Anyone wishing they didnt get the 8/8+ and waited for the X?

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Dec 15, 2010
UK
This is true.

I love the 8+ and I know in my mind, that the classic screen shape is better for me.
But the OLED.. so beautiful...

How about you?
Certainly getting the x. As good as the 8 and 8 plus is very good it's still an outdated design that looks the same as my 7 plus again.

not worth paying £900 for ME when it's abit faster and wireless charging. I want a new look

Reactions: -BigMac-

-BigMac-

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Certainly getting the x. As good as the 8 and 8 plus is very good it's still an outdated design that looks the same as my 7 plus again.

not worth paying £900 for ME when it's abit faster and wireless charging. I want a new look
I can understand your logic. I was deciding between the two myself, but so many negative reviews about the software implementation on the X at the time freaked me out and I bit the bullet on the 8+.

Tbh I havent even used the wireless charging on it yet LOL
[doublepost=1508715339][/doublepost]
If I gave a rats about animojis, dual OIS and a narrow notched OLED I'd be upset with myself for buying the 8 Plus.

But since I don't... I'm not.

Are those the things that make the X the "flagship?" Cool... cuz I know it ain't the A11 and 256GB storage that I have in my 8 Plus.
Mmmm also valid points. I guess it comes down to personal preference in the end. Both are amazing phones, and industry leading. Did you know you would get the 8+ watching the keynote or did you have to think about it for a while?

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I can understand your logic. I was deciding between the two myself, but so many negative reviews about the software implementation on the X at the time freaked me out and I bit the bullet on the 8+.

Tbh I havent even used the wireless charging on it yet LOL
To be honest any software issues are there on IOS 11 more than anything. My home button on my 7 plus at times takes 4-6 secs to even react to anything

-BigMac-

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
To be honest any software issues are there on IOS 11 more than anything. My home button on my 7 plus at times takes 4-6 secs to even react to anything
Oh geez, thats annoying. i havent run into such issues even through the betas on the 7+.. did you clean install and the usual troubleshooting? iOS11 has been kind to me so far.. I have noticed the slight delay on the home button and did have the crackling noise on the speaker, but now that thats fixed, the home button delay isnt a deal breaker for me.

4-6 seconds is ridiculous. Must be pretty pumped to get the X

TravisPNW

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2017
Renton, WA
Mmmm also valid points. I guess it comes down to personal preference in the end. Both are amazing phones, and industry leading. Did you know you would get the 8+ watching the keynote or did you have to think about it for a while?
I knew about 4 seconds after the keynote was over I was getting the 8 Plus.

I am not sold on Face ID... didn't care about everything I mentioned in my first post... and love the Plus size and Touch ID.

The 8 Plus shares the same processor and storage as the X.

With all that being said, I couldn't think of a good reason to buy the X. So I didn't.

-BigMac-

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
I knew about 4 seconds after the keynote was over I was getting the 8 Plus.

I am not sold on Face ID... didn't care about everything I mentioned in my first post... and love the Plus size and Touch ID.

The 8 Plus shares the same processor and storage as the X.

With all that being said, I couldn't think of a good reason to buy the X. So I didn't.
fair enough :) I think you either love the X or you hate it, for that price especially.

I'm finding myself about halfway right now :/

Reactions: TravisPNW

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Oh geez, thats annoying. i havent run into such issues even through the betas on the 7+.. did you clean install and the usual troubleshooting? iOS11 has been kind to me so far.. I have noticed the slight delay on the home button and did have the crackling noise on the speaker, but now that thats fixed, the home button delay isnt a deal breaker for me.

4-6 seconds is ridiculous. Must be pretty pumped to get the X
lol yeah least this issue won't be there with the x. Looking forward to trying face ID. I'm sure it will work great in time.

I thought about doing a reset and start over but thought might as well wait for the x

-BigMac-

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
I have an 8 plus. No regrets. I'm also ordering the X. I replace my phones every few months.
wow lucky! Why do you replace them so often if you dont mind me asking? Do you resell them or?
[doublepost=1508715907][/doublepost]
lol yeah least this issue won't be there with the x. Looking forward to trying face ID. I'm sure it will work great in time.

I thought about doing a reset and start over but thought might as well wait for the x
Yeah faceid looks interesting, I wonder if they will further down allow it to unlock even when not looking directly at it :D

jettie1767

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2003
New Jersey, USA
wow lucky! Why do you replace them so often if you dont mind me asking? Do you resell them or?
[doublepost=1508715907][/doublepost]
Yeah faceid looks interesting, I wonder if they will further down allow it to unlock even when not looking directly at it :D
I get bored, sell and buy different phone...lol. This year alone, I had the 7 Plus, S7 Edge, S8, S8 Plus, 7 and now the 8 Plus.

-Leigh-

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2010
Adelaide, Australia
My wife got the 8 plus, and whilst the screen size is great compared to the 4.7 version, the phone is far too big for day to day use imho. She is starting to wish she waited and I know she will regret it once my X rocks up.

-BigMac-

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
My wife got the 8 plus, and whilst the screen size is great compared to the 4.7 version, the phone is far too big for day to day use imho. She is starting to wish she waited and I know she will regret it once my X rocks up.
Mmmm the plus size is definitely a little chunky given the screen size especially given the screen-bezel ratio of competitors.

Do you think the software issues arising from the notch will be addressed? ie list scrolling in landscape view

joeblow7777

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2010
No regrets. I put a lot of thought into my decision and didn’t pull the trigger on my 8+ until I knew for sure that it was the device that I wanted.

allthingsapple!

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2014
Between two minds myself..
I was completely satisfied with my 8 but chose to return it because I had a 7 plus and wireless charging wasn't reason enough for me to justify the extra costs...I've returned t and decided to wait for the X because I know myself and I know i'll want it. I was skeptical since it is a 1st gen product but it's apple...I'm sure it'll be fine.

joeblow7777

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2010
Most definitely, just comes down to design preference at that point I think.
I reckon everyone agrees 8 will look dated side by side with the X though..
Honestly, I don’t really think of the design as “dated”. The 8/8+ still looks pretty sleek to me. The whole bezels = dated thing is just another way that companies manipulate consumers into feeling that their current product is behind the times so they have to buy a new model to keep up with the Jones.

I chose function over form. Having a home button and TouchID, as well as a wider screen beat a lack of bezels in my eyes, but that’s just me.