Anyone with a late 08/09 MBP that works perfectly?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Scrameustache, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Scrameustache macrumors newbie

Hey guys.

I've been looking for a laptop to use as a music server and a recording studio. The new Macbook Pro 15'' seemed to be perfect. I'd buy the Apogee Duet to go with it and could record my music, listen to music with the Duet as a DAC and play some occasional games(mostly games by Blizzard and Valve). But I've been checking the message boards around the net and it seems a lot of people complain about screen flickering, cooling fans not working properly causing overheating, and black screens of death while playing games. I don't live near an Apple store, so if there are problems with my Macbook I'd have to do all the exchanging or the repairing by mail. Is there anyone out there that bought one of the new Macbook Pros in late 2008 or 2009 that hasn't run in on any of those problems? Please reassure me. And forgive my english it's not my first language.

2. NickM macrumors 6502

I recently ordered my first Mac, a Late 2008 MacBook Pro (made in Jan. 2009) through eBay.
    It is perfect with no flaws or problems.
    I also am into music recording/editing, but have been using a PC until a couple weeks ago when I got this Mac.

3. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Mine works great. No major flaws that I can see.

4. percival504 macrumors regular

5. entropy1980 macrumors regular

entropy1980

It took 2 returns but my third has no issues....thank God for Amazon's great return policy!

6. 7even macrumors 6502a

Same, but I got mine from the Apple store. :D

7. 11800506 macrumors 65816

No major issues and it's my first machine. The only minor issue I do have is there is some backlight bleed, but it doesn't bother me and I never notice it.

When on a message board you have to remember that people are only going to come onto it to complain about a problem, so you wind up seeing a much larger percentage of issues than there actually are. People don't go and post threads (generally) about how they have a perfect computer.

8. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I have had mine since the day they were released. I had seven hard freezes during the first few months but none since the first of the year. I use mine everyday for everything from internet to shooting tethered to a DSLR and editing images.

9. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Mine was flawless since I got it back in October. The logicboard had to be replaced this week though. It's 50/50 with the Unibodys. Most common issue is something wrong with the screen...

10. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

you got to remember that there are numerous threads about how computers dont work. and to contrast not that many threads about how great ppl's computers are. it wouldnt really be a thread just a tally hahaha. and the only other time you hear about things working perfectly is when someone starts a thread asking about it. dont let it scare you away from buying one.

rare chance for me here....MINE WORKS PERFECTLY:)

11. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Non plastic :apple: products are pretty solid.
    Go on and enjoy your new Mac.
    Some months have passed already so many of the problems should be already fixed.
    Keep in mind that if you face a problem. just be a customer, act like a customer and :apple: will take care of you like a customer deserves.

I have a MBP Nov'08, fine, bought in MacMall.

12. golfhero macrumors member

I found a perfect one on my third try. The first two had screen flickering and bad backlight bleeding. The latest one (2.93 15" MBP) is awesome. Everything works perfectly and the screen is beautiful...

13. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

ditto.

Flawless 2.4 unit here. Minimal light bleed (in my eyes).

Screen isnt as good as the 2.4 penryn it replaced, but oh well.

14. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven

2.53 GHz 15" here.
    All good.

And I've been extremely happy with the way that Apple has taken care of me when I've had issues in the past with other macs.

15. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

I've had it for over a month now and no flaws that I can see. Sure, a tiny bit of lightbleed here and there, but nothing that annoys me. Or that 0.5 mm gap between the lid and front of the laptop (about which so many people are going crazy here). Just remember, if you have any problems with it, Apple should take it back within 14 days and then you also have the warranty.

16. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Only problems with the unibody mbps both on the 15" and 17" are the flickering screen on 1-3 brightness.

17. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

18. johata3 macrumors regular

No problems at all. I have the late macbook pro too. The only small problem I have I guess is the black keyboard. It gets greasy easily. :(

19. neilhart macrumors 6502

neilhart

No problems with the UMBP and I use it daily (5 days a week) for 8 to 10 hours at work and then truck it home and use it to read mail, get on this forum and maintain/edit my photos.

No flaws with the system. I do question some of Apples design decisions but that is another thread. I upgraded almost immediately to a 500 GB hard drive and have switched to non Apple 4 GB of DDR3 memory.

Neil