anyone with an Nvidia 8600 GT MBP holding out on class action?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lhsa, Jan 12, 2011.

1. lhsa macrumors newbie

i have a SR MBP with a 8600 GT chip that's likely covered by the recent class action settlement. if i've had no problems with my MBP, should i send it in for a chip replacement? could the replacement cause problems that don't currently exist?

2. HBOC macrumors 68020

i highly doubt that they will fix it if it isn't acting up. If there was a mandatory recall, that is a different story. I have a Penryn MBP, and also have the 8600GT (512MB Nvidia) and have had the logicboard replaced twice now in just over two years.

You have a 3 year warranty I do believe on the card..

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

class action; for what? Apple isn't denying repairs and will cover the GPU for four years from the date of purchase, meaning every machine with the 8600m gt is covered.

4. lhsa thread starter macrumors newbie

perhaps my title wasn't clear.

the class action suit against nvidia is now settled and any owner of a MBP within the serial number range included in the settlement can have nvidia replace their 8600 GT chip.

my question is really whether i should allow them to replace the chip despite having no problems (essentially protecting against future problems to the logic board) or if i should leave well enough alone. seems from this forum that failure is inevitable.