. I'm happy with the 15", but at the next model, maybe i'll settle for a 17"

8. newdeal macrumors 68020

if I were you I would get an iMac and a 13". Even a 17" laptop is no replacement for a 21.5 or 27" desktop so you end up with a stationary computer that is too small or a portable computer that is too big. I would rather have both be the right size and for the price of the 17" you could get a 13" and an imac and be close

9. BlackJack325 macrumors member

I also have a 17" MBP love it...
    the 23" display sounds like a good idea... I was thinking a 32" 1080P HDTV to use as my recording studio monitor? :D

10. tasslehawf macrumors 6502

I have a 15" with the 1440x900 screen. At home I use it with a Dell U2410 24" er. Both screens have about the same pixel density.

I have been considering the 17 because I have to go into work about 1/3 - 1/2 the time and the 15 is kinda small by itself (iOS dev). But I worry that the 17" (which has the same resolution as my 24). Will be tough to use at home with the 24. Just too harsh of a transition.

I will probably stay with the 15 and maybe get a portable USB display (Samsung makes a couple that are pretty decent, so I've heard) to take to work. Or a monitor to leave at work.

Opinions?

11. BlackJack325 macrumors member

12. Mr. Chewbacca thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

That had crossed my mind. I will miss my wireless oversized keyboard and big monitor. I was thinking that I may try to set up them as a docking station for the laptop?

Only problem is that my gf wants to have an active computer in the house so she can get on the net without booting up her laptop (most of the time she just leaves her laptop at her office)

I'm sure their must be a way I can set up a dock stand and rig the wires in a way that I can plug both the PC and the dock at the same time, just put together some kind of toggle switch.

Sounds like a job for radio shack :)

13. tasslehawf, Dec 28, 2010

tasslehawf macrumors 6502

It's harder for me to see something that's alot smaller on one screen when I've been staring at a screen with bigger pixels for awhile.

Check out a KVM. IOGEAR makes the best ones.

14. Mr. Chewbacca, Dec 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2010

Mr. Chewbacca thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

Awesome!! I LOVE THIS FORUM!:D

Thanks

Thanks everyone, I think I'm going to go with the 17".

It will be another 2 months before I buy it since I have been using it as a carrot, motivitation to pay off the last of my debt before rewarding myself with a new MBP/iPad/Apple TV all in the same trip :D:D

15. Mac Composer macrumors member

My previous laptop (Powerbook G4) was the 17". I went with the 15" this time because I've added an 24" external monitor at home. Best of both worlds for me, dual screens at home and a lighter machine to carry around. The only thing I miss from the 17" is the Express port. I wish my 15" had that.

16. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

The 17" is top brass. The 15 (actually, it's the 13") might be the 'overwhelming favorite', but really the 15 and 13 inchers are in a seperate class than the 17", with the expresscard slot and hi res display (and the price). Most of the comments i've seen towards the 17" are that it's too heavy, even though its 2.1 lb and 1 lb heavier than the 13" and 15" respectively. Others make comments based on their experiences with other 17" machines which rightfully earn the title of desktop replacements/behemoths with thier massive size, clearly meant for portability rather than mobility. I believe the 17" encompasses both adequately.

17. MrX8503 macrumors 68000

I have a MBP13 and I love it. When I'm at a desk I dock it to an external 24" Dell monitor.

Portable as a laptop, sweet screen real estate at a desk.

18. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Where do you guys keep getting this stuff from?

19. SidBala macrumors 6502a

Go 17. I am not a big guy - 5'5" and yet, I don't mind carrying my 17 around. It is a bit heavy, but totally worth it.

20. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

All you gotta do is pay attention to the model of MBP that people talk about in their posts (despite what the post is about) and check every ones sigs and you will see a large imbalance towards 15" MBP's.

Me? Love the 15" but wish I had an air. I'm at a point in my life where I do less stuff on my computer than I used to but do find myself wanting to travel with it a lot. My first MBP was a 17" and once the screen size novelty wore off I was super bummed on the size.

21. wirelessmacuser, Dec 28, 2010

wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

I've owned a lot of new Mac Laptops over the last decade. I currently own the newest models of 13" 15" and 17" MacBook Pro.

If I had to choose just one it would be the 17" hands down without hesitation or a second thought. It's just a great laptop... period. Barely heavier or bulkier than my 15" the larger display is clearly worth it.

So why do I have all three? Because I really like Macs, I'm highly mobile, and I like to have choices. Since I can afford them, I own them.

Oh and by the way, I'm relatively thin, and not as tall as you at just 6'3", but I have large hands and long fingers. I find the extra large wrist rest around the keyboard and trackpad very comfortable, more so than my 15".

Just buy the 17" I can't imagine you not liking it.

Cheers... :)

22. Mr. Chewbacca thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

Safe to say I am sold. I was pretty sure I was going to go 17 no matter what but now I feel a lot better about it.

Thanks!

23. gonnabuyamacbsh macrumors 6502

Lol at having all three sizes. I'm guessing after the update you'll be getting three more?

24. bniu macrumors 6502a

My fantasy mac setup:

12 Core MacPro with 2 x 27" LED Cinema Displays with 64GB RAM plus 4x512GB SSD (it is a fantasy after all...)

iMac 27" i7 quad core with everything maxed out and SSD of course
    2 more Apple 27" LED Cinema Display (one for iMac, one for MBP 17")
    MBP 17" i7 fully maxed out with SSD
    MBA 11" Ultimate
    iPad 128GB 3G
    iPhone 5 64GB

better go work on some of my apps if I want to pay for all this above :D
    My rule for future computer purchases: NO SPINNING HARD DRIVES!!! I've had four of them crash on me already. I want an Airport Express With 4TB of flash attached to the side of it (Time Capsule Express).

25. miguueeel macrumors member

Keep dreaming