Anyone with a good way to buy iPads "on the cheap"?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by FlyingHonda, Jun 27, 2010.

1. FlyingHonda macrumors newbie

FlyingHonda

After finishing my new i7 Hackintosh, I'm longing for the ability to use the internet, well, out of my cave-of-a-room... And i'm sorta strapped for cash (CURSE YOU SHINY GTX 470!)... Would buying an iPad with a cracked screen and replacing that be a good idea, or is there a better way?

2. Surely Guest

Surely

3. SMacDuff macrumors 6502

SMacDuff

Lefty down on the corner of Fifth and Main (just duck into the alley there), has one or two that "have fallen into his hands". :D

4. Figbash Acrobat macrumors 6502a

Figbash Acrobat

5. Mad.Rider macrumors member

6. FlyingHonda thread starter macrumors newbie

FlyingHonda

Hmm... Craigslist has created some REALLY, bad experiences. *Shudder*

Its not? Damn you blindness!

7. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

HBN
    Home Boy Network

You gotta come to the hood tho. Decatur, Ga

8. Surely Guest

Surely

I've had nothing but good experiences on craigslist. Bought stuff, sold stuff, no problems.

9. FlyingHonda thread starter macrumors newbie

FlyingHonda

Well, I now know its hard to buy motorcycles from potheads while they're
    still smoking pot. You learn something new everyday!

10. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

I say it is best to save up and get one. If you get one with a cracked screen and replace it yourself I'm sure it will void the warranty and stuff.

I do know there have been some legit listings on craigslist...they aren't "cheap" but they are probably legit. Mostly people saying they bought it, used it for a week, and regretted the purchase and are selling it for face price minus sales tax. So if you are buying a legit ipad with a still good warranty it will probably run you at least the face cost of the ipad.

11. tinyj316 macrumors newbie

I just bought my 32GB wi-fi ipad on craigslist and have been extremely happy with the purchase.

The guy I got it from gave it away for a song at $550 with a square-trade warranty, a decent case, screen protector, and a bunch of bar prep apps (law school) pre-loaded...had no use for the apps, but the fact that I could turn around and flip this on eBay for a profit is very nice... Just make sure you're comfortable with the seller, and you know what you're getting... Do some research beforehand too... and ask to see an original receipt if you don't think the purchase is legit.

12. Gib macrumors member

Gib

Have you tried selling a kidney...? It doesn't necessarily have to be yours.

13. FlyingHonda thread starter macrumors newbie

FlyingHonda

I guess my best bet is just to sell my possessions and/or bodily appendages on ebay...

14. Figbash Acrobat macrumors 6502a

Figbash Acrobat

Yup, like I was gettin' at...you're not likely to find an iPad "on the cheap" since it's a new product that's only been out for a few months.

15. koruki macrumors 65816

koruki

i think the iPad wasn't aimed at people on a tight budget lol

16. gigaguy macrumors 65816

Well, due to my cheapness, I needed to recoup the retail!! I paid for my 3G 32gb iPad from apple.com. So I used eBay and craigslist to recoup my cost. How?
    Well, I'm an advanced ebayer, it takes time but I monitored ebay and craigslist for ipads, esp those with optional accessories and used microsofts 8% Bing discount. best deal was a sealed 16 wifi for $400, resold for $525. bought and sold 4 wifi ipads. i actually passed over more deals than I took.

But percentage wise more was made on the accessories, esp weeks ago. I've sold about 6 apple cases for $60-75 each. one I got free from Apple, one for $20, others basically free with iPad purchases. Sold 3 cam kits for 50-60 each. i just sold a sealed apple case tonight for $60. earlier they were going for 75.

Anyway, I decided craigslist was not safe and have stopped selling ipads.
    But it's easy to flip cases and cam kits, but demand peak is lessening some..
    I see a little of the same craziness on the apple iPhone 4 bumpers but I'm done flipping. I recouped about $500.

17. FlyingHonda thread starter macrumors newbie

FlyingHonda

I like that idea, as I am also a heavy ebay user... Im currently auctioning my 22 inch Acer monitor, with high hopes that it might sell for at least $150.

18. AJsAWiz macrumors 68040

AJsAWiz

Uh . . . . the guy on the corner :p

Sorry, but I just couldn't resist. Seriously, other than refreshed products I don't know of any inexpensive Apple products. Perhaps someone else knows :confused:

19. steamtoy macrumors regular

For god's sake, did u get that $400 16gb iPad? I was almost there and while I was confirming the payment it was gone. Someone just steal it from me...

20. gigaguy macrumors 65816

no it was CL local purchase. guy won it at work. His secretary set up the sale.

also Microsoft's Bing cashback program is ending on July31. right now it is 8% for ebay, I'm hoping they go out with a bang and raise it. In the past it was up to 20% for ebay purchases. gotta love that.

21. shox2k2 macrumors 6502

I'm also looking for a good deal on an ipad. I won't really need it until feb/march of next year so if I don't find one cheap hopefully they'll be releasing ipad 2 w/facetime and i'll just pay regular price.

22. fpsBeaTt Suspended

fpsBeaTt

On a slightly different issue, why would you waste money on a GTX 470? Should have bought a 5870.

23. kcnck macrumors newbie

2 ways to get a ipad at discount deals

One way is the Apple way. If you are a teacher or student, and if your college or school is recognized by Apple then you can claim rebates for Apple computer and third party softwares. Check it here

Next way is to go to facebook or twitter freebies. Another way is something that will give you a discount deal, but no one can say how much as it depends on your bargaining and the vendors decision. You need to first know what accessories you may need for future and then buy IPAD with them . Surely you will get a discount. You can check the accessories like dock, stylus, connectors and others and where to get them here.

24. co.ag.2005 macrumors 68000

co.ag.2005

25. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

Oh man...last week they were offering them for $250 off on corporateperks.com. The only thing is they were only offering 300 of them. I was sitting there waiting on the site for the deal to open and as soon as my computer said i could get the deal I tried to get it. But they were already freaking gone! 300 gone in according to them less than 8 seconds but i freaking tried the second they were available so I doubt it was 8 seconds.